Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

NEW PRED TROY LEE SUSP SET UP

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW PRED TROY LEE SUSP SET UP

First post!

I just got my new Predator 500 Troy Lee and was curious about suspension set up. Previously I have always ridden and raced motocross and road race bikes. Key to a proper set up on a bike was suspension sag....is this factor true to a quad, if so what is the standard amount of sag that you would set up a quad at?

Second question is suspension settings. For bikes when magazines test them they usually provide recommended suspensions settings which is a good baseline place to start from and then fine tune from there. Has there been anything published on the 500 or can anyone recommend a good place to start on the shock settings?

Thanks,

Walt

Old 07-06-2005, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

well what kind of terrain r u going to be riding

Old 07-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mainly trail this time of year and then dunes when come fall and winter. I noticed on your Predator you have aftermarket bars. Where do you relocate the ignition switch, choke, etc. when you scrap the stock set up?

Thanks,

Walt

Old 07-06-2005, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

Uh, for trail and dunes, you dont really need to change anything. if anything, you would want to make it a little stiffer. I personally have not changed the stock setting yet, but am planning on it. Dirtwheels said they did four clicks to the right (i think cant remember right or left), well whatever way to make it stiffer.

And as goes for the bars, the choke will go to the top, and the key and all the lights are at the bottom, if you are interested in buying that, heres the link to the clamp, and heres the link to the bars.

Oh, congrats on the quad and welcome to the forums!

Old 07-06-2005, 08:32 PM
Trailblazer

How munch do you weigh?

Old 07-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

@ 157

- Walt

Old 07-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

how tall are you? i am 5'10" and i am 180 lbs

Old 07-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Trailblazer

Why I ask is that some one with your weight may have a hard time with the spring that came on it. The spring are fine for me at 230. All I did is adj. the rezz a litttle softer. The frist thing for you is sign on www.predatorowers.com web page and ask the same question. They was someone is on there that is 180 and was trying to adjust them. The guys are buying triple spring setup. Look for the shock spring on this web page. http://www.hpd-inc.com/Predator2.html

The manual say to only loosen the spring to 11???". After this 11??? is is unsafe to ride. I will edit the 11??? when I fine it. What i have found out there is no chart to look for setup. There is a web page out there have to setup. I think the stock spring, will not help you get the ride you are looking for. Right now mine is a awesome ride when the shock are adjusted. When they was not adj, I was saying why did I buy this thing.

I hope this will give a idea what you are up against.

Old 07-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

I dont race it, so i dont feel that i need triple rate shocks. But i am going to make it a little stiffer, because it bottoms out sometimes if you hit a real steap angle at the bottom of the dunes.

Old 07-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Trailblazer

The problem is no one can tell us what the stock spring rate is. Mine ride like a dream and i don't need the spring. The only thing I need to do is new steering stem and damper. This is do to I am ride in the hard stuff.

Quick Reply: NEW PRED TROY LEE SUSP SET UP