Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 400 clutch problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler 400 clutch problems?

Heres the story. My starter went bad so I pull started it and it started leaking antifreeze. I brought my 2000 scrambler 400 4x4 into the local dealer to get my waterpump replaced because it was leeaking antifreeze from the engine.I got a new starter off ebay to bring with me to the dealer. I already installed a new solenoid just to make sure it wasnt that. Anyways after I brought it to the dealer to have them fix the waterpump and install the starter for me I guess during inspection they told me that "Drive belt worn out needs to be replaced. Clutch needs to be replaced or belt will go bad again. you will have loss of power. boot for clutch intake torn. Machine needs new battery" They wanted another 600 to fix this. I told them no thank you. I just put a new battery in it this spring but it doesnt hold a charge now so I need another new one again. I dont even drive it normaly because its for my girlfreind. I did drive it though before I brought it to them it and rides fine. I never felt a belt slip of lack of power. Are they B.S.ing me or what about the belt and clutch? How can I check this out for myself or fix it? the vehicle is all stock and has about 150 hours on it. THanks again for the help.

Old 09-30-2005, 03:27 PM
Range Rover

you know what they say if it has TIRES OR T*TS it is bound to be expensive

thats quadin man costs lots just like sledding and birt bikes always broke down

Old 09-30-2005, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

No doubt about that. I already put 1400 in to it this year.

Old 09-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

as for the battery if it's acid filled and you let it sit for a couple or few months it's junk. spend the extra 40 bucks for the maintenance free battery and you won't have that problem anymore. i've been thru three so i've been down that road.

Old 09-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

The scrambler has been used 4 to 5 times this summer and has always been charged every couple of weeks if not used. I do this for all my toys. I have 3 quads, two motorcycles, and dirt bike. Im not worried about replacing the battery. Thats not to expensive. I want to know about the clutch\belt so called problem?

Old 09-30-2005, 05:53 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have them show you the clutch and if the sheeves are worn you will need a new clutch and belt.But you can get rebuilt clutches off of ebay for less than $200.

Old 09-30-2005, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

Thank ftwfth, I already got the scrambler back from the dealer. I had them only put in the starter and fix the waterpump. How can I tell for myself If I need the clutch\belt or not? is installin a new belt easy? i have the service manual for it but it doesnt really tell you what to look for? Also I just took it for a test ride and now when I go in reverse I have to use the override button unless it wants to stall. This wasnt like that before i brought it to them. They gave me back the quad all muddy also and it was perfectly clean when droped off and they told me they had to test ride it to get the engine hot to make sure antifreeze dont leak and check the antifreeze level. I understand the engine has to get warm to check the antifreeze but what does this have to do with test riding it? It rides good though with plenty of power forward and reverse when using the override.

Old 09-30-2005, 09:10 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

On the the belt you just roll the old one off and roll the new one on.The clutch feel the inside of the sheeves and if you feel a wore place or a groove it is time to replace.On the reverse over ride just pull the hood and find the box with 3 wires and one of the wires is black unplug the black one. This will eleminate the reverse over ride.If you want a new box let me know.

Old 10-01-2005, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

You mean my overide doesnt work? what new box? thanks for the help. removing the wire keeps the override always on?

Old 10-01-2005, 08:07 AM
Quad Patrol

Unplugging that wire disables the reverse override but you will still have to use the button for 4x4 in reverse.

Quick Reply: Scrambler 400 clutch problems?