Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Enclosed Trailers Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 04:55 PM
CED
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enclosed Trailers Worth it?

Hey CED that guy on the TRX450R in your 1st pict didnt think he was going to need a helmet and goggles as he wasnt expecting to EAT POLARIS sand and dirt roost!!!! HaHa

Yeah he was pretty excited about going try out his new piston,cam and pipe.I think he wished he would have picked up the helmet and goggles.

Old 08-02-2005, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just purchased a 7' X 21' enclosed and it was one of the best purchases i have ever made. Great for storing the bikes when not riding, and a safe place to lock all your stuff in while you are. You definatley wont regret the purchase thats for sure.

Old 08-02-2005, 08:41 PM
RJF
Range Rover

We have a 2004 27' enclosed Interstate snowmobile trailer. We keep our four main and newest sleds in the trailer year around (it's a four place). Obviously snowmobiling takes place in snow and when it's cold so it's nice to change into our gear inside with the propane heater on. The sleds are kept out of the weather and are protected year around along with providing a clean and dry place for your gear. Ours has cabinets, interior lighting, loading ramp lights, and white internal walls instead of plywood.

The best part is everything is there and ready to go, all we have to do is back up the Ram Cummins tow rig to the big white toy box and fly up the hill to the snow.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

We are considering getting an enclosed trailer for our ATV's also. We use our atv's around the ranch every day so the garage works well but it would be nice to also have a mobile "garage" for them. Plus, it would be sweet to be able to hook up to the enclosed ATV toy box or the enclosed snowmobile toy box.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Regardless, I'd go with Interstate. VERY well built trailers, much better than Featherlite, Titan, and I even think better than Haulmark. The downside to having a more sturdy HD Interstate trailer is that they are about 1Klbs heavier than the other brands. Just make sure you have a good tow rig to pull an Interstate of a larger size. Our 27 footer loaded with four sleds and all the gear weighs about 6,700lbs. We use two late model Dodge Cummins 4x4 pickups.

Old 08-02-2005, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

The only drawback is what rjf said. Pulling it. I pulled a 7x14 with 4 quads and gear and it strains the suburban up I75 hills in tennesee. Sure beats the open trailer though.

Steve Lubecki

Old 08-03-2005, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

Definetly worth it, for all the above reasons. It's a great place to keep all your stuff like helmets, goggles, tools, etc. Gives you a clean surface to do repairs on (when away from your garage) and a waterproof place for all your things.

In spite of what RJF said, most light trucks can pull them. Most half ton pickups could cope with the 6700 pounds his loaded trailer weighs (unless that's a typo, it doesn't seem like much).

Old 08-03-2005, 12:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Towing mine is not a problem with my Chev. The trailer weight is 2500pounds then the two quads or two sleds on top of that. Once rolling you dont even notice any difference then the little 8'X8" open i use to haul.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:59 AM
RJF
Range Rover

Originally posted by: tyler711
In spite of what RJF said, most light trucks can pull them. Most half ton pickups could cope with the 6700 pounds his loaded trailer weighs (unless that's a typo, it doesn't seem like much).
Oh I would agree. The only thing is, is that we have sleds in our 27' and they weigh a lot less than most ATV's. I know our three Polaris ATV's and one grizzly would outweigh our two Polaris Vertical Escapes and two Arctic Cat mountain cats by a fair margin. I guess if a guy has 4 sport quads then thats a different story. Plus, with ATV's a guy could get away with a shorter trailer than a 27', which is a good length for snowmobiles but more than enough for four quads.

My main thing about towing the trailer was in our area. Obviously, since ours is a snowmobile trailer we go up into the mountains and pull some fairly steep hills and come back down them, my dad's '98 1/2 Burb does ok but can't handle the upper Sonora Pass where the steep hills are.

A 1/2 ton would work fine with 6,700lbs depending on what the 1/2 ton is. Some of the very late model trucks are pretty powerfull for 1/2 tons. My main concern is braking and handling. Our 27' would throw my dad's burb all over the road at 60+mph, we had to add springs to the rear pack to stiffin it up. Even with a Prodigy brake controller and good working electrics on the trailer (both axles) it's still pretty hard on his 1/2 brakes coming down some of the hills we have. my dad's '02 Dodge Cummins dually 6spd is a much more solid tow rig and we feel safer at higher speeds in it. Plus, he's got an exhaust brake so no touching the brakes until we're back in the valley. I'm working on setting up my '01 Ram Cummins auto so I can run an exhaust brake too.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

It boils down to one thing.....depends on what'chya got. If ya got a 1/2 ton and it works ok then great.

Old 08-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider

Dont get me wrong. My suburban can pull that trailer at 90+ mph on flat level ground and it does ok through the mountains but you are on the gas not just cruising. I added air bags as a back up for the rear also to keep everything level. It does what it is supposed to do just fine at 8 mpg and will maintain 55 mph up the bigger hills but it is pretty well wound out. Little hill and flat level ground 90 mph no problem.

Steve Lubecki

Old 08-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

Jeff, I had a two place enclosed w/flip top. For my sleds and summer wheelers. It was a pain in the *** for wheelers. I just bought the Cargopro made by SnoPro. It ramps 2 atv's on from either side and you can drive off from either side. It's the cats *** when your unloading in a new, unknown spot. $1295 new . It only weighs 450lbs. It is of far better construction/design than the Triton SL8 IMO. If you unload in a tight spot you can drive the wheelers off, unhook the trailer and move it around by hand while you turn your truck around. I can walk it around my lawn w 1 hand. I haul my 800efi tank and another 500 or my Explorer w no prob. You dont even know it's back there it's so light. the tie down system is the best. If you dont need the enclosed, this is the one to get.
The next time I go enclosed, it will be one of those camper/atv carriers.I'm not sure about the prices or if they come with two babes on sport quads. I'll ride in Glamis/Pismo someday.

Old 08-03-2005, 11:52 AM
Range Rover

we bought a enclosed trailer because we have no garage at my house and the shed is pretty full - it is awesome. Someone said that you dont need to tie them down - I disagree - everything is secure when in route - no chances for screw up then. You would be surprised how many morons will pull out in front of you - doesnt matter that you are driving a full size truck with a full trailer - happens to me all the time - so tie downs are required. Great when we are on a week trip - strap in the biks/quads/atc's and then pack all your gear around it. I didnt get the rear ramp door because i was worried about a couple of things - if something happend would my son or wife be able to get into it - if you park on uneven ground i wouldnt want to drop the door and roll thing sout on it - so we got barn yard doors and i made up some ramps.

Quick Reply: Enclosed Trailers Worth it?