Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

4 place trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2000, 12:05 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this isn't the place to post this, but, everyone in this forum has been so helpful I know you'll have some input on this subject. Besides, I'll be hauling Polaris quads, exclusively.
I'm looking for a 4-place ATV trailer. Looks like one option is a 4-place aluminum snowmobile trailer with tandem axles. I definitely want tandem, and brakes, but am wondering about the 10 inch tires that come on those trailers. Can they handle Interstate speed, and if so, for how long. I'd be coming from Wisconsin, and am planning to ride Colorado next summer, and Hatfield/McCoy next year as well. It'll be getting some miles, and I'm wondering if the "small" tires will hold up. Any experience? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Russ

Old 10-24-2000, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

you would be better off to get a 7000 Lb car trailer a 16 foot should do that way it has real tires and electric brakes plus it is realy more versitile then a sled trailer you can get a 16 foot ABU brand for 1600.00 at ace hardware that is what i will be getting when i dump of my sled bed 8.5 x 10 any takers less then a year old.

Old 10-24-2000, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

I have twelve foot snowmobile trailer that has tandem axle and haul it all over,has the 8.5x18 tires.I have no problem with and haul 4 quads many times.It's not alum so is heavey by it's self.You get car hauler you can't have two across as they are to narrow.Plus they are heavey,if you plan on hauling a car from time to time that would be fine but for Quads snowmobile trailer is the way to go.14ft-16ft would be nice size,you'd have some storage room.My 12 footer makes it tight.The 6ply tires are rated at around 950lbs a piece,thats 3800lbs.CM

Old 10-24-2000, 06:07 AM
Pro Rider

DITTO!

Old 10-24-2000, 07:36 AM
Pro Rider

A 16 ft car hauler without rails will allow you to pull 4 full size quads. You can drive 'em up on the trailer from the side.

Dave

Old 10-24-2000, 09:32 AM
Range Rover

I've seen some folks out our rides with a double-decker trailer. They took a 6x12 tandem axel trailer, welded vertical tubing on all the corners and created another "bed" on top. it is hinged at the front and uses a boat loading winch to raise and lower the back. You have to unload the bottom ATVs first, lower the back and then unload the top ones.

A very neat setup and it doesn't take up much room. I'll see if I can scare-up some pictures of it.

Old 10-24-2000, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

a 16 foot car trailer will haul 4 quads (barely). If it has rails under 8 inches tall or so, you will be able to load them from the sides, depending on the clearance of your machines. Just find a 4x6 inch piece of wood wider than your quad to use as a 'step' between the rail and bed. Use the new arched ramps to get to the rail & you should be OK. Just be sure the rail is a couple inches lower than the clearance of the quad. For about $100 a welding shop could lower it for you. I would prefer at least a little rail or removable one, just to give a little more security to your machines. If it was me, the tie downs would fail just as I was meeting an 18 wheeler or RR Crossing. I would go with an 18 footer, for the extra room, unless you plan to haul all your gear on the tow viechle. Car trailers are heavier, but will haul more, has better tires, bearings, and brakes, and will be much easier to sell. Or you could always get a 24 foot horse/livestock trailer and help haul my cows lol

Old 10-24-2000, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

How much was the 4 place trailer you have i personally will go with the car trailer this one actually has removable sides and front so in thery you can make a double decker here to and haul more then 4 quads. for on the bottom and half rack the front then you would be stylin.

Old 10-24-2000, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer

Weight is a pretty big concern for me. I'll be pulling it (at least for now) with a 95 Chevy Blazer (the small blazer) with a 4.3 v6 engine. Anybody have an idea on empty weight of a car hauler type trailer versus an aluminum snowmo trailer. I know the car hauler is heavier, but how much? Has anyone had problems with the little 10" tires on the snowmobile trailers?

-r

Old 10-24-2000, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

Those 10" tires are prone to blowing, especially the stock 4ply ones that trailers always come with new.The 6plys seem to hold up as long as your not going better than 70mph. I've got a home built car trailer with a 17' by 8'4" bed on it. Its built like a tank 2000lbs empty, has 12ply lowboy tires on it rated for 3850lbs a peice! This trailer will haul @ss down the freeway at 85mph all day long, just don't forget to connect the brakes!The best thing about the trailer is it only cost $250!!! all it needed was a new deck and tires. My point is look around, there are alot of bargains out there.

Quick Reply: 4 place trailer