Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

higher altitude and jetting confusion!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 02:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default higher altitude and jetting confusion!!

MHull, Hondabuster did such a good job of explaining things that I don't have to say much.
There is one thing I would like to add. If I have a choice between less fuel or more air, I always choose more air. The reason? Your going to be down on power because of the lack of O2. You want to give it the most O2 you can give it. If you take fuel away to get the mixture correct you are just getting the mixture correct and are not giving it any more power.
Like Hondabuster said, I would not worry about the jetting thing too much. If you were racing, yes, you need to rejet.

Old 07-02-2005, 03:02 AM
Quad Patrol

Kudos to you guys on helping MHull out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I even learned something[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: hondabuster
Im not sure which model you have, but it probably has a cv carb. One of the benifits of having a cv carb, is the ability of the carb to self adjust in the midrange. The throttle cable is connected to a butterfly, and not the slide. As the motor demands more,(by using vacumn), the carb slide rises and gives it more. So i wouldnt be too concerned about the mid range. See this page for a better discription of cv carbs carb101

You could bring a small screw driver, and adjust the mixture screw (which only controlls the mixture of the idle circuit), and isnt compensated by the cv circuits. As it runs rougher, and richer, give the screw some small moves in, which will lean the idle circuit.

If youre only going for one trip, it isnt worth the hassle of changing the main jet, id just remove the lid. If you have a clean air filter in good shape, nothing bad should happen by removeing the lid. Id be more concerned about changing the clip on the needle, ..and maybe droping a small part, or getting dirt into the carb.

Yep, the main jet and the pilot jet have stampings, which refer to the size, and some are on the side and some are on the face of the jet. See this page and it gives examples.

carb parts

Yep, raising the clip on the needle, lowers the needle into the jet, and makes it leaner.
This would be great info if it applied to him. The 95 Xplorer 400 is a 2-cycle engine and has the VM mikuni with a standard slide setup. I had to re-read my post to make sure I didnt word it wrong. I said lower the needle one clip. Maybe I should have said raise the clip one notch, but none the less this is what I would do especially if the motor seems a little rich at the present time.

Old 07-03-2005, 02:29 AM
Trailblazer

yeah, after thinking about a couple of minor problems I'm having, I think that my quad is running a little rich already. i'm going to adjust it for my current elevation, and then probably let more air in like DocTurbo said. Man, this has been a really informitave thread hasn't it?

One more (haha) question, when you say remove the airbox lid, do you mean just the top aluminum lid or the inner black thing or both? Or the snorkel on top? I see how it would allow more air, but at if you remove the lid then why bother with the filter at all? There's nothing directing the air through the filter, right?

Old 07-03-2005, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

yes,you'll to rejet the whole carbs a little,increase main by at least
2-3 size and pilot jet as well,the air screw should help to maontain
¸a proper idle,if you plan to repeat this time around next,go buy a dial-a-jet to put on your carb,your problems shoulf solved right way
by a turn of screw...

Old 07-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

yes,you'll to rejet the whole carbs a little,increase main by at least
scramblered, now why would you tell someone the 100% wrong thing to do? When he goes up in elevation he will be even more rich than down low. Your telling him to go more rich. Why?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I guess i didnt have my glasses on, i missed the 95 explorer...
If it were mine, i wouldnt rejet for one trip. It will still run. Just remember when it starts running crappy, its because its too rich. So bring a couple of back up spark plugs, incase one fouls out, and prop open or take the air box lid off, and that should lean things out.
Oh ya, you can forget about the cv carb info. Im not aware of any 2 stroke which uses one, they are just simple slide carbs. So your midrange wont be self adjusting.
But you can still bring the screw driver, and use it to lean the idle citcuit, at altitude. This will make it easier for you to restart it.
Make sure you dont remove the air filter, its the only thing keeping sand and grit out of the motor, just remove the lid, but wait til you get up in altitude and start having rich running roblems. If you remove it at a lower altitude, youll be much too lean.