Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 500 EFI Stall update...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 500 EFI Stall update...

It would be kinda hard to trade this one in because the dealer I bought it from is no longer in busness. I just got off the phone with the dealer in Nevada who says he is confident he can fix it. He said he spoke with a Polaris tec who advised him on how to test and fix the problem. I'll give an update when it's fixed.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:10 PM
Range Rover

MT,
Who is your dealer? Being in MA I just want to make sure I don't go there. I've been reading your posts on these issues and decided against the 500 EFI, I'll be picking up a 06 700 EFI Camo tomorrow. Sorry your having these problems but thanks for posting them for the rest of us to learn from.

PS
I go to Armands Power Sports in Halifax MA

Old 12-30-2005, 04:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WGMARQ
I've been reading your posts on these issues and decided against the 500 EFI, I'll be picking up a 06 700 EFI Camo tomorrow.
you made a VERY good choice with the 700EFI. (nice color too![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]) if i had some way to turn the clock back knowing what i know, the 700 (or 800) would have been my choice. i had an '05 700EFI Dale Jr. and just LOVED it!..........and you will enjoy yours as well.

my stalling issues have not been resolved. my Dealer spoke w/Polaris and they had him scan all sorts of things and they said the idle is normal. i will run TWO more tanks of fuel through this ATV- and that's the last chance i will give this ATV.

i will not continue living with this nonsence any longer.

~MT

BTW, my Dealer has been trying very hard to satisfy me in service to fix my ATVs problems. (name will be kept private)

Old 01-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Range Rover

redmtn and mtpockets

Just wondering if they fixed the stalling issue for ya.

Old 01-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Now this is from the dealer and I'll leave it at that, but they indicated they had sold about 30-40 500 EFI's and a number of the farmers around Idaho had hundreds of miles on them and haven't had any problems. Now they did indicate that early on there were some fuel pump problems but that those had been solved. So you can take that for what it's worth. This is the dealer I'll be buying from as I've had a number of friends buy from them without issue.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Almost 800 miles on my 500 efi. The false "HOT" reading was fixed immediately by my dealer. I had it die a couple of times when I would stop quickly, dealer shimmed the secondary clutch , Everything works perfectly!!!I would certainly do it all over again.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2006, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

When I dropped off my quad at the dealer, he hooked it up to the computer and said my throttle position sensor at idle was reading 22% open. Should be betwee 0% and 5%. He contacted Polaris and they said to replace the throttle position sensor. I hope that fixes my stalling problem. I already had my cluch adjusted and it still stalls. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's the throttle postion sensor and it will be fixed. I'll post when I find out more....

Old 01-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Range Rover

Glad to hear that they took care of you redmtn. Besides the resister fix, I haven't had any other problems with mine either. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Old 01-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: redmtn
When I dropped off my quad at the dealer, he hooked it up to the computer and said my throttle position sensor at idle was reading 22% open. Should be betwee 0% and 5%. He contacted Polaris and they said to replace the throttle position sensor. I hope that fixes my stalling problem. I already had my cluch adjusted and it still stalls. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's the throttle postion sensor and it will be fixed. I'll post when I find out more....
I thougt the TPS was supposed to be ~21% at idle. Maybe it's the butterfly that should be at ~21deg at idle that I'm thinking of....

If your TPS was that far off, it seems like it would have triggered the Check Engine light. I'm curious to see if changing the TPS actually fixes your stalling... let us know.

Old 01-08-2006, 02:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sdbowhunter
redmtn and mtpockets

Just wondering if they fixed the stalling issue for ya.
i plowed the big snow last week and had "near stalls." i have learned to play with the throttle when i meet the snowbank and stop.

yesterday i went for a joy ride. i came to a stop about 400 feet after i left the garage to zipper-up a little more (cold!LOL!) and guess what?...........yup! it stalled! i went another 200' and stopped just for kicks to see if it would happen again and it stalled TWO MORE TIMES.

throughout the rest of my ride it didn't stall AT ALL. i had a few VERY low idles which made me wonder if it was going to, but it remained running.

it's really too bad. i LOVE every aspect of this ATV. it fits me like your favorite loafers. the 4X4 in that deep snow is un-matched by ANY other mfg. i have complete confidence going through the deep stuff. yesterday was sooooooo much fun!

BUT I CAN'T STAND THE STALLING!

It's EFI and shouldn't be "almost stalling" either.

CalypsoCowboy why would a fuel pump be bad on a new ATV? i wonder if mine is bad? i turn my key on, wait for the fuel pump buz to stop, then turn the key to start.

~MT

Quick Reply: 2006 500 EFI Stall update...