Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'04 SP 700 Wheels ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 SP 700 Wheels ?

my '04 SP 700 is running on '27 ITP 589 M/S Tires w/ Stock rims. I didnt get aftermarket wheels when i purchased my 589's from Highlifter but now i want / need some. Im looking at black wheels / rims instead of chrome, but chrome is fine, what size is appropriate for my '27 589's and can i order them online from somewhere?
----------------------
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
'27 ITP 589 M/S
3000 Warn Winch (just added)

2001 Honda Rancher ES
2500 Warn Winch
(FOR SALE)

Old 05-02-2005, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

help [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
----------------------
'27 ITP 589 M/S

2001 Honda Rancher ES
2500 Warn Winch
(FOR SALE)

Old 05-02-2005, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

You can go here and look at the wheels. I have the c-series type 6 and you can look at my pics to see them.

Old 05-03-2005, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

I dont understand the sizes on the site, (i am familiar with the site). So if i have 27' ITP 589 M/S Tires what size wheel is appropiate. Im a lil confused, i never buy wheels, This is my 2nd set of tires on stock rims.

----------------------
'27 ITP 589 M/S

2001 Honda Rancher ES
2500 Warn Winch
(FOR SALE)

Old 05-03-2005, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

SPORTSMAN70003 thanks for the help. Do the Type 6 C-Series wheels come in black?, and have you felt any change whatsoever with the reduction in weight when the Type 6 C-Series wheels were added? Thanks.
----------------------
'27 ITP 589 M/S

2001 Honda Rancher ES
2500 Warn Winch
(FOR SALE)

Old 05-03-2005, 04:20 AM
Pro Rider

You can get the type 4 in black you need 12x7 front and 12x8 rears or you could also go 12x7 rears.
I think the type 5 and 6 are only available in black in sport quad sizes like 10" wheels.

check out www.tires-n-stuff.com

Jim

here is some wheel info from Douglas...

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS - FAQs
FIND MORE SAFETY INFORMATION HERE

Q. What Torque Spec. should I use for Bead Lock retaining bolts?

A. 8-10 ft/lbs for 8”, 9”, 10” (1/4” bolts). 15-18 ft/lbs for 15” (5/16” bolts). (back to top)

Q. Why did my wheels bend?

A. Low tire air pressure is the cause of many bends & dents in wheels. Remember, you probably drive or ride your off road vehicle differently than you do with your car (wheels on the ground!), and your car uses 35 lbs of air pressure, which cushions any blow to the wheel. Wheel bend occurs when the tire compresses and the wheel takes a “direct hit” from either a crushed suspension or low tire pressure or a combination of both. When the tire collapses the next thing to hit the ground is the wheel, and 300+ lbs of force is a lot to expect from a wheel. If you are going to jump at all, run the maximum air pressure your tires allow—you will find the maximum operating pressure on the tire sidewall. Flimsy tires with a 3 PSI maximum pressure should be avoided. (back to top)

Q. Why did my rear wheel bend on the inside?

A. When a wheel is struck in an upward motion with low air pressure a longer wheel half is more pliable. The inner half is less forgiving which will result in a bent inner wheel half. (back to top)

Q. Why should I run more air?

A. Air pressure is the key to the longevity of any wheel. Air protects the wheel from contact with the ground. We should also add the harder the tire the more you can fine tune suspension, because you can tell it's a shock that is too soft, not the tire. (back to top)

Q. What is a good tire pressure to run for MX or jumping of ATV's?

A. Start with the highest pressure your tire will allow. The maximum pressure is molded into the sidewall of your tire. Remember, the load carrying capacity of your tire is determined by its construction, but generally increases with air pressure. (back to top)

Q. Why should the tire be wider than the wheel?

A. When running a wider wheel than tire, the edge of the wheel is exposed to direct contact with obstacles. For off road applications, run the tire at least 2 inches wider than the wheel. The tire bulge is normal and will act as a “bumper” for the rim lips. (back to top)

Q. What is a bead hump?

A. The bead hump is the raised portion of the wheel just inside the outer lips that looks like a big wedding ring. Its purpose is to keep the tire mounted on the wheel. Most wheels now have “safety beads” which is a fancy expression for wheels with bead humps. With low pressure and severe riding, even safety beads may not be enough. If you are going to ride like an ANIMAL, you should consider our beadlock system, making it impossible for the tire to move. (back to top)

Q. What is a bead seat?

A. A bead seat is the area between the bead hump, and the outer lip. It is where the tire rests during use. (back to top)

Q. Why do I need a drop center?

A. The "drop center" of the wheel is the valley near one bead area. The purpose of the drop center is for ease of tire mounting. If there were not a drop center it would be hard to get the tire over the outer lip of the wheel. During the tire mounting process, one edge of the tire bead must drop into this area, while the opposite side of the bead is push over the lip of the wheel. Failure to do so could stretch, cut or damage the bead area of the tire, or even bend the wheel rim. Mounting is best done by professionals and it is dangerous when safety precautions are not observed. Click here for more Safety Information. (back to top)

Q. Why is Douglas Wheel's rolled lip a better alternative?

A. Our rolled lip was designed with a true racer in mind. The rolled lip takes the place of a welded in ring. It is very tough and sturdy. Used by 18 out of 20 top 20 GNC Pro's, it has the advantage of adding strength without “collecting” mud, which causes vibration from out of balance. (back to top)

Q. What are the pros and con's of running a wider offset?

A. Wider Offset is a common expression for a wheel with the same overall width, but a center location that makes the Vehicle wider (or narrower). In our part numbering system, a typical description will look something like “10 x 5 (2+3)” That is a 10” diameter x 5” wide wheel. The (2+3) indicates the offset, with 2” being the inside part. The thing to remember is the SMALLER the first number in ( ), the wider your Vehicle will be.

A wider Vehicle is generally more stable. A narrower Vehicle increases rollover tendencies, but will operate in tighter quarters.

A different offset wheel is an inexpensive way to widen or narrow the overall stance. It is a way to add stability (wider) or improve clearance on narrow trails or trailers (narrower).

A word or two of caution is now appropriate: Changing offset will change the way your Vehicle behaves, and affect the load on other components. If you try to narrow the Vehicle, you could run into clearance problems with suspension components. Widening the Vehicle with offset will generally increase steering effort and stress on ball joints, bearings, etc.

Douglas Wheel offers the best variety of choices to customize your Ride. (back to top)

Q. Why does my billet center wheel have "play, or slop"; in the boltholes when I mount the wheel?

A. The billet center wheels require a tapered lug nut to center the wheel. Call your local dealer or distributor for more info. (back to top)

Q. Why is a nut plate a better setup on a bead lock wheel?

A. A nut plate sits behind the integral lip of the bead lock. Each nut plate retains 2 bolts that come through the outer ring, and intergral ring. They do come in different sizes to compensate for wheel diameter. If you have ever owned a welded bead lock, and have broken or stripped out the clamp ring bolts, you must drill, and re-tap the wheel, and it is very time consuming, and troublesome. When a nut plate is either stripped, or if a bolt is broken off you can just replace one nut plate at a minimal fee, and have it fixed with very little trouble. The nut plate is designed so that no wrench is needed to hold it and it distributes the clamping loads while adding reinforcement. (back to top)

Q. I have a Polaris four wheeler, and I bought a set of Douglas Wheel's and the center is too thick, and the studs are not exposed enough to put a nut on. What should I do?

A. Polaris makes a stud kit. Contact your local Polaris dealer. Here is the part number 7515513. (back to top)

Q. Why does Douglas Wheel offer a 4/136 bolt pattern instead of a 4/137 for the V-Force 700?

A. Our tolerance specs are not as lenient as some of our competitors bolt patterns. We keep to the highest standards to insure quality, and a sure fit. (back to top)

Q. When I replace my wheels from stock to aftermarket what lug nuts should I use?

A. When switching to an STD center wheel you must use a flat surfaced nut. It can be flanged, or a washer can be used behind the nut.
DO NOT RUN A TAPERED LUG INTO A FLAT SURFACED WHEEL. (back to top)

Q. What is a barbed wheel?

A. Barbed wheels have added, and more aggressive bead humps to insure tire lock. This feature is for Go Karting wheels. (back to top)

Q. In Karting what is an American, or European bolt pattern?

A. By far the most common American pattern is 3/2.5 inches & European is 3/58 millimeters. (back to top)

Q. What is the best setup / wheel combination for MX ATV?

A. Douglas Wheel's double rolled lip 10X5 4+1 for the front. It helps leverage ratios, and every aftermarket a-arm company designs their leverage off running 4+1 offsets. For the rear Douglas wheel's 8X8 bead lock wheel. It comes STD with a rolled lip on the inside half, and a nut plate kit mounted on an integral lip. (back to top)

Q. What is the best setup/wheel combination for Cross Country?
A. When riding C/C you must finish the race. That is why a bead lock is a must. Our 10X5 4+1 Shamrock center is the best wheel for this application. It is narrow enough to carve the woods, and durable enough to withstand the constant jarring a trail can offer. For the rear we have a 9X8 (bead locks) that comes standard with a rolled lip on the inside, and a nut plate kit mounted on an integral lip. (back to top)

Q. What is the best setup/wheel combination for Dunning?

A. We offer our Sand Shamrock. This wheel was designed with the weekend warrior in mind. It puts our lightweight .125 (blue label) wheel with the style of our shamrock center. This wheel combines style and grace to become the best sand wheel on the market. We offer it in Honda, and Yamaha bolt patterns. (back to top)

Q. What is the best setup/wheel combination for Recreation?

A. This is hard to tell someone what he or she would need when we cant see, or know everything you are doing with your vehicle. We will give you guidelines, and we ask you to use your best judgment. For dunning, and light recreation we recommend our .125 (blue label) wheel. For someone wanting to get little more aggressive we have our .160 (black label) wheel. For those who are maybe doing a little more jumping, and harder recreation we have our .190 (red label) wheel. Keep in mind NO wheel is indestructible, and always remember if you are saving money by using .125 wheels, but buying 2-3 sets a year you could have saved money in the long run with a thicker wheel. (back to top)

1 3 4 0 N o r t h M e l r o s e D r i v e - V i s t a , C a l i f o r n i a 9 2 0 8 3

Old 05-03-2005, 08:21 AM
Pro Rider

I have size 12x7 front & rear with 26x10x12 & 26x12x12 Mudlites. If you want aluminum and black look a the type 4 they also come in 12x7 front and rear. Or if you want a steel wheel look at the Delta steel wheels and the also come in 12x7 front and rear. Alot of aftermarket wheels are 12x7 front and rear some are 12x7 front and 12x8 rear.

Old 05-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all your help Jimmy and SPORTSMAN, ima bought to order me some [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
----------------------
'27 ITP 589 M/S

2001 Honda Rancher ES
2500 Warn Winch
(FOR SALE)