Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

dial-a-jet vs dynojet

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 09:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dial-a-jet vs dynojet

I am considering putting one of these on my 4.5 sp500 H.O.. Which would be the best from a performance standpoint? I would kinda like to have better throtle response down low than what the stock carb has. I know the cv carb has this problem anyway, but there are always ways to improve short of changing to a flatslide.

Old 12-30-2004, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

This is a good questions. It would seem to the benefits of the Dial-A-Jet are in the ease of modifying carb performance during elevation changes. How is it as a "performance" modification when coupled with say a K&N air filter kit?

Old 12-31-2004, 01:18 AM

Anybody else???

I've had the very same question bouncing around in my brain lately.

Old 12-31-2004, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

Two completely different things.....if you install a Dynojet 'kit'...it usually comes with K&N air filter and jet kit, which includes jets, adjustable needle and needle clips....

the dial-a-jet is made for altitude and changing temperature and barometric pressures that will affect jetting/performance on the machine.....if you are running changing elevation, more than say 2000-3000 foot changes, then the dial-a-jet is the way to go...I had one on my 500 because I would run from about 4500 - 13000 feet in elevation....it worked great....

dave

Old 12-31-2004, 09:23 AM
Range Rover

2004.5 500 HO
I am waiting for my parts to arrive in the mail, I orderd from TPI
2 TPI valves for the airbox
1 dial a jet
1 uni filter
1 UFO
1 Thunder shift clutch kit
and both olav aaen's clutch tuning and carb tuning books
And I'm still deciding what to do with the exhaust!!
I think I am going to try the dynojet with the dial a jet, The jetting with the dynojet should be close and with the dial a jet you need a lean condition to start with But with the combination of uni filter, TPI valves and exhaust mods that should lean the mixture enough to use the dial a jet without messing with the dynojet jetting.

Has anyone cut open the factory exhaust to see whats inside?
Does anyone have a factory 500 ho muffler they want to part with?

Old 12-31-2004, 10:39 AM
Trailblazer

Cool. Mine is the Yellow bike, also. But if it works on mine, my son will change his too. He can't have dad out do him...lol What do the TPI valves do? I was looking at the dial-a-jet because of the fuel rerouting that it does. I believe it sprays directly into the airflow and gives you instant throttle response. Is that correct? I don't do the drastic elevation changes, but I was thinking the throttle response would be a nice thing. I never thought about using both of them. Would they work together? How is the throttle response on the dynojet? I have the K&N and pipe already.

I looked at the new sp800 the other day. They started putting different wheels on them. This one was blk/silver and has 8-spoke wheels which look like the Kenda's but they are 12" instead of 14" and they look killer. They have bead-locks, stock. cool .

Eventually I will get the 800, but I want to build the baddest 500 I can. I just like the single and have a soft spot for the 500. But for now I'd just like to get the carb where I want it without changing to a flatslide.

Old 12-31-2004, 11:03 AM
Range Rover

I'm still waiting for my parts to arrive so all I can tell you is what I have read and not what I have experiances. Just so you can see what the parts look like go to Thunder Products.

The TPI valves require you to cut the air box lid to install them and you can regulate the air flow into the airbox by sliding them open or closed.

The UFO sounds really interesting and I can't wait to install it, apparently it makes a huge increase in throttle response and adds good power for like $30 dollars us.

The claims for the dial a jet are too long to list here but they are on the website, it is also suppose to increase throttle response, fuel mileage, prevent lean conditions etc.

I will provide a full review when I get them installed, however I am racking my brain to find somewhere to test run the quad to get accurate baselines. Flat, straight, and long stretches of road that arn't covered by snow are getting hard to find these days plus I have to decide what to do with the exhausts. I hope I don't have to wait till spring.

Brambles

Old 05-01-2005, 09:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Brambles did you get those installed and how do they work for you?

Old 07-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Brambles, it would be great to get an update report on how your dynojet/dial-a-jet combination is working.

Old 07-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Trailblazer

I have had both installed on my predator. All I can say is I believe they complement each other. The dynojet kit gave me better throttle responce and quicker reving. but like anything, change the conditions and or altitude and its richer or leaner with out taking the carb apart. so I put on the Dial a jet. I ride the dunes mostly and had it set up just right where the dial a jet was in the 3rd possition and it was running great. desided to hit the trails one day and went as high as 9500 ft. all i had to do was turn the dial a jet to the #1 negative position and it ran great. came back dowm to 4500 ft and just clicked it back. works great.