Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Newbie-On demand 4X4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Newbie-On demand 4X4?

Well, I bought a used 2000 325 4X4 Magnum. I was just reading the manual and it has on demand 4X4? I figured if I switched it to 4X4 it would be so until I switched it back. Does this system work- suppose to sense rear tire slippage and lock in front wheels? Is it dependable and what is the advantage and/or disadvantage to true all time 4X4. Does it work well for snow plowing? Do they still use it on their new bikes? Thanks- as I am slightly uneasy about this elctronically controlled 4X4 system.

Old 11-05-2005, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

yes, it works on a slip basic, and it works great for snow plowing, in my opinion its the best awd out there...

Old 11-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

Good! system.. you need to keep the front hub oil changed whenever it gets a little dirty or it might cause some problems with not comeing out of awd. you can use synthictic ATF that works well...some on here might prefer or sugguest a different oil. if your not sure about what to use just get the polaris stuff.
Be a good idea to change it now so you know it's clean no water or dirt in it. along with the rest of the fliuds.

Jeff

Old 11-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Trailblazer

Still slightly confused and I have now read through all the other posts about the AWD system. I don't seem to have an indicator light so I am not sure how I will know if it is engaging, disengaging and working correctly. If I have rear slippage and then twenty feet later it stabilizes is is going to pop back into two wheel drive? Then if I hit another slick spot another twenty feet back into 4 wheel and back and forth? Seems like a system setup to fail especially since you are relying on electronics. What is the life expectancy of a system like this?

Old 11-06-2005, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

its the best system the rear slipage is like 1/8 inch and the fronts grab its the best because you can drive with it on and not even know it, it doesnt affect performance it just switches on and off as needed..

Old 11-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

its the only 4wd system i have ridden on quads that dont affect the stering of the quad. It does work great but requires more maintenance. the hub fluid is only 8 bucks and its real easy to change. I still like a locking differential better when going through real thick stuff but locking diffs make it real hard to steer.

Old 11-06-2005, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: gillly
Seems like a system setup to fail especially since you are relying on electronics. What is the life expectancy of a system like this?
The system is not that technical. The switch only activates a magnet in the hubs and when there is slippage the Hilliard clutch mechanically engages the front wheels. True 4x4 and to me the best four wheel drive system out there.......

Old 11-06-2005, 10:29 PM
Trailblazer

OK. That sounds more reliable and it seemed to work today. I hear the hub fluid needs to be replaced periodically to allow the front hubs to disengage correctly. The manual said to turn the hubs to 4 o'clock position and remove set screw to see if fluid comes out or needs to be added. I would suspect you guys are talking about turning the hub around so all the fluid drains out of the hub and then back to to 4 o'clock and refill until it starts to run out hole?

Old 11-06-2005, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

That is right. I use synthetic ATF and the hubs hold so little I flush them every time and change it often for trouble free 4x4.....

Old 11-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Trailblazer

One more stupid question. Where is the best place to jack up this beast so you don't mess with the strut system? I figure a nice block of wood between your jack and the front belly center to lift the whole front end up at once?

Quick Reply: Polaris Newbie-On demand 4X4?