Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Does anyone have a scrambler with a rear brake that works?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 07:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have a scrambler with a rear brake that works?

Sorry it takes me so long to reply, but my computer time is spurratic and limited. My rear reservoir is the plastic "bowl" type and the lid simply screws on. The front reservoir, which I have only bled once, has a cap with four screws. The teflon tape was wrapped around the threads on the "bowl". The real test will come now as the weather is staying below freezing now and this seems to be when I have the most trouble.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 12-20-2005, 02:45 AM
Pro Rider

Its' supposed to be an auxillery brake and i rarely use mine but it will lock up the rears.
I needed to bleed them to work right.

Jim

Old 12-20-2005, 08:31 AM
Range Rover

As FTWFLH and JimmyPSP 700 touched upon....AUXILLERY BRAKE/ Not Engineered to be used as a PRIMARY BRAKE)!!
Unless the brake line is separated from the factory installation the hand lever operates the front brake (65% or 70%) and rear brake (30% or 35%). That is an approximate ratio breakdown which adds up to 100% braking function when the hand lever is squeezed.
The thinking is that when a brake is "LOCKED UP" your stopping distance increases due to the skidding of the locked up wheel. I know we like to use the rear brake to skid or slide the corners faster but the Scrambler system as it is in factory stock form is not meant to be used as a rear skidding wheel!!
If you use the foot pedal for this you are using 30--35% of the systems ability to stop.
When I first got my Scrambler I found it really hard not to use the rear (AUXILLERY/EMERGENCY?) brake. I since have become accustomed to using the lever only and found that I do stop much sooner without skidding,( NO MORE SLIDING AROUND CORNERS THOUGH). When family and friends ride my machine I tell them DO NOT USE THE PEDAL because excessive use of the foot pedal causes the rear brake to fail.
Think of it like the ANTI-LOCK system used on other motor vehicles which meter and adjust the flow or pressure of the fluid to the wheel that starts to skid!
HERES WHERE PEOPLE ARE GONNA HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY RESPONSE IF THEY HAV"NT YET
Filling the fluid over the recomended level is the wrong fix for this situation.....WHEN YOU PUT OIL IN YOUR CAR ENGINE DO YOU FILL IT TILL IT COMES OUT OF THE BLOCK? NO ? WHY? I ask the same question with the Truck/car brake reservoir !!
Actually the crankcase fill is a bad example I just added it to make you ask yourself the "Fill To Top " question.
THINK ABOUT IT... Remember FLUIDS DO NOT COMPRESS!! Then where do they go weedhopper? LMAO... Sorry bout this long A$$ thread.......

Old 12-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

I Agree and UNDERSTAND that the rear is an auxilliary brake. However, I do not see any harm in having an open and liberal discussion on methods to fix it and ensure that the auxilliary/emergency brake works in a situation that demands it. What is the point of even putting the brake on if the manufacturer doesn't intend for the consumer to use it? I don't think it matters it the brake is not intended for everyday use, it should still be functional and therfore safer.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 12-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

Hey jimmypsp700 and HAMMERINHANK. I agree with scrammy01. Our discussion is not what the pedal is; I think we all know what it is. Our discussion it is how to assure it works and look at typical problems that riders have with the rear brakes. As far as filling the reservoir, when I look at the high fill line on my reservoir, it is just about at the top of the reservoir and thats about where the rubber bellows sits. So I don't see the terrible overfilling problem you are refering to. Seems to me that the meniscus of the fluid, tops it off without going past the high line. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Also, since the rubber bellows will displace some of the fluid out of the reservoir when it is put on, there should not be a pressure in the rear brake line due to filling the reservoir.

Anyone else have some usefull information??
Bryce