Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Cheaper oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Cheaper oil change

20045sp500ho,

Cornbread obviously does not understand how viscosity and bearing clearance works. Would you use 20w50 in a 4cyl gas motor and 5w30 in a diesel? There is a reason why they recommend a certain viscosity. It all has to do with bearing clearance. Think of it this way. Take water and suck it through a straw and see how easy it is then take honey and try sucking it through. You would starve the bearings of oil if you go too thick and if you go too thin there would not be enough cusion between the bearing and the crank and eventually it will lead to failure. Any manufacturer will give a specified viscosity at all temps. As long as you follow that then you will not have any problems. There is NO reason to go with a thicker oil even in hotter temps. It does not benefit you in any way. If it gets more than 120 degrees then your nuts for riding in those temps.

Old 12-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So do you think I should stay with the 0w-40? I don't think the 5w would be to thick for my area. I hardly ever ride below freezing.

Old 12-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I cant tell you to do anything but if the temps that you ride in never exceed the viscosity rating of the quad then why change. I am a Toyota mechanic and I firmly believe in manufacturer ratings. They rate viscosity on bearing clearance and temperature. I would recommend staying with the synthetic.

Old 12-09-2005, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't changed my oil yet but was planning to tomorrow. I might go get some 0w-40 Mobil 1. This is 5w-50 Castrol Syntec that I got I would never put non-synthetic oil in my sportsman.

Old 12-09-2005, 11:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thats why Polaris recommends 0w40 viscosity because it does cover such a wide range. If you ride in temps between -40 and 120 then it is better to be safer than sorry.,

The viscosity grade (for example, 5W-30) tells you the oil's thickness, or viscosity. A thin oil has a lower number and flows more easily, while thick oils have a higher number and are more resistant to flow. Water has a very low viscosity -- it is thin and flows easily. Honey has a very high viscosity -- it is thick and gooey.

The standard unit used to measure viscosity is the centistoke (cSt).
Viscosity is ordinarily expressed in terms of the time required for a standard quantity of the fluid at a certain temperature to flow through a standard orifice. The higher the value, the more viscous the fluid. Since viscosity varies inversely with temperature, its value is meaningless unless accompanied by the temperature at which it is determined.
Multi-weight oils (such as 10W-30) are a new invention made possible by adding polymers to oil. The polymers allow the oil to have different weights at different temperatures. The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, while the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperature.

At cold temperatures, the polymers are coiled up and allow the oil to flow as their low numbers indicate. As the oil warms up, the polymers begin to unwind into long chains that prevent the oil from thinning as much as it normally would. The result is that at 100 degrees C, the oil has thinned only as much as the higher viscosity number indicates. Another way of looking at multi-vis oils is to think of a 20W-50 as a 20 weight oil that will not thin more than a 50 weight would when hot.

Old 12-09-2005, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

I was trying to stay away from this discussion but something inside just wont let me. The listers on the forum stating 5w50 is the way to go are not totally correct. You need to understand what the numbers mean and once you do you can make an informed decision. 5W50 does not mean 5W50W, the 5 is a number relating to the pour point of the oil in cold temperatures (can't remember exactly what but I could find out if necessary). The 50 is the viscosity of the oil at NORMAL ENGINE OPERATING TEMPRATURE. Therefore if your engine is designed for *W40 it would be advisable to stick with *W40, *W50 would have a higher viscosity at normal operating temps. Now if you live in warmer climates then the lower number could be higher if you wish but not necessary. If you find a deal on 5W40 synthetic then go for it but stay with the W40 for you engines sake.
I hope this is of some help.

Old 12-09-2005, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2manytoys
Thats why Polaris recommends 0w40 viscosity because it does cover such a wide range. If you ride in temps between -40 and 120 then it is better to be safer than sorry.,

The viscosity grade (for example, 5W-30) tells you the oil's thickness, or viscosity. A thin oil has a lower number and flows more easily, while thick oils have a higher number and are more resistant to flow. Water has a very low viscosity -- it is thin and flows easily. Honey has a very high viscosity -- it is thick and gooey.

The standard unit used to measure viscosity is the centistoke (cSt).
Viscosity is ordinarily expressed in terms of the time required for a standard quantity of the fluid at a certain temperature to flow through a standard orifice. The higher the value, the more viscous the fluid. Since viscosity varies inversely with temperature, its value is meaningless unless accompanied by the temperature at which it is determined.
Multi-weight oils (such as 10W-30) are a new invention made possible by adding polymers to oil. The polymers allow the oil to have different weights at different temperatures. The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, while the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperature.

At cold temperatures, the polymers are coiled up and allow the oil to flow as their low numbers indicate. As the oil warms up, the polymers begin to unwind into long chains that prevent the oil from thinning as much as it normally would. The result is that at 100 degrees C, the oil has thinned only as much as the higher viscosity number indicates. Another way of looking at multi-vis oils is to think of a 20W-50 as a 20 weight oil that will not thin more than a 50 weight would when hot.
I just got done reading the same article as the one above just a few mins. ago. I'm still thinking the 5w-50 Synthetic will work just fine for me. Do you really think the 5w is going to be to thick at start up?

Old 12-10-2005, 12:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Seriously I dont think it will matter. I would use the synthetic no matter what though.

Old 12-10-2005, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

I have been using the Castrol Syntec 5w50 in all of my Polaris ATV's and in all the others I service for my customers for years. I do this for a living.

Unlike some using the Polaris 0-40 NONE of the engines I have serviced on a regular basis has had a single problem. None use oil and they all have never had anything done to the engine except valve adjustment.

Many of these are 95 and 96 models and they have lots of miles and the engines are still as good as new even though they have had a very rough life.

None of the gearboxes I use this oil in have problems either.

You guys can discuss all this BS untill the cows come home but you are only discussing theory and not real world facts.

Fact is in the real world and normal temps Castrol 5w50 works fine in the Polaris engine and it is a better oil than the Polaris 0-40.

If you are set on using 0-4O then buy the Mobile one.

Old 12-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

SPORTSMAN70003 if i were you, i would stay with 0w-40.

Quick Reply: Cheaper oil change