Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Mod Recommendations for New Scrambler Convert

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 01:06 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mod Recommendations for New Scrambler Convert

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the forum. I've been reading your post for about 3 months now but this is my first. I've been riding a 99 Sportsman 335 but recently got tired of being last in the pack and purchased an 01 scrambler 500 4X4. It has a Hot Seat Speed Kit; I'm liking it, ALOT!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Most of the guys that I ride with have stock bikes, except for tires and wheels. The fastest bike in our group was an 04 Grizzly 660 until yesterday. I beat the grizzly in drag race on asphault.

If you guys could bear with a newbie, I have a few questions:

1. I am definately a utility bike convert. I ride with a bunch of guys who like to play in the mud. What do you think is the largest tire that I can put on the rear of my scrambler without losing the sporty feel. I actually do not mind losing a little power; the front end comes up really easy and I would not be too upset if the larger tires calmed it down a little (as long as it's only a little!) I'm looking @ mudlites. Just out of curiosity, what is the largest tire that someone has put on the rear of a scrambler without having to do any frame/fender mods?

2. Also I know that I cannot go mud bog the scrambler like the sportsman, but how does it really do in the mud, can someone compare it to the sportsman?

3. The person who owned it before me bought the Hot Seat Speed Kit. He installed everything but the new carb jet. How much of a difference would it make if I put the Hot Seat Jet in?

4. As far as power goes, I am satisfied for now. Can anyone recommend any utility mods for my bike that you have? Such as racks, bumper, winch, etc.

Any other information you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I have really enjoyed reading your post these past few months; I have really learned alot!

Old 08-04-2005, 03:58 AM
Pro Rider

There's a guy on the forums named speedwerx. His name is Jeremy and works for Hot Seat. He can tell you about the jetting I'm sure. You could PM him about it. Congratulations on your new bike and welcome to the forums.

Old 08-04-2005, 04:03 AM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't go any bigger than 25", you also need to keep the front to rear tire ratio the same or your 4x4 will be locked in all the time when the switch is on.

Maybe 25 " fronts and 24" rears?

The 500 can mud with other SRA machines, its just limited by ground clearance.

you can get racks and a winch for that 5oo.

Jim

Old 08-04-2005, 05:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider

i havent gotten stuck yet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

cept i dont mudd to often, but if mud smart u can get through alot...

but like jimmy said u the ground clearence is a bit of a downfall...thats how i get stuck in snow and sand the most

Old 08-04-2005, 05:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: duneaholic
There's a guy on the forums named speedwerx. His name is Jeremy and works for Hot Seat. He can tell you about the jetting I'm sure. You could PM him about it. Congratulations on your new bike and welcome to the forums.
oh and speedwerx generally is on the forums around 8 or 9 in the morning

he helped me w/my pipe[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

got it all fixed up for me...to make a long story short..it broke...sent it in...got it back and it was like new lol

later

Old 08-04-2005, 07:36 AM
Trailblazer

Hey on this tire size ratio thing, are you guy sure that I absolutely cannot put something like a 24" or 25" on the rear and leave the front at 23"? I am a large guy, around 290, and was hoping to level the bike out with a larger tire in the rear. Also add a little ground clearance. Seems to me that a larger tire in the rear would spin the rear axle slower in the ratio between front and rear axles not engaging the AWD all of the time, almost if anything, delaying the AWD from engaging for a split second.

Has anyone tried a setup such as this?

Old 08-04-2005, 07:46 AM
Pro Rider

I think you are correct, it would just take a split second longer for your 4x4 to kick in.

For the sag try bumping up the preload all the way or a stiffer spring from EPI.

My earlier reply was to if you put 25's all the way around.

Jim

Old 08-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

Ugonda, on the jetting ? have you done a plug check? I'm assuming you ride in temps of 60-90 but you should be running a 160 main jetraise the needle 1 clip and a 42.5 pilot jet with our pipe and a k&n filter. The person you bought the quad from should of got all off of this info with the pipe unless it was purchased over 3 years ago. FYI You can tell if you need the larger pilot jet if the machine backfires when you let off after a long wide open run. Hope this helps let me know if you have anymore ?'s.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Trailblazer

Ugonda, on the jetting ? have you done a plug check? I'm assuming you ride in temps of 60-90 but you should be running a 160 main jetraise the needle 1 clip and a 42.5 pilot jet with our pipe and a k&n filter.
Speedwerx, can you please tell me what this means in laymens terms. I know nothing about carbs, but I am mechanically inclined and a very quick learner. The guy I bought the bike from gave me all of the stock parts that the speed kit replaced, with the exception of the jet. He gave me a zip-lock bag with a brass jet (or at least that is what I thought it was) and he told me that he never put the Hot Seat jet in.

If you give me some pointers,, I'm sure I can change it out.

How much of a performance difference should it make?

I have only had the bike for a few days so I have only put maybe an hour or so on it. It has never backfired after a hard run (Tuesday Night I drag raced a Grizzly and a V-force) but it does pop if you backup without pressing the override button. Moreso than it should stock, way more than my sportsman does. The guy that I bought it from told me that it started doing it after he put the kit on.

Do you know what the hp is supposed to be with the Speed Kit installed?

BTW, you guys are awsome! I have learned so much on this forum!

THANKS

Old 08-04-2005, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

I pm'd you.

Quick Reply: Mod Recommendations for New Scrambler Convert