Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What do I need for trail riding?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need for trail riding?

I just bought my SP800 this winter and wanted to know what I should have aboard when I go trail riding this Spring. I have a Warn 2.5 winch on the front, but what goodies do I need to have with me to avoid trouble (i.e. straps, tire repair, tools, etc.)? A list of where to get them would be good too.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

I carry a tow rope, small pair of jumper cables, 2 gallon and a half fuel jugs, small first aid kit, cheapy rain poncho, small air compressor and bottle of tire slime. Also will take along a few snacks and drinking water. Also a GPS and Cell phone.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

Whenever I go out I carry a tow rope, small tool kit, first aid kit, matches, emergency space blanket, jumper cables, tire puncture repair kit with CO2 inflator, a small tarp (in case I have to make a shelter), parachute cord, rain gear, extra fuel, extra water and snacks, a map, and cell phone. When I can afford it, I will have a GPS, too. BTW, a friend of mine who works search and rescue says the easiest color to spot from the air is blaze orange, so that is the color of my tarp. It's also a good idea to tell someone where you are going and when to expect you back. You can get a lot of this at most sporting goods stores or even Walmart.

Old 12-19-2005, 01:37 AM
Range Rover

Here's my list..
50' USGI Greenline, with a hook and clevice. Greenline is rated about 3200lb max load so it's good for giving your buddy a tow or whatever, 50' foot fits in a fairly small space, on the down side it does stretch and store energy so if you are really stressing the stuff you better weight the line 'cause if it breaks it can remove your head.
USGI rain poncho and rain pants. Weight is usually not the issue when trailriding and it's hard to buy a dryer setup than this.
Wool overshirt or sweater, some people find wool itchy but it's good stuff because it retains most of it's insulating power even when wet.
2 MREs and minimum 2 quarts of water.
Cheapo Basic Designs water filter. Gets the cooties out, Iodine works just as well but tastes funny. I only use the filter 'caus I have it.
Machette
Cold Steel SRK, IMHO this is without question the best fixed blade general utility knife for the money, I'll go so far as to say it's the best for under $150 which is three times the asking price.
I carry about 10lbs worth of tools. I have a full set of Metric and SAE sockets, combination wrenches, pliers, chanel locks, multi bit screwdriver, 10 feet of 16 gauge copper wire, electrical tape, a few butt splices, a bunch of wire ties, and DUCT TAPE, a whole roll. I am going to add a patch kit for the radiator hoses and some extra small diameter rubber hose for fuel lines and such as well as a few avaitor clamps. I'm probably going overboard on my tool bag but I have it, there's enough there to pretty much tear my quad down to the frame, and again weight is usually not an issue.
Tire patch kit, small air compressor, 16oz bottle of slime, extra valve cores, and a valve core tool.
2 1/2 gallons of extra fuel.
Short shovel
Spare drive belt
Matches or a lighter.
Basic first aid kit with crazy glue.
1/2 quart of motor oil.
GPS
Cell Phone
FRS/GMRS Radio
Heavy leather work gloves.
Several bungee cords to hold all this crap on the quad.
Other stuff as the situation dictates.
Regards
Q

Old 12-19-2005, 07:25 AM
Trailblazer

all of the above plus a roll of toliet paper in a ziplock and several individulely wrapped wipes...

Old 12-19-2005, 11:27 AM
Trailblazer

Oh yeh, I forgot to add the toilet paper and wipes, a fixed blade knife, leatherman tool, flashlight, firestarter (mixture of dryer lint and wood shavings) and duct tape. I've got it all in a padded case in my rear cargo box and I forgot what all is in there until I looked last night. And I throw in an avalanche shovel for winter riding.

Old 12-19-2005, 03:06 PM
Trailblazer

hey man i hate brining alot of stuff with me on the trail . But you definately need to be prepared. So what i have done considering that i have a scrambler and not alot of room for alot of bring along stuff is i have things zip tied to the bottom of my quad like a tire repair plug kit and instead of bringing a air pump i zip tied a small telescopic bicycle pump (lol but it works great and is small and very light weight.)Zip tie a spare belt under neath and there are spare spark plug caddies that you can buy that will hold 1-2 spark plugs.Oh yeah bring some spare zip ties .if you blow the tire bead off the rim i know this is going to sound red neck pack the tire full of grass and weeds just to get you home ,lol but it works.I tape a bunch of duct tape around a hidden spot on my frame , what doesn't duct tape fix, you just never know. I also have a couple quick links clamped underneath.Small vice grips. if you gotta chain drive bring a couple master links just in case.extra fuses if your bike uses them.safety wire.There are a lot of things that happen out on the trail that are easy to fix its just a matter of having the right stuff to fix it . Use your imagination cause all that matters is that you and your quad make it home togetherand of course your buddies quad too.

Old 12-19-2005, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, thats alot of stuff! I couldnt drive with all that stuff, would have to go to slow! The best thing to bring with you is a riding buddy. in case something happens.