Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Age restrictions , egos ,and common sense

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2000, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At work today I had a grandmother stop in for parts for her son . Seems son has purchased a PW50 for *Little Wilbur* the 3 year old . She was telling me how they have lowered the PW50 down lower so Wilbur can come closer to touching the ground easier . Wilbur still can't touch the ground on his training wheeled 50 . She was impressed with the performance of the 50 , it still pulls dad around . *GASP*

I have been to race tracks where fathers in their motocross boots are screaming at their sons telling them to get "aggressive out there" they stomp , bitch , get in the kids faces raising all kinds of hell . One truly sickening sight was at a track where dad peering over the fence held his right hand up (in a throttle twisting motion ) and screaming at the kid to "get on it !!!"

These guys swagger into motorcycle shops everywhere proud as peacocks of their little racers. I understand that comepletely , I have two sons myself . Partaking in racing is inherantly dangerous , DON'T PUSH YOUR KID . Chewing his tail and then sending him out to ride over his head is just plain dumb . Let him have fun , and be proud of him no matter where he finishes .

When my eldest was seven I took a 185 Honda trike and made it into a 4 wheeler for him to enjoy . Much to my suprise he did things I didn't understand , he didn't *by instinct* know where ditches would be , or adjust his weight when cornering or going up grades . I watched him like a hawk and was suprised how long it took him to operate the thing like I thought he should have been able to . Huh ,, I started him out a few years to soon . I had a couple big scares while observing him . I really should have known better .

So in a nut shell , pay attention to age restrictions on your quads , and never push a kid to ride faster than he wants to , if you want to teach something , teach safety . It has a higher value than speed , and should be understood before the finer points of racing .

I hear stories all the time (and may get to here some more in follow up posts) of how some *Little Wilburs* are just naturals at riding . That may be true , but many (most all in my opinion) are not . I understand the pride in seeing your kids doing something we all enjoy and I can't tell you how much I enjoy cruising around with my sons when I can . But remember , don't let the joy of riding and pride in your children cloud your good judgement on safety .

Old 10-21-2000, 02:17 AM
Range Rover

Hey Rick,
I agree with you 110% My friend used to race 125C class, and we werent cheering as hard as some of the parents were getting on there kids. Its sad, almost like they are yelling at them. Riding should be fun, thats the last thing we need is kids to get discouraged and not want to ride! Preserve our sport!

-Jared

Old 10-21-2000, 03:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said, Rick!

You highlight what might be called the "Little League Jerk Parents" phenomenom--grownups sometimes get so competitively out-of-shape regarding the KIDS' activities, the PARENTS fight, to the extent of a human death recently in the news.

Children need SUPPORT from parents that allows the children to develop at their own pace; as you suggest, grownups pushing them beyond their own level may endanger them in motorsports; as a minimum, the children may develop a loathing for the activity and their pushy, "stage-mother" parents as well.

Parents have lived their own lives; they shouldn't now live through their children. Give the kids a chance to develop at their own unique natural pace.

Tree Farmer

Old 10-21-2000, 07:24 AM
Trailblazer

For any parent that “does not get” what was just said and has kids just pick a sport your kids do not play and go watch the parents. It may scare you to see yourself.

Mark

Old 10-21-2000, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

this can go for allot of things like school sports and all that. I see parents all the time acting like they have millions on the line when there 12 year old misses a free throw! and i cannot even imagine the parents yelling at there kids on a race track! wow that is insane! they all want the next Jeremy Mcgrath so they can get rich and do nothing. you know you can't vote till your 18 drink till your 21, but you can be a parent and any age or any mentality level it is stupid.

Old 10-21-2000, 10:56 AM
Range Rover

unfortunatly it works the other way also, kids "talking" their parents into to big of a machine. A friend of mines kid(15) was riding in local mx(d/b) races here he should have been on a 80 still, for his ability and size, but that wasnt "cool". So they got him a 125, his second race, he lost control around a big sweeper crashed, head-on into another racer,right in front of us and his parents. He broke both wrists 1 arm, 1 ankle,both the lower bones in his right leg, the big upper bone in his right leg and still has a metal bar on the outside of his shin with 3 pins that hook to his bone(this happened in March), and still has 2 operations to go. This kid is by no means a beginner rider either they have mx track at their house, dad is a bulldozer/backhoe operator. but he didnt weigh enough to control the bike safely, we ride alot in the dunes and it kills me to see these people letting little kids ride hopped-up shees or r's, when most of the time the kid has no idea what he/she is on, or how dangerous it can be. I dont know i guess i just need to worry about my own son and try and set the best example i can for him. Whats that old saying, its all fun and games till somebody gets hurt

Old 10-21-2000, 11:40 AM
Trailblazer

Dunerash:
That really makes me think that I'll let my 14 year old keep his XR100 for a little longer. He's too big for it and wants a 125 but maybe I'll let him wait another year.
Thanks,
Zion

Old 10-21-2000, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

Rick

Great post. More parents should care about how their kids do in school and who they are hanging around with and less about where they finished on the mx track. Its a sport and it should be done for fun. It disgust me to go to a kids game anymore and listen to some of the parents. Oh well, If you could only teach common sense and manners like it should be taught.

Old 10-21-2000, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

one of my friends used to race dirt bikes when he was younger (teens-early20s). After awhile it took a toll on him and he got done, but still loved to watch. There was a kid who raced a 125 in an open class, and his old man thought he'd do better on a 250. (His dad didn't have a clue about bikes) Now, anyone who's ridden both knows there's a major MAJOR difference between the two. Anyway, first race, first time on his 250, the kid took off from the line like he would on his 125, wheelied over backwards, and snapped his spine. His dad outa be proud.

Old 10-21-2000, 05:49 PM
ox
Pro Rider

These are good points, and good "for examples", but don't forget how many other kids moved up the ladder and didn't get hurt anymore than the rest of us. I've wiped mine out before. And by golly, I have full intentions to do it again (wipe it out that is). Maybe the best thing to do before either of these prime examples raced their new machines, was to take it out in the back 40 and get used to the new "feel". The new "balance". 15 years old on a 125 doesn't sound THAT bad. Maybe he was small. But I bet a lot of other kids his same size didn't have as bad of luck. $hit happens. And it happens a lot more often when racing. I personaly don't have much use for it. BUT it's a good thing we don't all like the same things. When I was a kid, and maybe a little bit now, I pushed the limits without racing. I can only imagine if I was racing! Maybe THAT"S the point that you should be making. Rather than what size they are racing, should they be racing at all. Good thing we live in a semi free country where we have some choices. If you don't like it, don't enter your kid.

Quick Reply: Age restrictions , egos ,and common sense