Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How does the Polaris 4wd system work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2000, 01:56 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I just bought a used 99 Scrambler 400, and was wondering how the 4wd system works. I notice that the front wheels engage after about a half a revolution of the rears tires slipping, but when do the front wheels disengage afterwards? In other words, does the system unlock, then wait for the rear wheels to slip again, or does it stay in 4wd until you coast to release pressure or something (great technical description, I know)? Also, are the front wheels locked together even when the system is not driving in 4wd?

P.S.- The Scrambler is my first ATV, and I'm very impressed with it's handling and power.

Thanks in advance,
Lorrin

Old 10-10-2000, 07:43 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like it's working like it should. They will unlock when the front and rear tires are turning at the same speed.

The front wheels are not connected to anything when not in 4x4.

Do a search for "hubs", or "AWD". This topic has been done to death.

Dave

Old 10-12-2000, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

In simple terms, the hubs work like a ratchet when in the 'on' position. Once they lock on the first time, they will grab almost instantly whenever the rear wheels spin as long as it is left on. I think it takes about 1/4 to 1/2 turn to make them lock the first time. When the front wheels have to turn faster than the rear, such as in turning a corner, they ratchet, or freewheel as long as they are going FASTER than the rear. Once the rear spins, they grab again. This ratcheting system allows the front differential to be 'solid' (meaning when one front wheel spins, the other spins the same speed regardless of traction conditions)giving more traction than any limited slip front end could. The main drawback is they ratchet, or freewheel down slippery hills when the rear wheels are skidding. Sometimes you may even have to gas it a litte while applying the hand brake, but is simple once you get onto it and is only needed on steep, slick downhills. You need to hit the override button for the 4wd to work in reverse.
Hope this helps some.
Farmr
PS My dealer/mechanic says you can run it in 4wd all the time, even when it isn't needed & not wear anything out. Just makes powersliding the rear end all but impossible.