Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

jeting PWK?, clutch weights to bring RPM's down and increase acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default etting PWK, clutch weigghts to bring RPM's down.

I've been watching some 39 PWK carbs through online auctions to get for my scrambler. and need to know what base jets to order to run it on the stock pipe. not exact of course I'd get about 5 but what would be the starting jeting for a trail cut head, v-force reads, clamp on and a straight through silencer( no baffles 12 inches long)

Also I'm running an EPI orange primary clutch spring and I'm over shooting my mark some for full shift out. I'm hitting 6000 rpm's. I was thinking of getting some new clutch weights to bring this down abit and from what I have read searching through posts heavier weights tend to give firmer engagement and abit more acceleration. Anyone know what I should try 56 or 58's? S cut or the 10- 56 or 10- 58's? I figured s58's or s 56's would be good but don't want to pull my shift out down too much and havn't messed with fly weights yet.

thanks for all and any help. mods can be found in my signature.

Old 04-30-2005, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jeting PWK?, clutch weights to bring RPM's down and increase acceleration?

I had thought about buying some of those carbs as well for my wifes bike but when you consider what they are going for and what you will have to replace then it kinda seemed cost prohibitive. You have to have a new pilot since those come with like a 40 something and the slide and needle are different too. The main jets would be your cheapest part. I would think a 165 or 168 would work fine for you. I'm just using a violet primary with s55 weights and sometimes I'll run the s55 weights. I really can't tell that much of a diff. in the weights. I do think that the violet primary is awesome for a race mod but not for a stock pipe. I had a HPD red/yellow for my trail mod with the s55 weights and it worked great. I'm not real sure how it will work on a stock pipe though since it makes it's power at a diff. RPM. Have you considered getting a aftermarket exhaust??

Old 04-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default jeting PWK?, clutch weights to bring RPM's down and increase acceleration?

I have but havn't ever been able to figure out which pipe to get. I change my mind every week. literaly.(swearch for my user name and topics ive posted)

I ride tight woods and occasionally get to power lines were I can open her up. So I don't think I could really us one. Im looking at a hotseat from a friend right now, but hes taking his off because he can't really use the power band. talking with bubba a month or two ago he seemed to think a flat slide carb would be a good mod. I've wanted a pipe but with my epi orange clutch spring I already get caught in some tricky scenarios from loss of traction. any more engagement and I could easily see myself getting stuck. all the pipes need even more rpm engagement.

the epi orange is 75 pounds at engagement. ive gotten better at using it but it can be abit much at times.the heavier weights should pull the engagement down abit which would be good. i'd like engagement at about 55-60pounds.

reading what some of the 500 scrammy guys have done some have reported better acceleration from heavier weights. plus it seems most aftermarket kits use new weights.

also this quad will hopefully go to my future wife and she wont want high engagement. Im looking at getting a banshee now just because the price is good.

Old 04-30-2005, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

what has to be done to the slide? i figured pilot and main jet and don't mind doing the work. I thought about a tmx but no one seems to like its jetting problems.

Old 04-30-2005, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

LOL. I hear you on changing your mind. I'm the same way. Drives my wife bonkers.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] The slide needs to be changed out completely. They sell for like 60 or 70 bucks from carbparts.com.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Yeah. That can stop you in your tracks real quick. Sounds like you are in between what most people want. Hey my wifes bike has a HPD plain spring with the s53's. The engagement isn't much higher than stock but it really pulls hard on top and mid. That may be something to think about. Plus she has the HPD pipe and it still hauls ***. Of course she has porting but it ran real good before with just a pipe. She didn't like high engaging clutches so this is what bubba recommended and she loves it.

Old 05-01-2005, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

thats the same pipe set up I was thinking of getting. I was just going to hold off if I get a shee almost bought one in need of som TLC tuesday.

do you know what slide I need? I'm going to price things out before I cancal my sniper.

Old 05-01-2005, 06:39 AM
Pro Rider

The slide is a 6.5 and the needle is a eeh and pilot is a 35.

Old 05-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

thanks shaun im keeping an eye on the carb even having to modify it. I should save about a $100.00

Old 05-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

stock pipe peak around 6-2000 rpm,on a stock cylinder 162 main jet should
run as it must go,maybe on the lean side a little.
around 35-38 pilot jet.
sorry but the stock pipe will only pull 55 g weight to still maintain good rpm and top speed,you're wasting money to go heavier on a stock motor.the new update from HPD on the pwk,is the 6.5 slide third or fourth
clip.

Old 05-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

well I lost the auction, the carb I was looking at had a 7.0 slide(kx 250). would this have been too lean?

im going to the local junk yard today to scavenge some parts and they have a couple hundred carbs in the back. I was thinking of looking for one there for a kx250.

sucks I lost the auction by like 8 bucks.

Quick Reply: jeting PWK?, clutch weights to bring RPM's down and increase acceleration?