Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Damaged 700EFI - Likely frame

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged 700EFI - Likely frame

Hi,

I have a 2005 SP700EFI with about 3 hours that was recently damaged. I ride my Predator and my 15 year old rides the SP. A friend with a KTM 300 usually rides with us so he and I are much faster than the SP on the trails. We typically ride ahead and then wait for the SP to catch up.

My son was apparently trying to keep up a little too much and clipped a log in the trail went off to the right and popped a tree with the right front tire. The service department started tearing it down yesterday and thinks the frame is bent. For liability reasons, they wont repair the frame and I agree it probably isn't a good idea.

They are going to work on a couple options for me.

1. Replace the frame and all damaged components which is obviously labor intensive. Add that to the parts and the bill could be pretty staggering.

2. Get some wholesale bids form places that would repair it and sell it as a rebuilt machine. I would then trade on a new 700EFI.

Either way, the cost is going to be very high. I don't have exact numbers yet. But, has anyone had a similar situation? What was the outcome?

Funny thing is, I was considering insurance and like a dumb a$$, I chose to wait. Needless to say, I put insurance on both of my other machines today. We are going out for the day tomorrow.

I would appreciate any feedback with the limited information that I can provide now.

Old 07-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

Don't say anything else to anybody about this. Have the bike put back together. Wait a month or so, then take it out and ram another tree and then turn it in on your insurance. Now this is highly illegal and some would say unethical, but since when were insurance companies ethical. Also, when you take it to get repaired don't take it to the same dealer you already took it to. If your in tight w/ your dealer he may work w/ you on this. Otherwise it's bend over, grab the rail, and take it like a man. But since it's a company vehicle you could write everything off which would come in handy next April 15th.

Old 07-02-2005, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

bubby I think I saw a frame on ebay yesterday for a 700 and a 800.....if your insured your ok if not id check ebay out....by the way I have 2 800 EFI
I insure both of them full coverage $219.00 a year for both..

Old 07-03-2005, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer

This past Jan 1 I was out riding and smacked a rock at about 30 mph. Trashed the quad. I had to get the frame replaced, right front drive shaft, shock, radiator, a-arm and other stuff replaced. Luckily I have full coverage insurance through Progressive. They took care of everything including the $3100 bill ($250 deductible). Runs great now. Thank heavens for insurance.

Insurance costs me $39 a month for full coverage and that is for a 2004 330 Trail Boss, 2004 SP500 and a 2005 SP500.

As for the guy that is suggesting insurance fraud...he is an idiot. Sorry, but there is no other way to put it. Suggesting that you commit insurance fraud for a couple of thousand dollars!!! Geez! Let's see...$2k or possible prison time....hmmmm?

Good luck with the frame and let us know how it goes.

Old 07-03-2005, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replys!

No, insurance fraud will not be happening. Even if I could get away with it, I couldn't do it.

Bigwannabe, that is about what they are estimating for the damage. I hope they will work with me if I can get a decent wholesale bid. I have purchased 2 2005s from this dealer in the past 40 days or so. I hope they will give me a bare bones deal if we decide it is better to dump the old machine. Glad to hear they did a good job on your repairs. That is a big worry.

I will post updates for the benefit of others that may face this type of issue.

I paid cash for the machines that I have and wasn't required to have insurance. I do now on my others and will never be without it again.

Old 07-03-2005, 01:47 PM
Trailblazer

It,s a quad, not an Indy car! Find some little welding or metal fabrication shop to bend it back into shape. With a torch, hammer, welder, porta power, and a little common sense "almost" anything can be fixed. My old boss would have been buying a frame every month if he replaced it every time he hit a tree!

Old 07-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

Let us know what the wholesale bid is. Maybe there is someone on here like me that would like to buy a wrecked 700efi to reduild or convert a scrambler to 700. Good luck either way and hope your 15 year old wasnt hurt.

Steve Lubecki

Old 07-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer

Contact www.ridgerunner.biz
They dismantle Sportsmans to build buggies, and have a number of frames and body parts available.

Old 07-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: diirk
Contact www.ridgerunner.biz
They dismantle Sportsmans to build buggies, and have a number of frames and body parts available.
The auction that perky posted about earlier was from Ridge Runner. I plan to call them on Tuesday.

I see that you have one. They are very cool looking. How does it run, handle, etc? I assume they are using the Polaris 700 and 800 motors as well.

Old 07-03-2005, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

Will do Steve. A 700 Scambler would be a monster!! Thanks.

Quick Reply: Damaged 700EFI - Likely frame