Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SpeedGuy question about lake race porting

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SpeedGuy question about lake race porting

Good Morning sir,

As shown in my sig line I have just about run out of bolt on performance mods on my 2000 scrambler 400. I am now looking into porting the cylinder and getting one of your billet heads. What is the difference between your porting options. I do mostly trail riding with some mx track action thrown in for fun. I do still want some midrange power so I figure the full race porting wouldn't be for me. Thank you for your time.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

I bet that you would most benefit from Trail porting like you said. The race port really likes to go and doesn't really like to go at slower speeds much. I bet there would be a big smile on your face for sure.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

Duna exactlly, The trail port and the race port are close but for your application we would go with the trail port because it is designed for more on and off the gas riding, for sure you will need to go with the billet head once we do some porting our porting specs are designed to run with at least a 12:1 compression ratio. The only other thing I would suggest is going to the 440 kit since you already have the cyl. off. possibly go to the 42mm carb, or even v-force instead of the petals. How is the pipe and clutch kit working for you?

Old 06-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks Speedguy.
I love it, It really wakes this thing up. I have to remember to tell people when they first ride it that they better hold on. I was thinking of the 440 kit as well. other than the cylinder, head and 42mm carb would I need anything else to make the 440 run good? I'll probably tear it down once it starts getting cold here in ohio since I like to ride when it's nice.
Thanks for your time sir.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

You should have it covered, note you can still run the 38mm with the 440 kit as well.

Old 06-10-2005, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

How many cc's is the 440 Kit actually. If I bought a new truck and paid for a V8 and later found out it was a V6 I'd be pissed. I heard the 440 kit did'nt add much Hp over regular porting and wasn't a true 440 cc more like 410-420 i think this is misleading. Just thought you should know Scrama.

Old 06-10-2005, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

The 440 kit is still only 1 cyl. if this is what you are wondering on 99.9% of al of these 2 storkes the manufactures like to round up in cc sizes like a 125 is a 124 a 440 sled is 439 a zr 900 is 862 the quad on hand is actually only 378 and your 250 is only 244cc's. Thought you might like to know this.

The HSP 440 kit is not an actuall 440 cc but if we said it was a 418 big bore for example it wouldn't make much sense, and no one would be itnterested in the kit. There is a huge differeance in power form stock to ported adn from ported to ported w/ big bore.

Old 06-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't bore it any bigger than needed I've had both and you have a little more torque with the big bore but not enough to waste bores unless you are already that far out!

Old 06-10-2005, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

stock 378cc polaris calls it a scrambler 400. HSP's 418 is 40cc larger than the stock "400" so I don't think 440 is misleading at all. If you look a few posts back when I suggested I needed a new 42mm carb and Speedguy pointed out that my 38mm carb would work you'll see that they are not in the business of misleading. I am very happy with my HSP parts and you can't beat the support. Speedguy is on here everyday helping people out with their problems and he'll give you an honest answer not just "you have to buy $1000 worth of hsp gear to run right". As a matter of fact if you read through his posts you'd never know he was with HSP unless a question is asked about an HSP product. I don't mean to go on a rant here fastestdad but to suggest HSP is misleading or trying to take advantage of me gives me the impression you think I'm an idiot which I assure you I am not.

Old 06-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

Just be careful about going straight to a big bore. You can allways do that later. These 2 stokes need to be rebuilt and bored out every now and then, and once you bore as big as you can go, then you need to re-sleeve or get a new cylinder. I wouldnt think you would wanna do that if you still have bores left to use.

Quick Reply: SpeedGuy question about lake race porting