Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 overheating again!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 12:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 overheating again!

Update: I took the "clean" radiator out of the machine. The radiator was plugged solid. It is not going to go back down there in the mud. I think it will fit nicely up on the rack. I bought this machine to ride, not spend all my time cleaning the radiator! I spent a lot of time concentrating on the radiator, knowing that it was going in the parade, yet there are several areas that you can't wash out. I will try to take pics of the modification as I do it, as I am sure there are some other people that have this problem. I will keep you updated.

Old 09-12-2005, 07:26 PM
RJF
Range Rover

[quote]
Originally posted by: ixRAZORxi
[quote]
Originally posted by: tbg120
this is funny. It will just run too cold. It will not keep the radiator from working.. the thermostat lets the water get up to a set temp before opening and flowing the water. With the thermostat gutted it will cool just fine. May overcool. i doubt it though I can't see why you would need a thermostat anyway in a quad.
There are two variables when taking a thermostat out. One ,like the guy above mentioned, coolant flows through the radiator to fast to properly cool it down before it re enters the motor.

The 2nd variable is that the coolant is rushing so fast through the engine that it doesn't have a chance to sit long enough in the cylinder jackets to actually exchange heat between the cylinders and coolant. This produces high cylinder temps inside the cylinder where the guage doesn't read.

A cooling system that is designed to have a thermostat should not be run without one. The only way I could see a cooling system being effective without a thermostat is one designed with a a low output water pump. One that won't circulate the coolant too fast causing the above mentioned problems.

Old 09-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

If you find a decent way of mounting your rad on the racks, I would sure like to see it. For being a good mudder otherwise their radiator protection leaves much to be desired. Unfortunately my racks both front & rear wind up pretty muddy. Well isn't really unfortunate cause I work hard for all that mud.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

When I read the first post on this thread I would have bet $100 it was a clogged radiator. As serious mudders, this has been happening to us for years. When Polaris came out with the removable screen that made it MUCH easier to clean the radiator we thought the problem was cured. Nope, there are just too many places for mud to get trapped, especially between the back of the radiator and the fan shroud, to be able to get it clean with a garden hose or pressure washer.

Our solution was to install coolant temp gauges in the pods and carry an Trail Washer with a special wand designed for cleaning out radiators from the front and back. If you’re interested you can find both here.

Another thing we do twice a year is remove the fan and the shroud to give the radiator a really good blasting out. Its not that tough, only 8 bolts, but take the fan out then the shroud, not both as a unit or you’ll be in trouble.

Old 09-23-2005, 09:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Another update:

Radiator relocation is complete, and trail tested. Success! The fan works properly, and if the radiator gets mud on it now, the machine will be floating upside-down. My next job is to put a steel cover over it, and maufacture a basket on either side of it. Then, i get to replace both rear bearings, and both inner cv boots... I am going to try to put a couple of pics up.