Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Ride quality of Scrambler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 01:30 AM
RJF
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride quality of Scrambler?

I read an ATV review on the '05 Scrammy and they said it actually rode terrific for a smaller sporty quad. How well would a 2004 Scrammy ride vs. a 2002 Sportsman 700? I ride the '02 700 right now and find it to ride a little stiff. My Scrammy should be delivered tommorrow.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I hear the 04-05's ride better. True? I would imagine the Scrammy is the best riding sport quad out there since it's heavy. Right? At first I was dissapointed at how heavy the Scrammy is but now am glad because I bet it helps deliver a soft ride, I'm hoping it rides nearly as well as my dad's '05 Grizzly. I'm a farmer and spend 1-2 hrs a day on my ATV and a rough riding machine gets tiring day after day.....

Old 07-07-2005, 03:31 AM
Pro Rider

The scrammy is not a smaller sport quad, its one of the largest, and heaviest, but they do ride well for a SRA.
It wont touch the sp700 in plush ride quality, the only thing more plush is the 05 sportsmans.

back off your preload on the rears if you have it notched up and lighter springs are available for the fronts.

Jim

Old 07-07-2005, 04:51 AM
Pro Rider

The scrambler is smoother compared to the sometimes harsh rides of the race bikes and some sport bikes. If you Think the sportsman is harsh you may not like the scrambler. It is a totally different ride. On monday I got to ride a 2004 sportsman 500 for about 12 hours in alaska and the ride was like a caddy compared to my 2000 scrambler. However I must say that I would have liked to have had my scrambler for the extra power and speed. I could only get the sportsman up to about 50mph. I can say for sure though that I never would have been able to ride my scrambler for 12 hours and If I did I'd be sore for a week.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:39 PM
RJF
Range Rover

Hmm. Not good then. I don't know what it is with our 2002 700 Sportsman but I think it rides like doodoo vs. my dad's Grizzly, and even our 1999 Xplorer 400. The Sportsman feels so stiff for some reason.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:42 PM
RJF
Range Rover

So what makes the new Grizzly's ride so well? THe Grizzly is only about 29lbs heavier than the Scrambler. I know it's an IRS bike but the suspension just feels so soft, much softer than our Sportsman.

Is the suspension easily adjustable on the Sportsmans?

Old 07-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

you must have beat up shocks or something, because sportsmans have the best ride you can buy from the factory.

you can only adjust the preload of the rear springs.

Old 07-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

I would say you will be more than happy with how the scrambler rides. They redid the seat in 04' and added longer suspension travel too. The rear shock on the scrambler is easily adjustible. I have rode other sport quads and was amazed at how bumpy and out of control they seemed compared to my scrambler.

Old 07-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jimk72
I would say you will be more than happy with how the scrambler rides. They redid the seat in 04' and added longer suspension travel too. The rear shock on the scrambler is easily adjustible. I have rode other sport quads and was amazed at how bumpy and out of control they seemed compared to my scrambler.
yeah i'll second that, i can really tell when we ride ditches and i switch rides with my buddies, their lighter wieght sport quads dont soak up any of the big hits. the weight keeps it on the ground and if u get a big enough jump it'll come off the ground to[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2005, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

Scramblers feel like a Cadillac compared to the other ATVs I've been on but after reading reviews of the 05 Sportsman, I have to believe it's more comfortable. The biggest difference to me though was the shape of the seats. The Scrambler is narrower as it is intended as a sport bike. The Sportsman is a lot wider and I wouldn't think you would be able to ride as crazy with it. The Sportsman is also 144 pounds heavier than a Scrambler.

Old 07-08-2005, 10:03 AM
Range Rover

I have a 05 scrambler and love the ride. I just got done doing a 90 mile ride in prescott AZ and the ride was great however, I do suggest for the long rides you get a kidney belt or a back brace to help keep you tight. I only use it on the long 30+ rides as I don't want to be all beat up the next day. I also had a 05 sportsman 500 ho and the ride is way different. Like someone said, the seat on the sportsman is WIDE but the scrambler seat is narrow and way comfortable but still my @ss wasn't sore at all after the ride. If I wa thinking about buying another quad, there would be no dought in my mind it would be another SCRAMBLER.

Rick

Quick Reply: Ride quality of Scrambler?