Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris winter problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris winter problems

Just curious, how cold is cold when your machine won't start? I've got a 2000 Sportsman 500 that only gets ridden about 5-6 miles twice weekly through the winter. I keep it outside, covered with a tarp and it starts up with the electric start every time, at least down into the low teens. I'm just wondering if I can expect these problems when it starts getting below zero. I think the battery is 3 years old.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

I run my Sportsman most every day summer and winter, the only cold starting problem I have ever had is from a low battery. Even really cold, right now it -22, tomorrow I might need to use the rope if the battery is too low from the cold but it will go.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Vaquero
I run my Sportsman most every day summer and winter, the only cold starting problem I have ever had is from a low battery. Even really cold, right now it -22, tomorrow I might need to use the rope if the battery is too low from the cold but it will go.
Yeah, they really don't have too much of a problem with the cold. I got mine to start with the key when it was -35 one night, but I only got 3 cranks from the battery. You just have to be careful and be familiar with how your machine likes to be started, with choke and throttle.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: tyler711
Originally posted by: Vaquero
Yeah, they really don't have too much of a problem with the cold. I got mine to start with the key when it was -35 one night, but I only got 3 cranks from the battery. You just have to be careful and be familiar with how your machine likes to be started, with choke and throttle.

I will agree with the above, however, once condensation finds it's way in the starter area, you will soon find out that you can have the best battery, you will never get it to crank if it's freezing outside. Other that, my sportsman will start no problem and Idles within the first 10secs without the choke on...

Old 12-07-2005, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

The problem is the starter drive. Remove it and clean it really well.

If it is dirty all it takes is just a bit of frost to keep it from working as it should and if it is dirty enough just the cold without any ice may keep it from working.

After you clean it wash it down good with WD-40 and shake out most of the lube.

You want to install it just slightly damp with WD-40.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

its in the 20's now, took it for a long ride the other day after pull starting it, now it starts fine wit the electric start. Was not a battery problem as stated, its a brand new machine. I got water in the pull starter and that iced up in there to keep the starter from working, after draining it there must have been a lil moisture left in and after running it all day it must have evaporated b/c all is good now, Thanx for the info guys