Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How do you change a belt on a sportsman 800efi?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 11:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you change a belt on a sportsman 800efi?

My belt is still good, but I am nervous that it will fail way out in the woods. This is my first CVT machine and I am not familiar with them. Everyone seems to think that they cause trouble and I almost went with a rincon to avoid a belt tranny. I love my SP, but I just need to know what I might be getting myself into. Is it a trail side operation, or something better left for the dealer? Should I carry a spare? I am a fairly competent mechanic, just new to the belt thing. Thanks for any info in advance!

Old 05-18-2005, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

Whats up man! if the belts gonna take a crap on u just take it to the dealer if its still under warranty.

Old 05-18-2005, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

the polaris PVT is very reliable. you shouldnt have any troubles any time soon if your bike is new. polaris recommends changing the belt at least once a year, depending on how much you ride. the belts are tough!

but of you are that worried about it, carry a spare and the necessary tools to change it. it is an easy trailside fix if you have the right tools.

i recommend getting a service manual and study up!

X

Old 05-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

I have about 4,000 miles on my 1994 300 2x4, on the original belt!! I have about 1,400 miles on my 2002 SP 500 HO, also on the original belt. I do lots of trail riding and have not had a belt problem yet. They seem to have more trouble on the big bore bikes or ones that are in the water alot. If you do have to change one it's real easy, just takes a little while the first time.

Old 05-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: stanhaile
My belt is still good, but I am nervous that it will fail way out in the woods. This is my first CVT machine and I am not familiar with them. Everyone seems to think that they cause trouble and I almost went with a rincon to avoid a belt tranny. I love my SP, but I just need to know what I might be getting myself into. Is it a trail side operation, or something better left for the dealer? Should I carry a spare? I am a fairly competent mechanic, just new to the belt thing. Thanks for any info in advance!

Stan, i carry a spare with me all the time. i know Polaris has the belt warranty BUT it is "limited" which to me means that it's going to be a hassle to get a free one. IF i was to fry a belt on the trails, which more than likely will NOT happen, at least i know i have a spare.......how do you install it? i have no idea! LOL!!

anyone?

Old 05-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

I recently changed the belt on my '01 Xplorer. It took about 45 minutes to do but it was my first time and I was following my service manual to make sure I did it right. The next time around it will probably take 15 minutes. It took longer to get the foot rest and clutch cover off and on then it did to actually change the belt. Like scramblerXrated said, get a service manual and get familiar with it so when you do have a problem, you know where to look. I too keep a spare with me "just in case". Keep it in low when in mud or plowing or stuck or whatever and you will have a hard time smoking the belt.

Old 05-18-2005, 06:04 PM
Trailblazer

I also have 3,000 miles on my 02 sp 700 without a problem with belts. I plow a lot of snow in the winter and lots of hard trail rideing in summer.
awsome machine.
I want a sp 800 efi so bad my teeth ache.
I st wife say's dream on. she thinks i is to old and thats to much power.

Old 05-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

Listen up I will tell you all how to change the belt. you will need a basic 1/4" hand tool set and a box end wrench (forgot what size but think it's a 10mm) and a large flat blade screwdriver.

Removing the Belt

1) Remove the seat and the left side panel from your atv.

2) Remove the four bolts which hold the floor board down to the support brackets, remove the screws that hold the floor board to the wheel well flares. remove the floor board from the atv.

3) Loosen the clutch cover vent tube clamp which is on the top of the clutch cover then remove the 9 clutch cover bolts/screws that hold the clutch cover to the engine. you may need to pull out on the rear fender a bit to remove the clutch cover.

4) You'll see the belt and the two pulleys, push in on the center of boths sides of the belt meaning push up on the bottom of the belt and push down on the top of the belt which pulls the pulleys towards each other. then rotate the belt clockwise off of the pulleys.

Installing the Belt

5) On the right you have the driven clutch, use the large flat blade screwdriver on the inside of the unit to push the clutches closer together.

6) Install the new belt with the Polaris facing you like your reading it. once on start your atv so that the clutches will seperate and tighten up to the belt. shut off the engine

7) Reinstall the clutch cover, vent tube clamp, floorboard, side panel and seat and your done. the whole process takes about 20-25 minutes.

Old 05-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i just printed those steps and put it with my spare belt.

thank-you VERY much SilverB!!!!!

that sounds very easy.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-18-2005, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: silverbullet2005
2) Remove the four bolts which hold the floor board down to the support brackets, remove the screws that hold the floor board to the wheel well flares. remove the floor board from the atv.

You can leave the screws that hold the floor board to the wheel well flares in and just take the four bolts out of the floorboard and swing it out of the way. It saves a few mins doing it this way.

Quick Reply: How do you change a belt on a sportsman 800efi?