Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris winter problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris winter problems

Hi all.. Just thought Id drop my 2 cents in here.. As far as my batteries on my bikes an quad what I use to keep them charged thru the winter? I found a charger from vdcelectronics called "The Battery minder" It is a 12volt/1amp trickle charger. It is capable of charging 4 batteries of the same type at the same time. The cool thing about the charger is that it only charges when the battery needs it and can bring back sulphated batteries and recondition them back to life. There are no other chargers that can do this. I looked at the Battery tender but it didnt compare to the Batery Minder.

They even have a 'hog ring' connector. Connect the hog rings up to the battery and run the lead to a spot to connect to the frams and when the quad goes up for storage just pop off the protective cap and plug in the charger. Takes literally 2 seconds.

I swear by this charger. Their customer service there is top notch.
I dont work for these guys, i know it sounds like a plug for them. I have 3 of these chargers. 1 is on my 2 bikes (made a custom connector pig tail for this application), 1 is on my classic car and the other is on my lawnmower battery.

The model i have is a #12112.
Of the 3 I have, 1 came from ebay a used one, 1 I got from John Deere Heratage, These guys are great to deal with $39.90 plus shipping of what ran 9 bucks and the last one came from from a local dealer here where I live it ran me 46.06 for a charger. VDCelectrovcics.com charges $58.00. You can get them on ebay also. But I believe the vdc web page has a locater that you can do a search to find a dealer in your area.

Heres a snipit from their web page.

Battery Minder link

Features

Safely charges-maintains-conditions all size and type starter, deep cycle, maintenance-type, maintenance-free, sealed, gelled, AGM or dry-type batteries.
Charges and maintains from 1 to 4 batteries at a time (12 Volt batteries parallel-connected or two 6 Volt batteries series-connected) for less than 15¢ per month.
Automatically removes (dissolves) harmful sulphation using safe, U.S. patented electronic pulse technology.
The unit automatically desulphates in the maintenance mode after it completes the charging cycle.
Guaranteed to never overcharge any battery, regardless of how long connected.
No need to add water to maintenance-type batteries during long, non-use storage.
Isolation transformer and smart chip technology ensure safe, long-term performance.
Splash proof, conformal-coated circuitry ensures trouble-free life even in high-moisture marine environments.
Allows battery to be stored safely at -0°F to +120°F.
Unit comes complete with Qwik connect/disconnect battery clips and a ring terminal assembly for permanent connection with an easily replaceable fuse.
Full year 100% money-back guarantee takes the risk out of trying this great product.
Five (5) year warranty covers everything except physical abuse.

Old 11-29-2005, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah. On my profile it says "Weekend warrior" how many posts does it take to get your upgrade?? Just curious.

Old 11-29-2005, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

Post 21 did it!!! Woo Hoo im a trailblazer.. Not a noobee!! Lol

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

Now that its back to below freezing and i was determined that i had it fixed, went to turn the key and i got that annoying buzzz sound again, i was so pissed, but i tryed the pull start and it worked fine, started right up. Rode 'er for 30 min straight so the engine was nice and toasty, stopped and turned 'er off, used the key start and started right up, now that tells me its def a cold / frozen problem with the starter.... any ideas ?

Old 12-03-2005, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

mine did it to me also. i still think its the batterys getting weak from the cold...
do you keep it in a garage or shed or something or just outside??

Old 12-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: NickDS650
Now that its back to below freezing and i was determined that i had it fixed, went to turn the key and i got that annoying buzzz sound again, i was so pissed, but i tryed the pull start and it worked fine, started right up. Rode 'er for 30 min straight so the engine was nice and toasty, stopped and turned 'er off, used the key start and started right up, now that tells me its def a cold / frozen problem with the starter.... any ideas ?
That could also mean that the battery charged enough while riding to start it up. Try jumpstarting the quad in the cold-- if it works, you know it's not a temp problem but a battery problem.

Old 12-03-2005, 06:39 PM
Trailblazer

the last ride it was like 28 outside and my trailblazer did the same thing zzzzzz, but my pull starter worked, and after my engine warmed up the starter worked fine for the rest of the day even through the deep water that i pounded through.

Old 12-03-2005, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer

Like I said earlier, very commun problem. I have a propane heater that I use and put it right over the casing of the pull rope, withing 10mins the starter works fine again. Best way to fix it, is taking the pull rope casing off and cleaning, drying and adding a bit of lube to the system and it usually works for a year till you have to do it again. I've even gone to the extreme of taking the starter off and servicing it, but it is not worth it...Oh, and my pull is broke, so I don't have a choice but to use the starter [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] (not fixing the pull rope again, it is worthless)

Old 12-06-2005, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

Yea i tryed charging and testing the battery, its full and good to go. I also pulled the pull rope out and dryed and lubed it. I keep the quad in a shed with my DS. I see no point in takin it to the dealership to pay $$$$ when i could pull start it on the days its wicked cold and use the key after 5 min warm up, now i hope the pull rope doesnt go on me lol

Old 12-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Range Rover

GO BUY A NEW BATTERY

Quick Reply: Polaris winter problems