Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ITP XTR Lite Tires??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 09:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITP XTR Lite Tires??

I have a 2004 sportsman 700 and want to replace the tires with 589's.... I am thinking about the ITP XTR radial tires. Any comments on which ones to buy. Also, type 7 or 5 rims??

tks

Old 08-20-2005, 07:41 AM
Range Rover

i just bought the 589 with type 5 rims and they are great. the run pretty smooth on hard pack and in the mud they are hoooooo!!!!! check my pics out.

Old 08-20-2005, 02:50 PM

I have riding buddies......one with 589s, one with GBC Gators and one with brand new Mudlite XTRs. All are on Grizzlies. I have ridden the machine with the 589s and didn't really like the ride......VERY hard, stiff and unforgiving. The 589 is a 6 ply very tough tire. In all of our riding the 589s have not had even a slow leak.......tough tire.......but man what a tough ride. They also do not have any tread that runs to the sidewall. That helps in the ruts. Even though they are a tough tire which will give longevity, I would not get them myself because of the buckboard ride. I have also ridden the machine with the GBC Gators and thought the ride was much better compared to the 589s. The Gators are also a 6 ply tire and they have not had a failure either (even on the stock rolled aluminum rims). I have NOT ridden the machine with Mudlite XTRs.....however, performance in the mud was better with the Mudlite XTRs when we were all riding. Some other things also helped I'm sure. The other Grizzlies are all 26" tires while the Mudlite XTRs on this Grizzly are 27"s. Also, the XTR's are brand spanking new with huge sharp edged lugs.......the 589's and Gators both have at least 1000 miles on them.

One other note........the stock Grizzly tires that the XTRs replaced were HORRIBLE.......failure after failure. We were always having to fix his leaks or return from our ride prematurely. By contrast, the stock Carlise 489s that I just replaced on my Sportsman held up very well with no failures. I now have the 14" Polaris/Vision wheels and 26" Kenda Bounty Hunter radials with about 35 miles.

Old 08-20-2005, 02:51 PM

What's up with the word tough???

Old 08-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Guys,

great reports and pics, that 500 HO looks hot with those tires... I don't ride much mud and am leaning towards the XTR radials with type 5 rims for a rugged tires that is smooth riding...

Old 08-24-2005, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

After running 27” 589s for 5500 miles, no offence to B-in-the-S-A but I’ll have to disagree, or at least question the amount of air pressure those “stiff and unforgiving” tires had in them. Of course, mine were on a 500HO so there’d be a difference in the feel compared to a Griz.

I’ve always considered the biggest compliment you can pay a tire is to like them well enough to buy them again. 589s definitely fall into this category for me, as do MudRunners and Bi-Claw / Tri-Claws. For riding in a combination of deep mud, swamp, big rocks and gravel these tires performed better and rode smoother than anything I’d tried previously (all the above plus Vamps, Bear Claws, Super Swampers). The worst thing about the 589s is their power-robbing weight. Where the really shine is in performance and longevity. I sold these used tires a year ago and they’re still being run today. The rocks we ride in tear up Tri-Claws, Bear Claws and Mud Lites within a half season (about 1000 miles). A couple months ago I put a set of 28” Mud Lites on my 700 EFI SP and after two rides (about 350 miles) the lugs looked worse than my 589s when I sold them.

It all depends on what you want and where you ride. Kenda Executioners are even tougher than 589s and better in the mud, but unlike 589s they’re a little squirrelly and unpredictable on gravel at speed. Damn fine mud tire though, they have so much bite I sheared a front axle back in May. Broke it right off.

Currently I’m running a set of 27x12 XTRs on C series 4 wheels. I was really tempted to get the 14 inchers but opted for more sidewall and less aluminum because of the rocks. This is the first set of radials I’ve ridden (took the stockers off right away) and they’ve really surprised me. At first I tried running them with 6#s of air and didn’t like the way they slid around on gravel. Even at 5#s I’m surprised how much they slide around. It’s not that they’re unpredictable but they can make gravel feel like marbles, maybe because of the bigger contact patch and more lugs in the center. They are smooooooooth riding. I thought the regular Mud Lites were smooth, and they are for a mud tire, but that’s what my wife is running on her 700 and when I load both machines onto the plywood floor of our enclosed trailer hers feels like I’m running over bumps where mine is just smoooooth.

We like to “hop logs.” Our general rule of thumb is the log is too big to hop when some part of the machine contacts the wood before the tires do (that’d be a big-un). I have never, ever had a tire that felt this confident at hopping logs. It has great grab, walks right up the side of the log and goes over it like you’re riding on a set of pillows. You’d have to experience it to believe it.

Mud performance is good. I only have a couple hundred miles on them so “testing’ is still in progress. They wouldn’t beat Tri-Claw Bi-Claws in the mud (my favorite mud tire, but rocks tore big chunks out of the lugs) or Kenda Executioners but at this point I’ll say they are very good.

Would I buy then again? Yep, unless some more aggressive radial comes along (please!). I’ve torn up a lot of equipment running big heavy tires and at this point I think these, while not really in the “lite” category, are a fine compromise between an all-out mudder and well mannered trail tire that won’t stress the drive train as much as the big guys. But that’s just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Old 08-24-2005, 08:44 PM

'floodrunner'

What a great review. You obviously have a lot of experience with many tires. Nice job!

It sounds to me that with all of your rocky riding that you really need the toughest tires. I've always heard the Maxxis Bighorns were a really great, very tough tire excepting for mud........ever tried them?

Old 08-24-2005, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

You’re too kind B-in-the-S-A, thank you. And I agree, enough already with the tough stuff!!!

No, I haven’t ever owned or ridden (or even seen in person) a machine with Maxxis Bighorns on it. Just looking at them, my impression is they’d be good (if not great) in the rocks but a poor choice for mud. Just the name Bighorn says “rocks” to me. We’re mudders at heart with rock and log challenges running a close second. Where we ride it’s an unfortunate reality that we have to endure a lot of gravel road riding between the “fun stuff” so our tires have to be versatile even if they lean toward our preference, mud performance. It becomes a matter of picking the right tool for the job and you can make an educated guess by looking at specs and tread patterns but there’s nothing like time in the saddle above ‘em to know for sure.

One thing I forgot to mention about both the 589s and the Kenda Executioners is these are the only two brands of tires I’ve ever owned that needed to be spin-balanced in the front to settle the front end down. As much as I like both these tires, in my book this is a HUGE demerit. To be fair, I bought 27” 589s when they first hit the market and I probably bought the first run of Executioners when they came out this year too. ITP may have improved their QC on the 589s by now and Kenda may do the same but in my opinion you shouldn’t need, and don’t want wheel weights on ATV tires.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Floodrunner,
I must agree with you on the 589s..I put 1700 miles on mine when I owned the Rincon.Than last October when I bought the new KQ 700,I took them off the Rincon and put them on my KQ..I have 900 miles on the KQ and they are allmost as good as new,and I honestly mean this too..

Im now buying the new Bomb 800 Max and giving real careful concideration of putting these on my new Bomb once I take them off the KQ,BUT,I sure would like a smoother ride that comes with a radial tire WITHOUT giving up the superiour traction in the mud..

I can buy 27x9x14fronts and 27x11x14rears for 750 bucks,mounted and delieverd to my door step.Im just wondering if I really want to go with the new 14 rims or stay with my stock 12s?

Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 08-30-2005, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

I guess the answer to that depends on how you like to ride and what terrain you like to ride in. The hype on ITP’s website suggests the 14s handle better while the 12s mud better. On paper I’d have to agree but I’ve never owned the 14s so I can’t really offer a first-person opinion.

It stands to reason you’d enjoy better cornering with less sidewall flex on the 14s. If woods racing is a high priority for you (where there aren’t a lot of rock hazards) 14s may be your best choice. It also stands to reason that the taller sidewall on the 12s would give you a larger contact patch resulting in more floatation and traction which would be advantages in the mud.

I happen to like both. We throw these big machines around in the woods like they’re sport quads. That’s where the 28” Mud Lites really slowed me down. Taller sidewall = more flex when cornering and higher center of gravity. Together these two are a very bad combination in a tight, fast corner. They shined in the mud though with better floatation (10” fronts) and better ground clearance. I almost thought I could live with the compromise, but then I saw how fast they were wearing out riding them that hard in the rocks and noticed the increased wear on my tie rod ends and decided to go back to a 27” tire. I came close to buying 14s but the banged-up 12” wheels on my last machine from riding rocks changed my mind.

In a perfect world I could pay a pit crew to follow me around with a change of tires for every type of terrain. Since that ain’t likely to happen to most of us we pick a tire that suits our highest priorities and offers the least amount of shortcomings for the way we ride. Compromise.

While riding last weekend I decided to try running 4 pounds in these XTRs (4#s cold = about 5#s hot, or after a few miles of riding). Wow, I like the difference it made. I didn’t notice any negative affect on handling and now they REALY soak up the occasional jarring effect of a rock or tree limb. Log-hoping traction seems even better so I’m betting mud traction is better too. The more I ride these the more I like ‘em.

Quick Reply: ITP XTR Lite Tires??