Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Sportsman 800 Owners.... Must Read!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Sportsman 800 Owners.... Must Read!

If you own an 800 EFI maybe we can help each other.

I purchased mine about 40 miles ago..... and here is what I have found so far!

Too much power, hard to keep the tires stickin'! Good Problem!
Man can I hold the beer on this one.... Another Good Problem!

BAD PROBLEMS!

Lost a Cluch Sheathe after the first ride... Dealer ended up replacing the whole clutch. I noticed this due to the fact it wanted to keep going when I came to a stop. Even facing up a slope.... Thought it was out of alignment. Still creepes, but not as bad and dealer wants me to break it in a little more!

Tires don't stick to the beads very well... Beads are leaking pretty good... Filled one tire with the Polaris Slime and will probably do the rest!
Not just my machine only.... I know of 4 total... all having an issue with at least one tire. This could be caused by making the first trip on our neww wheelers to the gravel pit. The sand gets in there before the bead seals down good! Burn the tires out on a nice trail before dunking them in sand and water?

The last problem seems almost stupid.... I use my wheeler to mow a few acreas at about 5-7 MPH and on a 55 degree afternoon I had just finished up after about an hour of mowing, noticed that my right leg had gotten a little warm, but it was getting dark and didn't expect what I found the next morning.
I had put the machine in the garage and the next morning the right side panel had turned into liquid and burnt a hole completely through the panel.
Here is what I think everyone should do.... Tell your Polaris dealer about this post.... and have him order the new Fiberglass Fabric made by 3M that simply sticks to the back of the side panel. I wish I had a P/N, but I will get one! Here is what I did to correct mine. I informed the dealer and he ordered me a new side panel with the tin-foil reflective tape already on it! And he ordered me this new 3M Fiberglass heat reflective tape to put between the exhaust and the side panel. What I found was I had fried the side panel only and another case I had heard about fried the side panel and the rear fender closest to the side panel. So I applied 2/3 of the 3M stuff to the rear of the side panel and 1/3 to the rear fender portion just behind the side panel.

I now have somewhere around 60 miles on the machine and mowed since then on an 80 degree day, and I still feel the heat, but I haven't burnt a whole in it yet.

Hope this helps you guys out and I will soon have the 3 way headlight mod and the reverse over-ride toggle switch mod done to the new 800 if anyone's interested.... let me know.... Or if you have performed it already maybe you can help me?

The headlight mod is a simple rectifier diode between the green and yellow wire from the handlebar to the pod.

The reverse over-ride mod is a toggle switch that is placed between a brown wire going to the ground block under the front hood and the (I THINK ITS A PURPLE OR PURPLE AND WHITE WIRE also under the front hood???? SOMEWHERE? I have done this mod on 3 700 EFI'S but not the 05's yet.

Jon

Old 05-09-2005, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello everybody, my first post here. After reading this I checked on my plastic on my new 800 cause I remember my leg getting hot a few times on slow sections of rides. I took off the side pannel and where it overlaps the rear fender the tip of my rear fender is melting. I will see what my dealer will do about the problem cause it has been only around 60 degrees here and can imaging what it will do come summer pulling a trailer around the ranch. I was wondering if any of you had tried the fiber-wrap that is used on automotive headers? I have a roll of it in the shop left over from my dodge dakota project, my only concern was not to "cook" the pipe, I think if I where to wrap the pipe only in about a foot long section right behind the plastic above the footwell it may work well. But will it put too much stress/heat on the metal where the "Y" section is? Thanks for any info and the heads up on the plastic issue.

Old 05-10-2005, 03:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey there Mywayout.... Just curious what your dealer has said to you,or if Polaris has gotten back to you. I've read about this problem before.And its about the only one that is scaring me right now with the 800,It's obviously a problem,your not the first I've heard of it. My bike was supposed to have been shipped as of Monday May9/05 and it's to arrive here on Thursday. I'm hoping they have fixed this problem.I've already emailed Polaris tonight,Hopefully I hear from them tomorrow and see what they say. In the mean time keep us informed,I don't want something like this to keep me from riding my new beast . Also,I'll post the quote from the last guy from another board. First his problem, then how they supposedly fixed it for him at his dealer.

(problem from the other user) New Sp800 EFI first ride short day only 20 miles.
First 20 miles exhaust pipe so hot that removable right side cover melted and also some of the black plastic melted. Was running 7-12 MPH the last 1.5 miles when plastic melted. Fan cycled on and off occasionally, coolant was not overheating. Engine lunges or dies when trying to move slowly around a tree or rock. Runs good if accelerating quickly. Dealer said never ran into this problem, any ideas????

(His dealer's solution)
It's fixed!! Bare wire and bad TPS. Replaced melted plastic. More power now than befor, real beast!!!

Old 05-10-2005, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

Yes this is a problem. Here are my pictures:

http://www.ansley.net/temp/100_5261_Medium.jpg
http://www.ansley.net/temp/100_5262_Medium.jpg

This was from 70 degree temps riding in low for hours on end. I will contact my dealer for replacement but I wont look to them to fix it. I am having the header Jet-Hot coated and will probably go a step into the overkill range and also wrap it in the exhaust wrap.