Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

trailer hitch ?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer hitch ?????

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]I have a three-way hitch with a 2"ball. Can't get either of my trailer couplers to lock down on the ball. Took the added three-way off and same problem, as if the ball is tilted forward at a angle. If I lift up the front of the atv, it couples fine. Is my hitch bent(factory defect)??? Anyone else have this problem??? Maybe I'll try a different ball. Thanks guys

Old 01-10-2006, 08:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had this problem with my Scrambler because of the angle of the hitch, just loosen the "clamp" on the tongue of the trailer and it will lock on just fine.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, your coupler is adjustable. Just look underneath and you’ll see a nut on the end of a bolt. Loosen that nut a little at a time until you find it clamps right. CAUTION! Loosening it so that it clams right on a tilted ball may make it too loose on something else so be careful.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Range Rover

Ya, I thought of doing that but the coupler on my Aluma 14' locks down just right onto my truck. I hate to loosen it up for the atv then have it sloppy on my truck towing at highway speeds with a full load. A co-worker suggested putting some "half-washer" shims under the ball on the front side to level it. I just mainly need to pull my trailer with the atv out of the back yard to the front driveway as my truck is to long to use. thanks for the replies

Old 01-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

How much tongue weight do you have? You might be able to get away with not clamping it down... The couplers are easy to adjust though, I think mine took a 3/4" socket a quarter-turn at a time.

Kinda funny trailer story. At work I have a big trailer for hauling a Dingo that fits on a 7/8" ball and the trailer goes on easy but when I got to take it off, I can crank the back wheels of the truck (1-ton dualie-rear stake-body 8x10 steel bed) off the ground with the coupler undone! I do that then take a few whacks with my hammer to knock it loose. Craziest thing I've ever seen.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:45 AM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]Ya, It's not that big a problem, I'll just get some help to pull my trailer out of the back yard by hand. Soft grass with tandem axles gets a little tough. Maybe I could "tell" or "ask" the wife about leaving it in the front yard off to the side of the house during the summer months when I need it more? Ya right, besides with my luck it would be sure to get stolen anyway.Thanks guys