Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

400 Sport Brakes????

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 07:39 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 Sport Brakes????

I have a 96 400 sport & would like to know if there is a better rear brake setup for it? I trailride & there are times I'd like to just use rear brakes but I can stand on that pedal & not get much brakes.The dealer says they weren't meant to be used that way,well,I'm an old MXer & it's in my nature.I saw a setup to seperate them & use the right hand for rear brakes but I really want the foot pedal.Any suggestions??

Old 06-28-2005, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

Not that I know of, I take it you saw our split brake kit. NOte that the right lever controls the rear and the left does the front.

Old 06-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah I saw that but grabbin handles for rear brakes goes against my nature.I wish the front brakes were on the right & the rear at the foot.I am totally fightin my nature the way it is & with that kit I think I'll be fightin it even more.

Old 06-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

I know what you mean.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer

I'm with you daddas, I like a rear foot brake and wish mine would actually work. I have messed with it trying to get it to work a few times, but all I can really get out of it is a slight slow down, and I mean slight. If someone came up with a product to fix this, they could sell more than a few I'm sure. I'm almost wondering if a cylinder off of another machine (including other manufacturers) might work better and make the rear caliper actually GRAB! After all, a braket to mount it is easy to make. On My 2000 Xplorer, the rear caliper has two seperate systems, one from the front hand brake and one from the foot brake. I see no reason why you can't experiment with the foot brake and still be able to keep the hand brake fully functional.

Does anyone see a problem with this, or is there something I'm overlooking?

Old 06-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Trailblazer

I have been sittin here @ work thinkin about it & I believe I can come up with something relatively easy,when I get home I'll take a look at it,maybe I can come up w/something that won't even need to be welded on.A simple bolt on mount for a cyl. to eliminate the mechanical brake.I'm thinkin if I put a 1 way valve in the line I can keep it so the front lever works all & the foot works just the rear.

Old 06-28-2005, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do a search for thewayout420 and then brakes, he has the handle doing front brakes and foot brake doing the rear brakes.

I have also heard you can switch the braided lines on the rear brake and get more foot action, from what I am told the port on the caliper for the brake kine from the handle is proportioned to clamp with more pressure then the foot brake.

Old 06-29-2005, 06:47 AM
Trailblazer

My sport is the older version,the foot pedal is mechanical.I'm thinkin about tradin it in for a newer version.

Old 06-29-2005, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the whole sport or just the brake? the nwer petals and calipers can be bought on ebay all the time for cheap you could posible do a swap of those parts.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think a one way valve would work. when you let off the brake the fluid couldn't return to the cylinder so you'd just have a really good parking brake. Even with the newer versions like on my scrambler the foot brake doesn't work real well. Plus it's so close to the case it's hard to get your foot on. I'm with you though. After many years of riding bikes and heavy use of the foot brake it does take some getting used to.

Quick Reply: 400 Sport Brakes????