Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

first tank of gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first tank of gas

My dealer only put about a gallon of gas mixed in with oil for my break in period. The manual says to use 2 gallons mixed with synthetic oil, at a 6.4 oil to 2 gallons gas ratio. Oh this is for a Sportsman 90 2005 new. And he said only use 91 octane, and the book says 83. I always thought that use the 83 until the unit starts to knock and then use the 91 until the knock goes away and then revert back to the 83. Anyway back to the main question. I have a gallon of the blue polaris 2 stroke oil that I would like to use up first. I read on it and it says nothing about being synthetic. I'm going to go ahead and run another 2 gallons of oil/gas through the engine before going to just straight gas. Will it be okay to use the blue non synthetic oil for this mixture. I'm not even sure what my dealer used. It looks blue in the gas tank though. I bet he didnt even use synthetic oil. Does synthetic oil from polaris even come blue. Well alot of questions for yah I know. I just like to break these machines out well. I plan on having it for about 4 years. Thanks

Old 06-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer

A new 2 stroke motor should get a tank-full of fuel mixed with a mineral based oil for break In purposes. then you can use the synthetic oil of choice , if thats what you choose.... In fact the same holds true for 4 stroke crank case oils as well.. IMO.

Hope that helps

Old 06-18-2005, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

Well I just went outside and poped the seat off and syphon some of the gas out and it's blue, so is the oil in the reservoir. I thought the blue oil was the cheap stuff. I bought some synthetic gold oil from polaris once, that of course was gold in color. And a friend of mine gave me a new gallon of the blue stuff. I've been using the blue stuff for my lawn mower and stuff. Anyway, could the blue stuff be synthetic thats in the machine. And since it's blue in the machine, should I make a mixture of the blue non synthetic oil that I have, or should I make a mixture of the gold oil and gas. Last question, How much oil does one of these 90cc machines use. The manual says to check to make for sure that the oil level has dropped. Would the oil really drop enough for you to notice. Thanks guys/galls