Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

98 Magnum Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2000, 02:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been monitering this forum for a while but have not needed to post anything until now. My magnum 500 has developed a squeek that seems to be coming from the right front tire. It is high pitched and sounds like the brake pads squeeling on a car. It does not happen when the brakes are applied, only when moving along normally. The brakes are seldom used so I don't think it is a problem with wear. Is there somethig I need to check before I take it to the dealer for the mega-buck treatment?

Old 10-11-2000, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

loafy

Is your 98 Magnum a 500 or 425? Doesn't matter, just asking. I would take the pads out and inspected them long before going to the dealer. Just remove the wheel, remove the caliber, and slide the pins out and the pads should come out. Further inspection should tell you if that is the problem. My 98 Magnum wore the original set out in about 100 miles. The second set has lasted about 500 miles. I think it is about do again. I have never heard of the brakes squealling when not being applied, but I have heard them rattling or rubbing against the rotor. Upon reassembly, use some automotive disc brake silencer on the back of the pads to eliminate the annoying rubbing. Post another reply if you get the brake apart and are still not sure of the problem. I am guessing that you will find a worn out pad.

Old 10-11-2000, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

MagnumMudMan,

Thanks for the reply. I have the 500 Magnum and it only has about 70 miles on it so far. I have heard of the rattle problem with the brakes on these machines but it does not seem to be the problem. I pulled the wheel today and caliper and could not find anything wrong. The pads seem to be fine as well as the caliper. Is there anything else that connects there that could be the suspect?

Loafy

Old 10-11-2000, 11:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

MagnumMudMan,

Thanks for the reply. I have the 500 Magnum and it only has about 70 miles on it so far. I have heard of the rattle problem with the brakes on these machines but it does not seem to be the problem. I pulled the wheel today and caliper and could not find anything wrong. The pads seem to be fine as well as the caliper. Is there anything else that connects there that could be the suspect?

Loafy

Old 10-11-2000, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

my Tblazer does that often, and i just take the garden hose to it, and that fixes the problem, which i think is just dirt stuck in there

Old 10-12-2000, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

loafy

I am not sure what is causing the problem, but to start the diagnois, I would put the entire machine up on jack stands and remove the front tire and the caliber. Rotate the wheel and see if the squeak is still present. Have you cleaned the caliber yet? Try cleaning with brake cleaner and putting it back together and see if the squeak is present when the caliber is back on the wheel. I doubt that the problem is with the hub. The only way to find the squeak is to isolate were the problem is. Good luck finding it.

P.S. Are you sure the squeak is coming from the brake/hub area. Sometimes the top of the strut assembly will squeak after being in the mud and cleaned. Mine will do this when I have been in deep mud.

Old 10-12-2000, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

Exactly take a garden house spray the crap out of it literally and spray it with wd-40. that seems to cure it big time. I thought I was cleaning my brakes good but you really got to douse it good with a hose.i hold mine right in there.