Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Lighter riders - remove sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighter riders - remove sway bar

I've been thinking about it for awhile, removing the sway bar. I asked the dealer if they had lighter rear springs because I have a real rough ride on my 400 (I'm only 140 lbs). They said that polaris was telling dealers to remove the sway bar (they called it a "torsion bar") if customers complain about a rough ride.

I will try it as soon as I get the machine back.

I also had them order HD front springs - I think my front ones are shot from my winch, brushguard, and riding habits. The machine is not even close to level; just sitting (with no rider on it) the front end has about 1.5 inches left in the suspension until it bottoms out. They said a set of HD springs would help, they are like $32 a side. They said they'd compress them and put straps on them so I could install them myself and just cut the straps.

Tyler

Old 08-04-2005, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Removing the sway bar helps for lighter riders, or you can get a detachable sway bar link that will allow you to hook it up whan you want it and un hook it whan you don't. The sportsmans do get a little washy feeling with the sway bar un-hooked or removed so be careful if traveling at any speed

Old 08-04-2005, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Vaquero
Removing the sway bar helps for lighter riders, or you can get a detachable sway bar link that will allow you to hook it up whan you want it and un hook it whan you don't. The sportsmans do get a little washy feeling with the sway bar un-hooked or removed so be careful if traveling at any speed
I thought about that. I went on a 50 mile ride the other day, got home with a hurting back and realized that I never went about 35 mph. I know to be careful, though.

I was thinking about doing it anyway, it's common sense, but I just wanted to share the fact that it is Polaris-suggested.

Old 08-04-2005, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

I ride my all the time with the sway bar disconnected ... but you are right becareful at higher speed.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

I think I'll leave it on in the winter - I usually have some sand on the back, which softens the ride. Plus I am always doing donuts on the ice, wouldnt want to tip.

I'd get a disco, but I don't think it's worth the hassle or the money. Off for the summer. Done.

Ever seen how fast a sportsman can spin on flat ice?? The sandbag I had on the back last year exploded from the force of spinning[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. Locked 4wd rocks.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i remember this one time when the river froze over and we went down there and we were doing 2 wheel drive drags and i won it but i threw the rear around so i was slideing backwards fast, put it in 4 and hammerd it and i started going forward, it was really cool. i have a video of it somewere i'll see if i can find it and get it hosted

Old 08-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

Ty,make sure you don't engage 4wheel drive while spinning aroun in circles. I've seen guys blow out the front drive doing it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bionic
Ty,make sure you don't engage 4wheel drive while spinning aroun in circles. I've seen guys blow out the front drive doing it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I always do it in AWD, I've heard (and seen) the front hubs engage if the rears spin way too fast, even in 2wd. Although that may have been a problem associated with the old-style hubs.

Old 08-05-2005, 03:46 PM
Range Rover

Last February it snowed all day and covered the roads in my neighborhood. So I got to thinking . . . I should go ride my Sportsman on the slippery snow covered roads, before the road crews clear them. I got all bundled up and while ridding away from the house I could feel the quad wanting to turn side ways, so I let off the gas and hit the AWD button and it felt like it was fighthing itself, so again I slowed and turned it back to 2wd. Boy, am I glad I did! Got the the first left hand turn and let off the gas just prior to turning in and the EBS kicked in and got the rear in a perfect angle to four wheel drift right through the turn, it was the coolest thing I have ever done on my quad. I played for about a half hour and went home to hide, then again it would not have been hard for any police to figure out who was riding the quad on the streets :-)

"hmm... this driveway has several 4 wheeler tracks and all the others do not... hmmm.

SLG
(I don't know nothing about a 4 wheeler riding on the streets in the snow)
2000 Polaris 500 Yellow

Old 08-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BikKat
Last February it snowed all day and covered the roads in my neighborhood. So I got to thinking . . . I should go ride my Sportsman on the slippery snow covered roads, before the road crews clear them. I got all bundled up and while ridding away from the house I could feel the quad wanting to turn side ways, so I let off the gas and hit the AWD button and it felt like it was fighthing itself, so again I slowed and turned it back to 2wd. Boy, am I glad I did! Got the the first left hand turn and let off the gas just prior to turning in and the EBS kicked in and got the rear in a perfect angle to four wheel drift right through the turn, it was the coolest thing I have ever done on my quad. I played for about a half hour and went home to hide, then again it would not have been hard for any police to figure out who was riding the quad on the streets :-)

"hmm... this driveway has several 4 wheeler tracks and all the others do not... hmmm.

SLG
(I don't know nothing about a 4 wheeler riding on the streets in the snow)
2000 Polaris 500 Yellow
Up here, my camp is on a 5 mile dirt road, not city owned. So you can do whatever you want. A lot of parents teach their kids to drive here - it's a real road, but not covered under laws. So I've been driving since I was 12 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].