Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Runnin Regular

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 05:51 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runnin Regular

Just checking to see if i can run regular fuel in my Scrambler, 2002 ,400, 2 cycle. I usually run the good stuff but a friend filled up my gas can this time and he put in regular. I am riding at high elevations.

Old 07-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer
Default Runnin Regular

I realize im a newbie, but we have 5 4wheelers all 2 strokes, including the wifes 01 400 scrammy, and i've only used regular, and was never told otherwise. However i do put in some MMO(marvel mystery oil) in the gas. As i do with my other fullsize 4x4 projects. I also put Acetone in my Superduty 250 V10's tank to help it burn faster making better MPG's.

Kamots

P.S. Upon further thought, if you have any problems with the unit at elevation, could you use some octane boost in it? Again i am a newbie only trying to throw out ideas.

Old 07-22-2005, 08:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Runnin Regular

My 400 has a pipe and clutch kit and premium recommended. I use premium in all my quads. It's a safety factor. If 87 octane is recommended, you may lose a couple horsepower running premium but you won't detonate because of high altitude or some other factor. It's a slower burning fuel. 87 is more volatile and computerized cars can adjust some of the odd factors, most quads can't.
I'm not sure about acetone in my fuel. Isn't that hard on the fuel pump or other rubber parts in the injection system like "O" rings? That's new to me.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer
Default Runnin Regular

Well i only put the acetone in vehicles not my 4wheelers. Also if you do a google on say "acetone in gas" you will get several good reads on it. I've experienced no problems only a little better mpg's. Do some research and form your own opinion. To each his own. Have a great day.

Kamots

Old 07-22-2005, 10:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Runnin Regular

Originally posted by: Kamots
Well i only put the acetone in vehicles not my 4wheelers. Also if you do a google on say "acetone in gas" you will get several good reads on it. I've experienced no problems only a little better mpg's. Do some research and form your own opinion. To each his own. Have a great day.

Kamots
Now you have my curiosity. Don't mean to take over suds thread(although that's a good name). I worked for a boat company and purchased acetone in 55 gallon drums. Unless you do that how does a gallon of $8 acetone from the hardware store justify an increase in mileage. My V-10 in the motorhome gets 8mpg(if I'm lucky) whether or not I'm towing or going downhill with a tailwind. I would do anything to get more miles out of my motorhome. Thanks for the info.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer
Default Runnin Regular

I use 3oz per 10 gallons of gas. And im getting almost 2 miles per gallon more using it. Nothing else has changed on my truck its in perfect condition, so it would have to be attributed to the acetone. G'day.

Kamots

Sorry i have summtimers, so i have to edit posts alot lately...lol.

My truck is a shortbox with a 29 gallon tank and pulling any loads like my 11k 5thwheel i would really like to get the best or most milage possible and before using acetone i was getting 14.5 unloaded an 9 loaded. Now ofcourse its almsot 2 up from that increasing my range somewhat. My wife buys the acetone at a great rate, so after doing the math i am coming out ahead.