Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

My first night!(long story)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2000, 12:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I picked up my 01'Sportsman 500HO on Friday. I got home about an hour before sunset and was dying to take it for a quick rip across the road. The wife had bought some steaks and I promised I would cook them when I got back and we would have a nice romantic night together. Yeah right! I hit the trail, clothed in some new jeans and a nice shirt, with new hiking boots, I wasn't expecting to ride hard or long really! While on the trails, I started to play with the throttle, wear in the brakes, and just plain start to break it in. I decided to go down an ATT phone line trail, I've bird hunted this trail and found it to be alittle wet. Well I went down it and by now it was getting dark, I had know problem in 4wd and I probably could have run it in 2wd, it was that mossy covered crap. All of a sudden the front end dropped into a black hole of moss. I immediatley stopped and through it into reverse and tried to climb out. It wasn't happening, I tried and tried without hammering the brand new quad but I was just making a chochlate slurry. I got off and evaluated the situation and tried to move the 700lb beast by hand, that wass a joke. I was now in front of the machine up to my waist in mud and water. I'm 6'2". It was weird the quad wasn't burried, it was just laying on top of the moss and the wheels had know grip because down below it was just endless water and mud. It was pitch black out and I now had to shut it down and walk 2 miles back to the house. I beagan to realize what it was like to be in the movie "blair witch project". I finally got home and the wife just looked at me and shut the door. I called my neighbor who I've met a half dozen times as he was just sitting down for dinner. He rose to the occasion and came down and picked me up. We had to walk back in with a come-a-long, 2 shovels, wood boards, rope, flashlights, etc.. He couldn't believe how far back I was. We finally got there and we hooked up the rope and come-a-long to a bunch of 1 inch trees. There wasn't anything else to use as an anchor. I started the HO up without a burp and we slowly pulled her out after pulling, cranking, and using the 4wd. We must have reconnected the ropes a half dozen times. Finally we got her out weighing a 100lbs heavier with the muck and moss attached. We left the tools there and I rode out with my neighbor, I dropped him off at his truck and thanked him a thousand times. When I got home I had my wife take some pics of me and the machine(soon to come) and she was pissed, some romantic dinner! I now started to clean up my brand new mud machine, it took about 1 1/2 hours to get the thing so it looked halfway decent. The next day there were pounds of mud&moss on the driveway. I spent another 2 hours cleaning and it looks brand new! I assessed for damage( ripped cv boots/cables/electrical/etc.) and found everything in good order. I didn't bash the engine trying to get it out so I think that should be fine also. The fluids all looked good, I rinsed the radiator good and to my surprise it wasn't really mucked up at all. All in all I learned alot from this experience, I'm glad I didn't bust anything or my wife would have killed me! Sorry for the long story but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Old 10-14-2000, 12:28 PM
Trailblazer

WELCOME to the fun!!!!!Bet you will be doing some winch shopping....That is after the wife settles down!!!!!Oh,and get a Maglight to carry as standard equipment on your new bike.

Old 10-14-2000, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

I second that "winch" suggestion. It is a must-have for anyone riding alone. Has anyone ever tried those portable "augers"? When there is no tree in sight, you just screw it into the ground and voila!!...your out.

Good luck and have a blast on the new HO!!

Old 10-15-2000, 12:37 AM
BK
Pro Rider

I used to carry one with me on my old 2 wheel drive, along with a come along. It saved my butt more than once.

Old 10-15-2000, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Craig,
Is this your first 4x4 ATV?My guess is yes.If so,my advice to you is not to venture out alone in this type of terrain until you become more experienced.An experienced ATVer would most likely not have allowed this to happen while alone,or at least having a winch with him.I had a similier experience way back in 1987 with my Quad Runner 4x4 ATV.I dont take chances anymore without knowing there is help with me.Its a real helpless feeling to be in your circumstance,but everyone needs to have it happen to them at least once in their ATV adventures,good luck with the new toy and be safe.
Bill

Old 10-15-2000, 11:38 AM
Trailblazer

Actually I have a winch but I haven't had a chance to install it yet. It happens to be my first 4x4 utility also and your right on that I shouldn't have put myself in that position. I usually carry the necessary saftey equipment with me, but this was supposed to be a quick ride. Like you said, it happens to just about everyone.