Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Mechanical Repair Question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 12:03 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanical Repair Question?

I have a '00 Sportsman 335 that has a sizable crack (2") in the rubber housing where the drive shaft transfers power to the left rear wheel. Much like a U-joint set-up. Sorry, I'm not a mechanic with all the correct terms, but hopefully that makes sense.

How difficult are those rubber housings to replace and has anyone else had the same problems?

Old 08-02-2005, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

It sounds like you might be describing the CV boot. If this is your problem, your dealer should be able to replace the boot for about $80 total (about $17 for the boot and about $60 for the labor). This price assumes that the CV joint (underneath the boot) is OK and does not need to be replaced too. If you are mechanically inclined, by a manual, and give it a shot. When you get really good at this you should be able to do it in less than an hour.

Old 08-02-2005, 12:57 AM
Range Rover

That sounds correct. I believe it is the boot covering the CV joint that I'm talking about. The CV joint is still good and not dirty from my last ride. I think I'll take it in to the dealer. It's a time issue and I need the atv this weekend and next. Thanks for your response.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

yea man it sounds like your boot is cracked. you should be able to get a new boot with the grease and clamps for about $20.00. Try doing it you self because its not verry hard. just do one thing at a time and in order. it should take you baout 1 hour to fix. Its what it took me and om only 16. If you decide to do it your self let me no if you have any questions about how.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Range Rover

I hope this will help. If not PM me and I'll be glad to help.

Inner cv boot replacement:
If you are not replacing the outer cv joint then the safest thing to do is put it on from the inner cv joint side. The inner cv joint is very simple to remove. First you'll want to remove the clamps from the boot (you'll want to buy the additional clamp kit for $2). Being careful not to puncture the boot you can pry up on the tabs that hold the band in place or just cut by putting a screwdriver under them and prying up to give you enough room to get the metal snips under them. Once the boot is free slide it back toward the outer cv joint to expose the inner components. You'll find a large retaining clip that goes around the inside of the joint just above the ball tracks. Remove the clip by getting behind it with a small screwdriver. Once this clip is removed the inner cage, race, *****, & shaft will come out all together (wrap your hand around this to prevent the ***** from falling out all over the place). You'll find a retaining clip on the back of the shaft, remove this with retaining clip pliers or a large screw driver to spread the clip open. Once this is removed you'll be able to remove the cage, race, & ***** all together at one time. No your ready to install it on your new half shaft. Make sure the boot goes on first. Then place the cage, race, & ***** on the shaft making sure that the tapered side of the cage and race are facing toward the outer cv joint. Install the clip to hold it onto the shaft. Then fill the inner cv joint housing with grease and place it over the cage, race, & *****. Install the large clip. Now pull the boot down and install the large clamp. Then take a screw driver and place it in between the small part of the boot and the shaft and push the inner cv joint in all the way until it bottoms out. Then pull it back halfway (or to the mid range of the inner cv joint) and remove the screw driver and install the small clamp. Your now ready to install the axle back in the vehicle.

Old 08-09-2005, 12:39 AM
Range Rover

Mr. cvman,
I ended up taking it into the shop to have the boot (rubber housing) replaced. It was the inner boot on the left side that needed fixing. the cv joint was fine. I paid 122.00 for the dealer to fix it. Ouch, but knowing myself the way I do, it was best. I was made to ride the thing, not fix it. Thanks for the help and insight.

Old 08-09-2005, 02:20 PM
Range Rover

Hi Mike,
That's cool[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] I think you may get another chance down the road. These are a very common item. I'm sure you'll be better off in the long run knowing how to fix it yourself. I'll be here if you need any help.
See ya,
Danny