Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

by far the worst day of ATVing for me

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 10:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default by far the worst day of ATVing for me

so, my parents are getting divorced, and i needed a breather, so i decide to go for a little ride on my 4 wheeler. im gonna go around yager lane, which is a total of 3.5 miles. so, i go driving, and i hit a straight path, i wanna see what my 800 can do (feelin sorry for what i said so i wanted to get home too) so i floor it for about 5 seconds then BOOOOOM!!! i heard metal againts metal and burning rubber (First thought blown tire) so i slam on the breaks and go imidately into the dirt as to try to save my beautifull rim. i shut the motor off and hop off expecting it to explode and i see all the tires are still inflated. so im like, WTF!? and i look all around, and i get a BIIIG whiff of burning rubber. and im like(

>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>Edited by ATV Connection moderator<<<<<<<<<<& lt;<<<<<<<<<<

my belt blew. so, i grab my key and start walking back to my house... i took the shortcut, which fromt here is about a mile, so i ran, i ran all the way back to my house, told my dad (who was argueing with my mom) what happend and so we get the other 4wheeler (500 H.O.) and start going back to the 4 wheeler (go the long way for safties sake) half way there, the engine shuts off, no warning. and im like

>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>edited by ATV connection moderator<<<<<<<<<<& lt;<<<<<<<<<

so i check hte gas tank... empty... just my luck, my dad is flameing pissed by now, not only from the word but from the stupid gas tank, so i flip it on reserve and try to start it, no luck, i spend 10 minutes trying to start it, and i can see the lights on the odometer starting to fade from no power in the batery, so my dad starts walking (2 miles this time) back to the house to get his truck, hitch, and some tow straps, then i think. HEY WAIT A MINUTE! i hop off the 4 wheeler and grab the rip line for a pull start, PULL, PULL, PULL, PULL, put put put put put put. that had to be like, the best moment of the day. so i hop back on, turn around, grab my dad, go back to the house, fill the 500 back up and start otu on the jounry again. so we finnally get there, by now its almost dark out (time moves WAY to fast some times) we finnally get to the 4 wheeler (going the safe way again) we hook up my winch (thank the loving god i have a friggin winch) and we decide to take the short way home (a high way for a mile) and punch it, there was a hill i had to go up that was a good 150 feet long while pulling that 800 pould lug of worthless steel. i had it it low, and i had the throttle maxxed out and it was only going 32 (had to keep speed, federal highway with redneck loonys driving 80) half way up the hill the overheat light comes on and the fan is kickin as fast as it will go. (Thankfully i over filled the coolent resivoir) so i start slowing down and make it to the top of the hill and start gaining speed again now that were moving (downhill this time, i let the engine just coast) and the light went off. and we finnally get my blasted peice of crap 800 home.

tommarow im gonna have to go order a new belt for the damn thing. i know that Polaris' break belts all the time because its there constructed mechanical nature, but the way i baby my 800, and run it in low and take such good care of it. this really has me shaken on the reliablity of the transmition im running. that outlander 800 is sounding mighty convinceing. i just donno. im really shaken and tired for whats all happend in the last month and this tonight. what do you guys think? i know im starting to sound phsyco to all us polaris fans, but ive never been rough on the drivetrain.

Edited by ATV Connection Moderator

The next time keep the **** out of your posts.

Old 07-20-2005, 10:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

btw, i did hit 73 before the belt blew [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aren't you the kid that was bragging on jumping your new 800? Hmmmmmm? Well, nyways, hope you get your belt fixed, that was a "tough break"

Old 07-20-2005, 11:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i really cant understand how jumping it would have any reprocussions to the belt...

Old 07-20-2005, 11:41 PM
Trailblazer

Could be wrong, but its the whole thing of spinning the tires in the air with no friction, then the sudden grab when the tires hit the dirt. I'm not sure if the actual hit itself does anything, but it sure doesn't help. Sorry to hear about your day though. I can relate to giving that outlander a lookover, seems pretty sweet. Much better than my xploerer thats acting up. Than again I don't have 9k siting around either, so I think I'll go work on my 400! Good luck with yours! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-21-2005, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

I think you just had a brush of bad luck, we've had a 700EFI and we have that and an 800EFI now and we can barely burn the belts, but we have ruined a few. I dont know how you managed to break your belt though

Old 07-21-2005, 12:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

if it matters any, the belt has 370 miles on it

Old 07-21-2005, 12:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just thinking the harder you ride it, the more things will break is all. You probably just have one of those freak things happening. I sure haven't heard of many belts breaking on any brand.

Old 07-21-2005, 03:23 AM
Pro Rider

I was just wonder why pretty much everyone who has an 800EFI has some kind of problem with them and it seems to me that they arent very reliable, my 2005 sp 400 has 800 miles on it and i have not had 1 problem and it has more power than it has ever had, and i drive it on the highway constantly at 50 mph
so i dont get why most people cant get 400 miles out of their 800 EFI that is just my 2 1/4 cents.

BTW, hope that you get that 800 going again spyder6[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Bob

Old 07-21-2005, 03:36 AM
Trailblazer

I have 375 miles on my 800 now and have had no problems yet.. I have 26' ITP Mudlites on Vision rims and they weigh about 20 more pds. than the stockers ( all 4 rotating mass) .... I haven't been very easy on this machine - I have mudded it, jumped it, and hammered on it since March - so I am asking - " Should I change my belt for preventative maintenance" ?.... I can hit 65 MPH downhill with these aggressive tires... I weigh about 260...It's a pretty inpressive quad so far - It runs with a 2002 Honda fourtrax and the kid knows how to ride .... Should I be seeing better top speed ?????...... My Sportsman 500 is no contest for it

Quick Reply: by far the worst day of ATVing for me