Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'05 700 EFI Error 51

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 700 EFI Error 51

Originally posted by: AnywhereTom
ElkBow Check your spark plug wires for wear as well, I was getting the same thing on my EFI and found out it was not the injector but, worn insulation on the plug wires.
I checked them right away. I talked to the owner of the dealer who is very knowledgeable. He said they have never had a fuel injector go bad, that the error code that I was getting could be to multiple reasons. So he started to ask me a few questions, one was 'was it overheating'....as I think about it, there were no indications, but I did add fluid one time, thinking it was due to when i rolled it....but then also the problem really occurs when it heats up.

He said it is most likely the thermostat....that they have replaced a few of them already. He said they have also had a couple of fuel pumps go bad and one problem with wiring under the pod.

I dropped it off with him this afternoon as he said he can hook it up to the computer quick and find out what is really the problem, most likely the thermostat....

dave

Old 09-26-2005, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

LOL elkbow, it is going to be interesting to find out what this problem was!! Keep us up-to-date.
Bryce

Old 09-26-2005, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BryceGTX
LOL elkbow, it is going to be interesting to find out what this problem was!! Keep us up-to-date.
Bryce
should be interesting...i trust the dealer, it was the owner i talked to and where i bought my atv....he said they have never had a injector fail, but alot of stuff will list the error code that i have...

and the more he talked about overheating, i had to add some fluid when i was up in the mountains, and the 'check engine' light wouldn't come on until it warmed up, he said they have replaced a few thermostats already, and i think also the fuel pump as well as had one wiring problem in the pod, all with the same error....

so since I didn't have much time to troubleshoot, i just dropped off with him on saturday....what i didn't tell him is that i need it by this friday as i'm going up to the mountains again for 5 days....taking two guys from NH on a muzzleloader cow elk hunt.....

oh well, we'll see

dave

Old 09-28-2005, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

well, I called the dealer today because I told them i really needed the ATV for this weekend...they said they would get to it tomorrow morning and hookup to the computer and run the codes...

they called me this afternoon, said it was fixed, I asked them what the problem was, they said it was a bad ECU...

so anyways, I asked how much that was going to cost me....he said...'well, a new one costs $359...but they have a newer version which is even more money and I put in the newer version'.....then he asked 'when did you get this machine, is it under warranty?'.....well we know he had to already know that information....which I bought it just over a year ago.....then he said 'i'll have the price for you when you pick it up, i'll give you a discount, you'll be really pleased'.....

i'm not sure what that meant, but I do know that there was a recall as one of the guys pointed out above, on the ECU module....when i looked at the VIN numbers, mine wasn't in the range....

do you think the dealer is giving this to me for free, or do you think he is going to charge me? do you think I should call Polaris in the morning before picking it up and going over it with them first, since they already have a recall on some of the ECU's? There is obviously a problem with them....

let me know what you think and thanks for everyones inputs on this thread....

dave

Old 09-28-2005, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not surprised it was the ecm, I wasn't buying the bad thermostat theory. With the history of ecm problems I think they should cover it or at least the parts with you picking up the labor end of it. I hope they do you right...

Old 09-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

The million dollar question is how certain is the dealer that the ECM was bad. I guess you will find out when you take it out this weekend. I would check that the ECM was in fact replaced. What kind of warranty is on the ECM. For instance, suppose the new ECM does not in fact fix the problem. Also, ask if you can have the old ECM; especially if you have to pay anything for it. You are entitled to the old parts if you have to pay for them.
I hope this helps,
Bryce

Old 09-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

The million dollar question is how certain is the dealer that the ECM was bad. I guess you will find out when you take it out this weekend. I would check that the ECM was in fact replaced. What kind of warranty is on the ECM. For instance, suppose the new ECM does not in fact fix the problem. Also, ask if you can have the old ECM; especially if you have to pay anything for it. You are entitled to the old parts if you have to pay for them.
I hope this helps,
Bryce
I was thinking the same thing....if the computer diagnostics are worth a crap, they should easily point out the ECM. The recall if for ECM's getting hot, not really failing. If the machine sits for awhile, the 'check engine' light was not on until you rode it for awhile. This dealership does have some pretty good mechanics....so hopefully it is the problem, as I don't want to get up in the mountains and 30 miles from camp again and have it go in to limp mode...that would bite....

i guess i'll see tomorrow....and maybe it would be a good idea to get the old ECM just in case I can get Polaris to cover it....

dave

Old 09-28-2005, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Humbert
Originally posted by: elkbow
I hope this helps,
Bryce
I was thinking the same thing....if the computer diagnostics are worth a crap, they should easily point out the ECM. The recall if for ECM's getting hot, not really failing. If the machine sits for awhile, the 'check engine' light was not on until you rode it for awhile. This dealership does have some pretty good mechanics....so hopefully it is the problem, as I don't want to get up in the mountains and 30 miles from camp again and have it go in to limp mode...that would bite....

i guess i'll see tomorrow....and maybe it would be a good idea to get the old ECM just in case I can get Polaris to cover it....

dave
Thats why i stick with the basics. (carbs) if i wanted a smoother ride from my bike id buy a camry. Goes to show -stick with the basics. nothing beats 39mmfcrs. i rest my case
i can tell you that having the EFI here in NM to is almost a must, we will ride in one day from 5000 - 12000 feet in elevation....when i had my 500, it was a pain, would barely run above 10000 feet....

but like with everything, the more complicated it gets, the harder it is to work on, so you have a point about the carbs, we all know how they work...

Old 09-29-2005, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer

EFI is complicated because you don't understand it. If you ask me, I would rather diagnose EFI than carburator. I have no real clue how to do carbs. That is why the machine I bought is an 800 EFI and what I will be switching my wife to in a year or so.

I know a guy who knows EFI cars like the back of his hand. Diagnostics to him is simple and hence profitable. I put an Edelbrock carb on my boat. Why that one? Because they told me it was bolt on. When I had a problem I sent it to a mechanic. I don't do carbs. If it were EFI, I would attempt to diagnose it. It is all what you feel comfortable with. I am not comfortable with carbs so I won't fiddle with them. EFI I will try use the scanner. I have some basic understanding of the venturi effect and that is all I know about a carb. I was hesitant to rejet my wife's machine because I don't know carbs. When I had to do a twist throttle on my 800 EFI, I was confident enough to take the TB out and do it myself. When it came to a carb, I sent it to a mechanic to do for my Rincon which was carbed.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: aklim69
EFI is complicated because you don't understand it. If you ask me, I would rather diagnose EFI than carburator. I have no real clue how to do carbs. That is why the machine I bought is an 800 EFI and what I will be switching my wife to in a year or so.

I know a guy who knows EFI cars like the back of his hand. Diagnostics to him is simple and hence profitable. I put an Edelbrock carb on my boat. Why that one? Because they told me it was bolt on. When I had a problem I sent it to a mechanic. I don't do carbs. If it were EFI, I would attempt to diagnose it. It is all what you feel comfortable with. I am not comfortable with carbs so I won't fiddle with them. EFI I will try use the scanner. I have some basic understanding of the venturi effect and that is all I know about a carb. I was hesitant to rejet my wife's machine because I don't know carbs. When I had to do a twist throttle on my 800 EFI, I was confident enough to take the TB out and do it myself. When it came to a carb, I sent it to a mechanic to do for my Rincon which was carbed.

i would agree with you if I had the software that the dealers have, but since polaris does not offer it there are some things i will not be able to diagnose....

look at the failure I just had, the ECU failed....i have no way of diagnosing it other than to swap it with another one, which I don't have access to...

Quick Reply: '05 700 EFI Error 51