Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What are these Polaris fluids really?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are these Polaris fluids really?

Your next post is going to be{why is my quad stuck in 4wheel drive}Ive tryed most everthing out there.And have learned the hard way.In the front hubs use the right stuff.

Old 05-17-2005, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

Except for the Gent that told you the ATF for hub fluid basically the answer is none of these guys know what the stuff really is. As usual you've got the amsoil guys but that is a fad across the mechanical world
hold on ther georgia, matt asked if there was better lubricants to use besides the polaris brand stuff and that's what some of us gave him. yes it is better than polaris stuff. i beg to differ about amsoil being a fad. i'd put my amsoil up against any lubrication product you can find and 99.9% of the time i'll beat it. there is plenty of documentation to back it up. maybe you saw or heard of an engine that had amsoil in it at the time of mechanical failure and low and behold people blame it on the oil. i don't know. nevermind that the engine was worn slap out to start with. it's not a miracle oil and will not make a worn out engine perform like new and never wear out. if the peice is too far gone then it's just plain gone.

steve

facts are facts--------next

Old 05-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: stumpjumper400
Except for the Gent that told you the ATF for hub fluid basically the answer is none of these guys know what the stuff really is. As usual you've got the amsoil guys but that is a fad across the mechanical world
hold on ther georgia, matt asked if there was better lubricants to use besides the polaris brand stuff and that's what some of us gave him. yes it is better than polaris stuff. i beg to differ about amsoil being a fad. i'd put my amsoil up against any lubrication product you can find and 99.9% of the time i'll beat it. there is plenty of documentation to back it up. maybe you saw or heard of an engine that had amsoil in it at the time of mechanical failure and low and behold people blame it on the oil. i don't know. nevermind that the engine was worn slap out to start with. it's not a miracle oil and will not make a worn out engine perform like new and never wear out. if the peice is too far gone then it's just plain gone.

steve

facts are facts--------next

Oh I don't doubt in the least that amsoil is a good oil. I just will never agree that it's worth what people pay for it. And I can't stand their marketing strategy.

Old 05-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

what marketing strategy? price? it will cost you less in the long run. in most cases it's cheaper than oem synthetics (especially harley synthetics). i guess it's more personal preference in piece of mind for my engines to run the best that i can with better results than other brands.

Old 05-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

First oil change I switched to Amsoil 0w40 and find it does not break down as fast as the Polaris oil. In the hubs Mobil1 synthetic, takes so little I change it often. I use Mobil1 synthetic in the front diff but am still using Polaris oil in the Transmission. I have almost 3000miles on my Sportsman and have never had any problems.......

Old 05-20-2005, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

Oh I don't doubt in the least that amsoil is a good oil. I just will never agree that it's worth what people pay for it. And I can't stand their marketing strategy.
ASLQT SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil: (1) quart bottle

$4.85

AFFQT SAE 0W-40 Formula 4-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil: (1) quart bottle

$5.30

These Amsoil prices aren't that bad, you can spend much more on other brands from companies that haven't been around for nearly as long. A lot cheaper than the Polaris motor oil.

Old 05-21-2005, 02:01 AM
Trailblazer

What is wrong with WalMart oils? I have for many years used their 90 gearcase oil and TC3 2cycle oil which has the same specs as high price oils. I have used them for years in $12,000 outboard motors and not much else gets the punishment that a outboard gets. The oil in the front hubs oils the bearings as the wheels turn, it has nothing to do with the front drive in my Trail Boss. I use WalMart oils in my ATVs. As long as the specs are the same, the oil is the same, only the price is different.

Old 05-21-2005, 02:45 AM
Pro Rider

i can tell ya why oem cost more... it says POLARIS on it.... just like your atv

Old 05-21-2005, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 7haj3
What is wrong with WalMart oils? I have for many years used their 90 gearcase oil and TC3 2cycle oil which has the same specs as high price oils. I have used them for years in $12,000 outboard motors and not much else gets the punishment that a outboard gets. The oil in the front hubs oils the bearings as the wheels turn, it has nothing to do with the front drive in my Trail Boss. I use WalMart oils in my ATVs. As long as the specs are the same, the oil is the same, only the price is different.
I use Walmart oils in some things, but remember those specs are industry minimum standards. There are better quality oils that surpass minimum standards. You just have to do some research and pay what you feel comfortable with.

Old 05-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer

Ok this is getting kinda off-topic, I just wanted to know WHAT they were made up of. Not what I can substitute them for. Say I just ran outta the "correct" hub fluid, what can you put in there in a pinch? Is it atf? Something special? I just figured it was some common automotive fluid just repackaged.

Quick Reply: What are these Polaris fluids really?