Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

disappointed with griz,will I be with sp500ho

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2000, 03:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only had my 2000 grizzly for a year. I won't say that I was extremely dissapointed but I expected more from this machine. I didn't do enough research when I bought it so that is my own fault.I was always against polaris because of hearing of dependability problems but have heard they have gotten better. Iv'e decided on buying sp500 ho. Will I be dissapointed with this machine also?

Old 10-26-2000, 03:40 PM
Trailblazer

NO I don't think you will. I have been on both bikes,the H.O. is by far the better bike,as for a reliablit we have not had to much of a problems with the SP500's.I have a friend that went thru 2 griz's the past 2 years motor problems now he rides a H.O.not a problem yet and he loves it.

Old 10-26-2000, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

PAW; thats really an answer that only you can give,depends on what you expect of the machine.You want power and AUTO,switchable 2wheel4 wheel,fabulous ride(large comfortable seat),TRUE AWD, IRS, EBS,handling second to none,short turning radius,start any gear,reliability and more fun than should be legal to have,yes you'll be happy.But if you want more yes you'll be dissapointed!!!!.

Old 10-26-2000, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for your input guys. I suppose that I thought the grizz would be able to do about anything. Even with some mods(K&N power kit, supertrapp exaust, blackwaterXT 27's)It would still get stuck or have difficulty with rough situations. I want true 4 wheel drive and a smoother ride. Also something alittle more quiet. The griz is a good machine with great power, but it's not for me.

Old 10-26-2000, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Funny, I just got off the phone with a friend that wants to get rid of his 2000 Griz. He wanted to know what I thought he could get for it. I really don't know what it's worth, he has 110 miles on it - anyone know?

Old 10-26-2000, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tryan,
Trash pick-up comes early tommorrow morning in my area.Shall I save your friend a spot next to my garbage cans?LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Old 10-26-2000, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

Just out of curiousity, why are you not happy with the Grizz ?

ANYTHING can get stuck, even a Sportsman. Have you ridden WITH a Sportsman that made it through holes that you couldn't.

I was torn between a Grizz and an HO too. I got the HO a week ago, and so far i'm happy.

Dave

Old 10-26-2000, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

IndyDave,
I think that several things added to why I don't like my griz. First of all, I only get to ride for four months out of the year because of my job. My riding is done primarily in the winter. Hillclimbs in the snow were made to look difficult with the grizz. My buddies, most of whom have quads with locking differentials or true 4 wheel drive would have little or no problem. It was situations that limited slip was definately a liability. I understand that any quad can get stuck. I liked the griz for its power but not for its off road capabilities. Too loud too as I use it for hunting. I guess it's just personal preference.

Old 10-27-2000, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

Just out of curiosity, why are you dumping the 500 Scrambler 4x4 for a Sportsman H.O.? I just dumped my very nice 2000 Sportsman for a 2001 H.O. I love them both, sold it and my 325Mag to a good buddy and go riding with all of the above. The Scrambler has always intrigued me but I've never ridden one. I think the new H.O. has stiffer suspension than the 2000 Sportsman, maybe some more Scrambler parts, I've ridden them side by side. It should have tauter suspension to handle the extra power and more aggressive riding, it certainly jumps better,but sometimes I miss the "cush". I would think the weight would be a minus, the Hi/Lo and I.R.S the big plus.
Silly Later,,,,,Fourlix

Old 10-27-2000, 02:27 AM
Range Rover

paw,i like my sp500 its a 96 . looking at buying an h.o sp or save some $ and get a 500 mag.

Quick Reply: disappointed with griz,will I be with sp500ho