Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Question: Grease Gun & Zerk Hook-up

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 05:49 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: Grease Gun & Zerk Hook-up

Okay, I been digging around here and I cant seem to find anything out about this so here we go [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I bought the 4 pack of 3oz Pure Polaris grease tubes on Friday for $12. (its purple, wierd.) Then I went to Pepboys and bought a $10 3oz grease gun with a single tube of multi-purpose grease.

SOOOOO I get home, install a tube of purple polaris grease, and go to fit it on the first upper A arm front zerk and it doesnt fit. Or at least didn't seem like it. I was looking at the zerk and looking at the grease gun tip (it had the 3 sided triangle thing going on.) I found if I pushed REALLY hard it would pop on.

So pump pump pump, purple grease comes out the sides, great, next zerk. BUT WAIT! I cant get the damn thing off. I pulled and pulled and it finally popped free. So I did that two more times and when I got to the fourth I couldnt get it on. So I looked in the tip of the grease gun and saw one of the triangle blade things pushed in.

So I wrote it off as a defective tip, went to autozone and bought another 3oz grease gun with 3 different adapters and two different tips. Again I found it was super hard to put on and off. I found if I loosened up the tip a tad that it went on and off easier, at the cost of some grease oozing out the side.

Why is this such a pain? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 11-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes if you have to much weight on things it's hard to pump the grease in and makes it hard to get off like it has some sort of lock. If you take the weight off of what you are greasing like using a jack or jack stands and let it hang free it should help. If the fittings are different and you don't have too many just change them it might make it an easy life down the road.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Range Rover

I was under the impression that all the zerk fittings were universal. I didnt think to jack the bike up and take the pressure off. I'll try that tonight and hopefully that will help.

Any other ideas?

Old 11-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

new grease gun fittings are very hard to put on new grease fittings. after you use that new gun for a while it will get easier to put on and take off. i keep my old female fittings off old worn out grease guns so i dont have to break in the new tight ones. when removing the female from the fitting try rocking it back and forth while pulling. i have been greasing equipment for over 20 years at my job. what you experienced is a normal thing.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

Well I hope I didn't screw up too bad. The first thing I did when I got home my slightly used 2000 Magnum 4X4 was grab the old grease gun and hit every zerk I could find. The grease is plain old good quality for the trucks and jeeps. Is it really necessary to buy and use the premium polaris purple grease? If so should I just ride her until most of the plain old grease is forced out and then only use the polaris stuff from there on or does it really matter? I figure keep her greased and the knuckles and joints will last even if it isn't the polaris stuff........

Old 11-09-2005, 09:16 AM
Range Rover

I have heard of people using about every different type of grease you could imagine. I was getting so confused about what kind to use, that when I was in Metromotor sports and I saw the "official" stuff for a not to bad price, I just said to hell with it and bought Polaris' stuff. Im sure they put some sort of dye in the grease to make it that color, since I cant think of any practical reason that it would be that color cause it needs to be.

I got a buddy that was telling me to use any kind of grease that said "moly" in it, but not moly lithium. Im still confused and at $12 for four 3oz tubes I'll just keep getting the polaris stuff for now.

Okay, 20 years greasing things sounds good to me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] Its just I broke the one (or is it fixable?) and I didnt want to keep breaking things only to find out $50 in grease guns later I was doing something wrong.