Gas prices are so high ----->

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 10:26 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Gas prices are so high ----->

Had to fill up the wife's Dakota and pick up dinner last night. Don't know exactly how much it would have taken, stopped at 60 dollars. I did save about 5 bucks, I was too sick to eat.

Old 08-18-2005, 10:28 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: DROG
Originally posted by: Markymannn
Interesting thread. Hey just a couple things I'd like to throw out there

1) I remember after 9/11 (2001), for at least a few months, gas dropped a lot. I thought for a while there it would go UNDER $1/gallon as I remember paying like $1.08. Wonder what caused that?
2) Somebody mentioned parking their F350 here. There is a guy here at work that has a 65 Lincoln and said with this gas price, it will not see the road again. But think of it this way, if you go 15 miles, it cost you maybe an extra 60 cents only. So keep driving it if you like it. Don't mis-understand me though, I don't like paying an extra $15 to fill-up either.
3) Gas prices in other countries..............is so high because they tax the heck out of it to support their huge social programs. I'll pay $3/gallon if I get completely free medical benefits and other perks
Canada average gas price 1.04 per LITER (NOT GALLON)
Tax's on each liter .26 cents
The rest goes directly to the oil companies
So how do you relate free health care to gas taxes.
The gas tax is for road repair only.
Perhaps you should check your source's because their wrong.
Yeah I know it is liters, but that guy equated it to $/gallon. Tax for you is 25% of the price. In NY, the % is about 35%. It doesn't all go for roads, some goes into the state's general spending fund. And your health care, supported ultimately by taxes from some source, is cheaper than the US's

Old 08-18-2005, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Originally posted by: 2c305pred500 and rescuediver, keep supporting the gas prices going up. your going to get just what you deserve.
I am not supporting the gas prices going up. I get frustrated just like majority of people. I have changed my driving habits to get better fuel mileage out of my vehicles. I paid $3.05 a gallon for diesel today. Had I filled up an hour earlier, it would of cost .02 less. I remember the 1970s and what America went through during that time period. Back then, we had to change our attitudes and could only get fuel on certain days. We are not doing that today. Cars then were only getting maybe 7-10 mpg and were by today's standard's gross polluters. Part of today's problem is China is a developing country and their fuel consumption is going up. I forget the exact numbers, but in a few years, they will be using more fuel, then us. In a way, I am glad we are not drilling in Alaska. Why? someday, we will need all our resources and won't be dependant on foreign oil like we are now. So, let's use their resources up and save ours "For that Rainy day" As long as we keep China from buying one of our major oil companies, we will be alright. When they tried to purchase Unoco. They said they would not take any oil that the company produced from within the US territory. So what, that meant only 17% of the oil would stay here. What about the other 83%? it would go to China[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Along with all the top secret military technology the company holds. Like I said, think outside your box. Also, I have traveled the world and lived overseas. I definately appreciate what we have in this Great Country[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I beleive that is the plan my friend behind stock piling our resources. =-)

Old 08-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

1) I remember after 9/11 (2001), for at least a few months, gas dropped a lot. I thought for a while there it would go UNDER $1/gallon as I remember paying like $1.08. Wonder what caused that?
2) Somebody mentioned parking their F350 here. There is a guy here at work that has a 65 Lincoln and said with this gas price, it will not see the road again. But think of it this way, if you go 15 miles, it cost you maybe an extra 60 cents only. So keep driving it if you like it. Don't mis-understand me though, I don't like paying an extra $15 to fill-up either.
3) Gas prices in other countries..............is so high because they tax the heck out of it to support their huge social programs. I'll pay $3/gallon if I get completely free medical benefits and other perks
Even if gas prices did relate to socialized medicine, how in the world can you think that it would be a good thing? Anyone that I have EVER talked to that came from a country with socialized medicine talks about how good our system is in comparison.

Socialized medicine = Long waits to see a doctor or have procedures done, lower quality of doctors and nurses because of capped income and poor working condition, bureaucracy makes any program cost more, slow technology. Socialized medicine is simply NOT effective.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:28 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: DROG

Canada average gas price 1.04 per LITER (NOT GALLON)
Tax's on each liter .26 cents
The rest goes directly to the oil companies
So how do you relate free health care to gas taxes.
The gas tax is for road repair only.
Perhaps you should check your source's because their wrong.
Yeah I know it is liters, but that guy equated it to $/gallon. Tax for you is 25% of the price. In NY, the % is about 35%. It doesn't all go for roads, some goes into the state's general spending fund. And your health care, supported ultimately by taxes from some source, is cheaper than the US's
Yes but I'm in Canada not the US

Old 08-19-2005, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

$108.9 cdn per liter.
as of last night here in bc canada.

Old 08-20-2005, 12:09 AM
RJF
Range Rover

In 30-40 years almost everyone will be driving hydrogen fuel cell vehicles and modern compression ignition engines will be run on B100 bio fuel. Fossil fuel demand will likely slowly drop off in 5 years or so and continue with more and more hybrids. It will drasticly drop off as hydrogen fuel cell technology becomes affordable and is under the hood of most common econo cars, vans, and some trucks.

I would imagine that most larger equipment will keep the compression ignition engine but most will run off B100.

Old 08-20-2005, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

The problem with hydrogen is that it isn't even close to being efficiently produced. I do agree, it will eventually be more commonplace, but not in the next 5 years. It is also very unstable. I, for one, am certainly not ready to strap the wife and kids into a hydrogen car yet.

Old 08-20-2005, 01:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

hydrogen is alot safer than yout hink, its not like sitting in the Hindenberg, 1, that was a LONG time ago, when was hte last time you saw a "zepplin" other at the last air show? exactly

per gallon, hydrogen is currenly in liquid form about 5 dollars, 3 dollars in gas form.

Old 08-20-2005, 01:20 AM
RJF
Range Rover

Originally posted by: 05PRED500
The problem with hydrogen is that it isn't even close to being efficiently produced. I do agree, it will eventually be more commonplace, but not in the next 5 years. It is also very unstable. I, for one, am certainly not ready to strap the wife and kids into a hydrogen car yet.
I said the fossil fuel demand will start to drop off in 5 years or so as more of the Honda type hybrids of today get more popular, not a complete take over of hydrogen, it's much further than 5 yeas off. In 30-40 years hydrogen will be the norm.

Quick Reply: Gas prices are so high ----->