Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Anybody got a Street Legal Polaris?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2000, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously, I don't want to take it on the freeway, but I would like to be able to drive it locally on county and state (New Mexico) roads legally. I do it anyway.
Turn signals, rear view mirror, Horn, what else does it need? Of course there's no rear differential but it (Sportsman H.O.) drives pretty well on pavement.
I'm sure this varies state to state big time,
out west, down south, up north would be easier than California or back east, I would think.
I sure hope we don't have to crash-test!!
Anybody know anything?
Silly Later,,,,,Fourlix

Old 11-05-2000, 03:47 PM
Trailblazer

mine is street legal.
i have a license plate and registration and insurance cards also.
south dakota said i had to have a 200cc or more engine, brake light, rearvew mirror, headlight and that's it. (no turn signals required) my plates cost me around $20 per year. the only place i am not legal to ride is the interstate. i have titan turf tires that i use during the summer and for street riding. they really are nice on pavement. turns are much more precise and when it's hot, the rear tires squak on the pavement. i love it. besides, it goes 62-63 mph, i ride on the highway and all around town.
i have been pulled over 3 times by uninformed police who assume it's illegal. i have a copy of the law right out of the books in my drybox. once i talked to one of the town cops and he asked me if i knew my hand signals for turning, etc. i told him yes, but i had seen him not use his turn signal several times as with other people in town. he wasn't amused but he did understand where i was coming from. i use my hand signals if there is someone close behind or in front of me.

Old 11-05-2000, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

Have friends in AZ. that all they have to do is put on a rear veiw mirror and get a licence plate. They can ride on the interstate if they want. They come out to Co. and ride and i'm the one that has to look out for the cops. Doesn't seem fair to me.

Old 11-05-2000, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

EVERYBODY in WV has a street-legal quad. Evidently there are no laws governing ATV use on the roads here. According to an article in the paper, I believe the only requirement is the use of hand signals. This was just discovered recently and the State Police are already looking for new laws, but they can't be passed until the next legislative session. I don't feel so bad about the test drives around my neighborhood when I'm tuning my clutch now.

Old 11-05-2000, 11:42 PM
Range Rover

Does anybody know the requirements for ATV's in Missouri? I think it would be cool to drag race some little honda 4 banger on the Belt.

Old 11-06-2000, 12:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Does anyone know the laws concerning CT or NY? Preferably CT

Old 11-06-2000, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

Check with your State Patrol. I did & found out in Nebraska, you can drive them on any road. You are to drive on the shoulder on State Highways, but otherwise it is OK as long as you have working lights, a safety flag, and use hand signals. You can do away with the flag if you stay on gravel. Some towns have ordinances against them, some don't. That is the other thing you have to check.

Old 11-08-2000, 05:51 PM
Range Rover

what is up man i posted i topic that says (can i get my 425 xpedtion bored out to a 600!!!) some people said that you might have some information on this people told me i cant get it bored out but might have some info on new piston, new cam or even a pipe that would get any were near a 500
can i get it bored to a 500 thanks for any info post your information under my topic

Old 11-08-2000, 06:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

It looks like in both CT and NY they want to you register your ATV, but the only thing you can do with it is cross roads at 45 degree angles

That sucks!