Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

by far the worst day of ATVing for me

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 08:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default by far the worst day of ATVing for me

Spyder, welcome to the 'I can't believe I spent this mutch on this crap' club. Just wait till you hit 500 miles. This sucks. I feel for you man. My rear boot is leaking grease and my winch died this weekend. It's hard when you spend alot of time selling Pol to friends and defending Pol here only to come to the realization that they could care less about the quality of a monster priced 800 pos.

Old 07-21-2005, 09:26 AM
Trailblazer

I haven't been very easy on this machine - I have mudded it, jumped it, and hammered on it since March - so I am asking - " Should I change my belt for preventative maintenance" ?.... I can hit 65 MPH downhill with these aggressive tires... I weigh about 260...It's a pretty inpressive quad so far

In your case, yes, the belt should be replaced from time to time, sounds like you're pretty hard on it, the cost of a belt outweighs a tow home & possibly a belt cover.

BTW Mr Bionic...the winches are made by warn not polaris, & if u screwed a winch, this usually means the atv is being used FAR BEYOND it's intended use (Extremely deep water & mud) Or u don't know how to winch, but with 20 years experience, I'm sure it's not your fault at all.

ALSO Spyder6....if u jump a polaris belt drive, u decrease the life of the belt, u know now.

Old 07-21-2005, 09:45 AM
2c3
Pro Rider

first of all spyder im sorry to hear about your parents getting divorced. thats tough to handle at any age, but sometimes its better that way if all they ever do is fuss and argue. its bad either way you look at it but stay strong and youll make it. as far as the belt goes you should be able to jump your 800 without the belt breaking. you should be able to run 73mph without your belt breaking. it sounds like you have rode atvs long enough to know what you can and cant do to a belt driven machine. do let the brand loyal people in this forum make you think its your fault. good luck with your parents and your 800 whatever happens

Old 07-21-2005, 10:25 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: 2c3
first of all spyder im sorry to hear about your parents getting divorced. thats tough to handle at any age, but sometimes its better that way if all they ever do is fuss and argue. its bad either way you look at it but stay strong and youll make it. as far as the belt goes you should be able to jump your 800 without the belt breaking. you should be able to run 73mph without your belt breaking. it sounds like you have rode atvs long enough to know what you can and cant do to a belt driven machine. do let the brand loyal people in this forum make you think its your fault. good luck with your parents and your 800 whatever happens
do let the brand loyal people in this forum make you think its your fault. good luck with your parents and your 800 whatever happens[/quote]

do let them think it's your fault???? Get a clue, predators were ment to jump, not an 800 lb plus atv (not including the rider). It's amazing peeps as yourself comenting on something u know nothing about, u don't even own one, go back to Suzi land. If u had not noticed this is the Polaris section.

Old 07-21-2005, 12:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

hey, this is my thread! no argueing!

anyway, thanks guys, i mean, it could have been a faulty belt, but the way i run it, i hadnt expected the belt to fail upwards of 1000 miles. i mean, its no problem replaceing it, but just the way it failed has me a little shaken on the reliablity of the quad

oh, also, the 800 hasnt been jumped anymore than 8 times, its fun, but the last time i did it my shocks bottomed out and i thought a blew a shock so i've laid off for a while

Old 07-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Spyder, I wish you (and your parents) the very best of luck. Remember, there IS light at the end of the tunnel and things will get better for everyone regardless of what happens! Just try to be there for both of your parents, I know they what to be there for you.

Don't sweat it over the belt. It was probably most frustrating that you were miles away from home. But, it is a simple and cheap repair. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for belt failure. I am guessing, LOL, that you ride more aggressively than you think. Not that I am too old (ok maybe), but I don't do the things that I did 20 years ago.

Old 07-21-2005, 01:41 PM
2c3
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ATVnRocks
do let the brand loyal people in this forum make you think its your fault. good luck with your parents and your 800 whatever happens
do let them think it's your fault???? Get a clue, predators were ment to jump, not an 800 lb plus atv (not including the rider). It's amazing peeps as yourself comenting on something u know nothing about, u don't even own one, go back to Suzi land. If u had not noticed this is the Polaris section.[/quote]

i did own one. thats why i now own a suzuki.

Old 07-21-2005, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry to here about your parents. hang in there. Polaris has always had a poor belt drive. I have not seen any problems with mine but I do not ride it much either. I hate to here about the 800's doing this I though they had improved there drives since I had that 2000 SP500. The bad thing about Polaris belts drives I think is wores than just a shorter life span than other brands, its the fact the blowout all the sudden and leave you stranded. I had to tow my buddy's SP500 over 30 miles of mountain passes in colorado last year when his belt snapted. In doing so I overheated my belt drive on my Kawi pulling that heavy of a load that far up those steep grades. I never lost the belt I just glazzed it and had to ride in low the next 2 days to keep the squalling (slipping to a minimum) It never broke and never left me standed, and From what I have herd and experinced Polaris's are bad about when they go out they go quick. The new Outlander will be in my garage soon, I will be selling the Polaris. I have not had any problems with mine but, I like having the latest and greatest, just a quirk I have. Good luck

Oh, I almost forgot don't forget I think your belt should be free. Last I knew they polaris still offers lifetime belt warranties on all there automatics.

Old 07-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: ATVnRocks
do let the brand loyal people in this forum make you think its your fault. good luck with your parents and your 800 whatever happens
do let them think it's your fault???? Get a clue, predators were ment to jump, not an 800 lb plus atv (not including the rider). It's amazing peeps as yourself comenting on something u know nothing about, u don't even own one, go back to Suzi land. If u had not noticed this is the Polaris section.
i did own one. thats why i now own a suzuki.[/quote]

So your opinion about this is bunk. P.S. edit your post to read don't instead of do

Old 07-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

silly moderators edited my post!

anyway, i got my 800 fixed! works like it used to, belt needs to be broke in though! its a little slippery

Quick Reply: by far the worst day of ATVing for me