Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

synthetic rope

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default synthetic rope

I have synthetic winch rope on both our trail machines (50’ on Warn 2.5s) and there’s no way you’d get another 5’ on the drum. Well, I guess there’s a way but you’d have to eliminate the 10’ rope protector sheath because that takes up a fair amount of room on the drum. Without the protector sheath you’d have to use a tree strap on every pull (assuming you winch to trees) and I’d be surprised if eliminating it would allow you to add more than 15’ of rope.

Old 12-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Trailblazer
Default synthetic rope

I hear that Polaris has a synthetic winch rope now. I hear it is 50'....but my dealer told me that it is just the rope, no hook on the end to attach your clasp. Would you have to buy a crimp and make your own?? I am looking at getting one because I am on my 2nd winch cable and with the amount of snow we are seeing, i can not afford to have it break in the middle of plowing.

Old 12-19-2005, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer
Default synthetic rope

I called rockstompers today and they said they have never heard of anything like that but they did say that if I were to buy one of their extentions and tie loops in to it, it would weaken it by as much as 50% ouch. I remember reading in one of my 4X4 offraod magazines they showed a range rover using this kind of strap to demonstrate different winching techniques, so tomorrow I will search my library of magazines for this article it is driving me crazy because I can't find it anywear and i've only seen it in that article.

Vic

Old 12-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default synthetic rope

Originally posted by: doctorvic
I called rockstompers today and they said they have never heard of anything like that but they did say that if I were to buy one of their extentions and tie loops in to it, it would weaken it by as much as 50% ouch. I remember reading in one of my 4X4 offraod magazines they showed a range rover using this kind of strap to demonstrate different winching techniques, so tomorrow I will search my library of magazines for this article it is driving me crazy because I can't find it anywear and i've only seen it in that article.

Vic
I have a short strap like what you are describing, but it is cheap. It came with the Tusk winch kit I have - a 10 foot tow strap with loops every foot for the last 3 feet of each end. But only the end loops are strong enough to hold a full pull.

Old 12-19-2005, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer
Default synthetic rope

I saw that in the kit when I was searching around. That is why i'm looking for a truck one because even the minimum weight of the stap would far exced any atv's maximum stuck weight(buried in the mud).

Vic

Old 12-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default synthetic rope

Originally posted by: doctorvic
I saw that in the kit when I was searching around. That is why i'm looking for a truck one because even the minimum weight of the stap would far exced any atv's maximum stuck weight(buried in the mud).

Vic
Yeah, I broke mine with a 3 foot full throttle running start with my 250 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. Got me out after I tied it in a knot, though.