Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

motor rebuild break-in period

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 10:55 PM
Gix
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor rebuild break-in period

what is actually suggested as the best way to break-in a rebuilt motor? The clymer manual talks about various rpms up to 1/3 throttle for the first 5-10 hours. I live in the city... you know how long it would take me to break it in like that? then it talks about 1/2 throttle or at least no full throttle until like 100-150 hours.... HO LEE KRAP!!

Old 10-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

what kind of motor is it??

Old 10-21-2005, 11:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

break it in like how you bought it, my suggestion is, run it gentle first to tanks of gas, change the oil, and drive it like you stole it

Old 10-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Gix
Weekend Warrior

it's just the stock polaris 250 cyclone motor. Bored .060 over.

thanks... couple of tanks, then, like I stole it... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

It's up to you, but you might want to check this thread out before lighting your engine off.Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

read this,,,,, it might help~!

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

good luck with that!

X

Old 10-23-2005, 01:17 AM
Gix
Weekend Warrior

Both of those links are about 4-strokes. The cyclone 250 is a 2-stroke. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-23-2005, 03:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Gix your point is well taken. And a two stroke ring seal is not a critical as a four strokes. A two stroke makes power on every stroke so loss of power from a poor ring seal will not show up as bad as a four stroke.
With a four stroke you will burn oil and it will show up coming out of the pipe. Even an amateur can tell that things arn't right when they see smoke coming out of a four stroke pipe. With a two stroke, you just loose power and races and can't tell by the smoke if the ring seal is bad.

Since we are talking about two strokes and break-in lets think about this for a minute. Common applications for two strokes are chain saws, leaf blowers, outboard boat motors, ect, ect.
I don't know about anybody else but when I bought my new chain saw I brought it home, mixed up some gas, lit her off, warmed her up and had at it on several cords of wood WOT. Yes WOT. No, I did not run the saw half throttle for a tank or two of gas. How silly does that sound? Running a saw at half throttle!!! Warmed it up and WOT it went for minutes at a time. WOT until I ran out of gas and I filled it up and the same happened again. Never stuck a piston or burnt one up. Same thing with my leaf blower. WOT it went.

The most important thing with any motor is warm up time. Especially with an air cooled motor. If you hop on and crank it wide open the piston gets VERY hot very fast. The jug has not had time to grow and the chances are good for a grarffed up or stuck piston.

People can break-in their engine any way they see fit. Let them idle for 8 hours for all I care. That way, there is next to 0 chance of blowing the thing up during break-in. That is what everybody is scared of right?

Old 10-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Gix
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input Doc. That's pretty much the way I'm going. I started it last night and let it warm up, then putted around the backyard a little then let it sit over night. Today I'll retorque the head and see how fast I can go in the backyard and still get enough brakes without landing in the neighbors pool. Might have to trailer the thing out to some open space next weekend. weeeee...