Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

On Demand AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 01:16 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On Demand AWD

How can i disable the on demand awd (i have a 97 polaris 425 magnum) is it just a matter of cutting a wire or does it get deeper than that. Thanks

Old 12-23-2005, 05:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default On Demand AWD

There should be a switch for it...though I think maybe they made a few models with full time AWD.

I wouldn't know where to look on that machine, but you should be able to splice a switch into a wire somewhere for selectable 2 and 4wd.

Old 12-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default On Demand AWD

Wait, so you want to make awd inoperable? If that's what you seriously want, you can disconnect the wires leading to the front hubs on the struts (if turning off the switch just isn't enough for you)...?

If you mean you want to make it so the quad is always in AWD, you can't do that, nor would you want to.

Old 12-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Range Rover
Default On Demand AWD

What i want to try to disconnect is that when im not in 4 wheel drive and the tires are just spinning the front wheels will automatically lock in 4 wheel drive and i dont want it to lock into 4 wheel drive unless i push the button.Understand?

Old 12-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default On Demand AWD

Originally posted by: raxxor
What i want to try to disconnect is that when im not in 4 wheel drive and the tires are just spinning the front wheels will automatically lock in 4 wheel drive and i dont want it to lock into 4 wheel drive unless i push the button.Understand?
So when you are in 2wd, and spin the rear tires (like donuts or ice, etc) the fronts catch and engage suddenly?

If so, this is not an electrical problem, this is a mechanical one. Do a search and you will find tons of info on this.

Changing the hub fluid will cure this 9 times out of 10. When was the last time you changed yours? At least once a year is a very good idea.

Old 12-23-2005, 11:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default On Demand AWD

i dont think he gets how the Hillards work

Old 12-24-2005, 12:29 AM
Range Rover
Default On Demand AWD

right
the polaris on demand awd system will engage the front wheels when there is a certian amount of rear tire spin it will do this when we are in 2 wheel drive and thats the way it should be.
we would like to disable the on demand part of the system. so as we can play in 2 wheel drive without the front coming in
when we want 4 wheel drive we will push the button and have all wheels working.
i just want to conrtol when i do or dont have 4 wheel drive

Old 12-24-2005, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default On Demand AWD

Originally posted by: spyder6
i dont think he gets how the Hillards work
No, but a search would clear that right up for him.

The AWD on a polaris is both electronic and mechanical. The front hubs have a special kind of clutch in them. When energized (AWD On), they will engage the front wheels when the rear tires slip. When not energized (AWD Off) the front wheels should never engage.

When the hub gets damaged or the fluid gets bad (it must be changed just like engine oil), it can cause the front wheels to engage even when the hubs are not energized (AWD switch turned Off). This is why a change of hub fluid is the best first troubleshooting step for erratic AWD engagement. A search will give you plenty of threads on how to do this, as well as how to further troubleshoot your problem.

Let us know if you need any more help.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default On Demand AWD

Originally posted by: raxxor
right
the polaris on demand awd system will engage the front wheels when there is a certian amount of rear tire spin it will do this when we are in 2 wheel drive and thats the way it should be.
we would like to disable the on demand part of the system. so as we can play in 2 wheel drive without the front coming in
when we want 4 wheel drive we will push the button and have all wheels working.
i just want to conrtol when i do or dont have 4 wheel drive
The Polaris AWD system is NOT supposed to engage when the system is turned off. The "On Demand" designates that the front tires only get power when the rear wheels slip (when AWD is turned ON).

And by "push the button", you are referring to turning on the yellow slider switch, right?

Old 12-24-2005, 01:27 AM
Range Rover
Default On Demand AWD

fuild in hubs is new maybe 10 hours
the on demand worked that way since new. rear wheels spin, front come in even in two wheel drive.
i know front wheels are not locked in becouse i can spin rear wheels for a bit then fronts come in

we had a problem with front wheels not working .it was the switch in the shifter handle that told where shifter was
[neutral forward or reverse] I disabled the switch now the neutral light wont light we can live with that. when I engage the 4 wheel drive all four wheels turn . its like i have a locker on my polaris

I have a red push button to engage awd a light comes on

Quick Reply: On Demand AWD