Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Tire leaking around rim....need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 11:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire leaking around rim....need help

I have been reading info on this site for a long time and i know if anybody can helpme with this, its the people on here. I have a 02 Sportsman 700 and I am having problem with the tire leaking around the rim. I have taken it off 2 or 3 times now to clean the mud and dirt out of it, but it keeps leaking. I have heard good and bad things on here about the slime. Any suggetstions?? Thanks

Old 06-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

is it fast or slow? My front left lasts 1 day. then its flat. I just set a block under the a arm when I park it and before I ride, I air it back up. I have never sayed out more than one day so there is no problem.

Old 06-03-2005, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

It takes it about a day to leak out, but its just a pain to fill it up everytime i want to go for a ride. There are some times though that we are out for a weekend riding where it could be a problem. I have a little compressor i take along just in case i dont make it back. When i pulled the tire off the rim the last time it almost looked like the rim was starting to corrode inside. I think that is some of my problem. Has anybody else had this problem with their chrome rims leaking?? Thanks.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next time you take off the tire use sand paper to go around the rim to smoothen out the rim. I have even put a little silicone around the rim before seating the bead some times that works. Leaky tires are just a pain!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-04-2005, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

here is what i do. break bead and put rtv silicone on the rim where bead seats and air back up. will never leak again.

Old 06-04-2005, 02:22 AM
Pro Rider

if you want to try something else go to auto parts store and buy some tire seralant that comes in a plastic bottle. you have to remove the valve core and squeeze the tire sealant in. important to drive the tire around as soon as it gets aired up to ensure sealant gets thrown around entire inside of the tube/tire. i use this sealant in my riding mowers,dirtbikes,wheelbarrows and vehicles that drive on the street. i do not use slime because it is overpriced but im sure its a good product. monkey grip is one brand i buy that is reasonable.

Old 06-04-2005, 07:53 AM
Range Rover

My idea just expands on TRLYFZ450's. Get a fine wire wheel and a drill. Take the tire off the rim, go around the entire bead area with the wire wheel, try not to get it all the way out to the lip of the wheel. Take all the corrosion off. Now take a peice of medium grit sandpaper and lightly go round the bead on the tire, just to ruff it up. Get some tire lube, aka dish soap, and coat the bead on the tire and air it back up. I knew that all my hard work at Sears auto center would pay off one day!!!

Old 06-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all of your help. I'll have to try the silicone thing next time.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did you try any green slime?

Old 06-04-2005, 04:09 PM
Range Rover

Slime works OK, but best for leaks in the rubber. It's just another brand of tire sealant. It is messy though, when you take the tire off.
Almost sounds like you may have another slow leak in the tire rubber?? In Penn you probably hit some thorns and needles occasionally? I suppose you have isolated the air leak with water?

Quick Reply: Tire leaking around rim....need help