Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Taking a closer look at Polaris...finally

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking a closer look at Polaris...finally

I have been pretty critical of Polaris in the past. One of the major reasons is the horrible service record that I have heard about. However, after spending several years getting into the "real woods"' I have come to realize that i need a TRUE utility machine to get in there. I have owned numerous "sport/utility" machines. Sure...their fun however in real world applications they have extreme limitations. A few friends have Polaris stuff and they seem to go "anywhere." I am taking a closer look at you guys....I need something that is tough.

Old 11-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

LOL Pastor.. I think you will be pleasanly suprised that Polaris is in fact quite reliable. We have taken our quads through quite a bit and wouldn't trade them for anything!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Bryce

Old 11-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I agree........the polaris reputation is one of the best now........15yrs ago......I might agree, but now.......we are very close to the top!!!!

We have a sp700.....around the farm, it does anything we want it too.......and we put it to some real conditions. It pulls this wagon we have(that probably weights 400lbs).......it pulls it through tilled dirt fields.......with 28(50lb) bags on it......then probably 4 on the quad.....and the rider. It also pulls a lot of our bigger wagons around the farm. Its real handy to back things in the shed with, rather than a pick up. We also use it and our wagon to cut trees and haul fire wood.

They are super riding......and the power is there too(although it might not "feel" like it, like some of the other brands).......the power is meant to be smooth and even.....yet still there.

Old 11-14-2005, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

Pastor, just to expand your options. Arctic Cat make real good go anywhere machines also and are very reliable. especially the 500cc models. the poo poo's are good to. THe sp500 is a legend.

Old 11-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

pastor im not sure where your loyalties are as i have read your posts in the bomb forums and the suzuki forums also i have rode many of the OTHER brands and i own a polaris i also sell them and honda and yamahas also. i would buy a new polaris today only if i could however i have worked mine rode mine and abused it faithfully for five long years it now has 3500 miles on it and they have been hard miles to say the least it has never let me down there is good and bad in all machines dont let someone elses bad luck or stupidity influence what you buy go out and ride a 05 or 06 and then tell us what you think of the ride and performance a polaris is a machine that will do anything you want some may do somethings better but a poo can do it all [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

COLT...My loyalty lies with whoever is the best for what i need. I have been ridinfg Suzukis for years and LOVE them. That will never change...however...I am looking at purchasing a utility model that is not intended for sport.

Old 11-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

well for under 6 grand a 500 soortsman is the all around best buy the 700s are mid 6s for carb and 7000.00 for an efi for all around utility use and riding i think its the best good luck in your choices

Old 11-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

Colt..Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

Just curious as to what you need to use the utility for?

I was in just the opposite of the situation your in. I bought a Polaris sportsman 400 and decided I needed a quad focused more on pleasure riding than working, but I still needed a ute for plowing so I went with the KQ. But your looking at the right brand for a true utility ATV. The Polaris sportman's have waaaay better racks than the KQ, they have stronger/bigger axles/ tierods, and scratches on the plastic don't show up nearly as much. Their added weight makes them tow like no other. My 400's tow rating was 1500lbs and my KQ's is 992lbs, enough said. I really don't know the comparison of plowing snow though since I haven't plowed with my KQ yet....but I just put my plow together and I'll be able to compare them if your interested, as soon as it snows. I plowed a lot with my 400 and it did good but I could have used the 500's extra power though or the 700's. The only problem I kept having was the cv joint boots kept ripping, most likely because I was driving it more like a sport. I'd recommend either the 500 or the 700....just be sure and tell me what your planing on using it for the most, and then I could recommend one over the other.

Old 11-14-2005, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

THe arctic cat 500 manual or auto is a great workhorse also, huge racks, built in 2 inch hitch, 12 ground clearance and 6.5gallon gas tank. . if you need more power than that get the 650 h1. Also check out arctic cats bolt on hunting accesories. they are real nice.

Quick Reply: Taking a closer look at Polaris...finally