Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris winter problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris winter problems

Originally posted by: Kerbmonster
it doesn't have enough cold cranking amps and if you have the right polaris oil, it's not gonna get thick enough to have the motor not crank
hey we already resolved this problem,

Old 11-25-2005, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

oh yea, she's seen some deep water/mud holes, but never any probs with it running, never any probs up until the starting now. I'll try the drain plug idea, it makes sense cause the pull rops felt damp when it pulled right out, why would the pull rope not be attached and come out loose like that?

Old 11-25-2005, 07:58 AM
Trailblazer

I think there might be two reasons for it to just pull up. One, the spring frose, but it should still be able to recoil, the second is the realease type fingure is probably frozen and not retracting therefore it's not making contact with the flywheel. Oh, and on the slight chance the spring might be broken...

Old 11-25-2005, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: NickDS650
oh yea, she's seen some deep water/mud holes, but never any probs with it running, never any probs up until the starting now. I'll try the drain plug idea, it makes sense cause the pull rops felt damp when it pulled right out, why would the pull rope not be attached and come out loose like that?
There is a sort of one-way clutch on there that makes the rope catch when you pull the rope, but allows it to freespool as it winds back up. This is the mechanism that probably froze, making the rope never re-engage to the shaft.

Old 11-26-2005, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

As the guys here already stated you gotta dry out the innards of that housing, but don’t forget to dry the rope too because it absorbs water.

Old 11-26-2005, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

Yea i'll haveta keep it warm for a while and drain that out, makes sense cause the one time it was warm after i noticed the prob, it started w/ the electric and i tryed the pull start to be sure and that started it as well, so no broken parts. I'll warm 'er up and see what happens, thanx for the replies guys

Old 11-29-2005, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

Well it was 55* today and the Polaris started right up, so im lookin underneath for a drain plug and i only saw the plug right under the pull starter but that was an oil plug, and the other plug was a red plug and it was on the other side of the quad and nothin came outa that one, when i spoke to the dealership about the problem they said there will be a drain plug under the pull starter where water can come out, is the red tipped plug the only one?
While she was running i pulled the pull starter out a lil bit and it was steaming out of there like boiling water, turned it off and the pull start rope was wet so the water freezing seems like my prob, now to find out how to get it out...

Old 11-29-2005, 01:03 AM
Trailblazer

Funny thing is, mine has started doing this the other day...again, seems like every year I have to drain it. I usually end up taking the hole casing off...clean everything inside and put it back together. The drain plug on mine is on the back side of the casing facing the rear break lever pivot. The plug is at a slight angle. You can't miss it, its on the casing itself...

Old 11-29-2005, 10:59 AM
Trailblazer

Same thing happened to my Scrambler 500 h.o. a couple of years ago it seems that it was a combination of all these problems. When it first started I would pull the pull cord about a 1/3rd the way out several times until it would finally engage then I would pull it til my arm fell off which would thin the oil just enough that my electric start would turn it over of course with jumper cables attached from another vehicle. After driving hours to ride I would try anything to get it started. After doing that a few trips in a row my pull start acctually came apart and was useless. I did buy a new battery after that and had no problems the rest of the winter. Funny thing is that after I would finally get it started and ran it for a while it would start right up the rest of the day. It just needs a blanky, enclosed trailer, or some source of heat prior to starting. lol

Hope this helps. As you can see my next purchase was an EFI and have had no starting problems since.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

Took the plug out and some water, muddy water i might add lol, came out from the drain plug, a lot less than i thought would be in there, but the pull rope is soaked so i figured most is in the rope, started it up and ran it, took the air hose to the top to blow moisture out of the casing and of the rope, put some lube on the rope to eat the water out and put it all back together, ran it and let it idle for bout 15 min, wanted the engine to get warm/hot, now it's gonna be cold tomorrow morning, we'll see if that fixed the prob.
Thanx for the help guys, i called the dealership one more time and i got a lady since the guys were out hunting lol and she said there was no reason for the pull rope to just pull out, said something must be broken, so i said well when its warm out i used the pull rope and it starts it right up, shes like that doesnt make sense sir lol, i was like well thats whats goin on and i asked about the clutch you mentioned tyler711 and she said there is no such thing inside there, i think she was full of sh*t and wanted me to just bring it to them to fix it to get my $$ lol

Quick Reply: Polaris winter problems