Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Airbox leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 03:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbox leak?

Hey guys, I went riding on a local creek today and found a really deep hole on accident. My front racks were about 6 inches out of the water and my back racks were only about an inch out of water. I was sitting there keeping my throttle on just a little to keep the engine going good and waiting on my buudy to hook up to me and get me out when the engine died. I new I was in trouble then!!! We finally got back on dry ground and the engine wouldn't even turn over. We pulled the spark plug and turned the engine over. Water just came gushing out. Luckily another guy had done this before and told us to let out the drain plug on the bowl of the carburetor. We finally got everything cleaned up and got the engine back running. I'm trying to figure out how the motor was taking on water and what else I need to do now as far as preventive maintenance on the engine. I'm of course going to change the oil, but what else can you guys tell me? The airbox did have some water down in the bottom of it and the seal was really wet for the airbox.

Old 06-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer
Default Airbox leak?

Did I say something wrong or has nobody else experienced anything like this? Come on guys, I need some help here!

Old 06-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Airbox leak?

Maybe your airbox lid gasket is bad. I had mine up to the racks yesterday with no problem. As long as you are not over your snorkle with water you should have been ok. I would cahnge the oil and take your carb apart and clean it because it could have some mud & grit in it.

Old 06-06-2005, 07:10 PM
Trailblazer
Default Airbox leak?

Would Polaris replace that under warranty or would you not want to let them know that you had it that deep in water for future issues.

Old 06-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Default Airbox leak?

ok dont start freakin out the way the water got into the motor was prolly thro the muffler just take the carb apart spray it with carb cleaner and put it back to geater change the plug..oil and then go riding as long as the bike is still running dont freek out and take it to the shop to have it worked on make sure every thing is dry in the air box of and it might be a good idea to change the diff. fluids in the front end and back end and maybe a new tank of gas.... when the motor died there was no pressuer comein up the tail pipe to keep the water out so trhats how the watter got in

Old 06-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Trailblazer
Default Airbox leak?

I would have thought that also, but the motor shut off when I still had the throttle on. I have a good running engine so it shouldn't have shut off unless the water was already in there diluting the air - gas mixture.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:51 AM
Range Rover
Default Airbox leak?

Water can enter your engine through the exhaust, air intake and recoil starter. My guess is you got it in there through all 3 places. Im not sure where the water will go after it gets in at the recoil. If you were in water that deep, Im guessing the water may have been splashing around enough to get into your air intake. That will fill your air box, then filter, then carb. Thats probly when it shut off then taking a bunch of water in through the exhaust which filled the cylindar. My advice now, make sure all the water is out of all of it in whatever way you see fit. I would pull the drain plug from the bottom of the oil resevior and from the bottom of the engine. After that your gonna have to talk to everybody else to see what to do next.

My only other advise, Dont ride in a creek that you cant see the bottom of.