Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Some Basic Quesitons

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Basic Quesitons

Hi ya'll. New guy here. First off this forum rocks Just what I needed as I just bought a 1996 400L Race Quad.

I did have some questions however, since I'm new.

1. What type of grease do I use for the unsealed OEM wheel bearings?
2. I see there is a zert of a smaller size than the rest on my quad by the front brake caliper. What type of grease do I use here?
3. Lastly, my front end is stock width, I think I would like to widen it with wheel spacers. I've read from others that they may break and really suck for MX, however I'm not planning on Big Jumps or MX. O.K. Here is the question. If I do so, then my front will be wider than my back. Is it better to have the front or rear wider? I don't see many quads with wider fronts in the magazines. So there must be a reason why.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give me and I look forward to helping anyway I can with my limited knowledge.

Regards,

Old 01-22-2006, 12:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I can tell you that if you want real power from that sport then ditch the DG and Fatty pipe and get a real pipe like an HPD or Dynoport. The DG robs power and the Fatty is very hard to tune. Im not knocking your quad just good advise from a fello Polaris owner.

Old 01-22-2006, 05:12 AM
Pro Rider

that smaller zerk on the brake is not for greasing it is for bleeding the brakes, i think that a wider front stance is also better

Old 01-22-2006, 05:14 AM
Pro Rider

sorry forgot about the bearings, i would just use bearing grease for them

Old 01-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. I use a marine grade grease for all atv grease zerks it doesnt wash out as easy in water.
2. The small zerk looking thing is the brake bleeder
3. I wouldnt worry about the width polaris are wide anyway.
4. Like 2many said ditch the DG pipe and go with a Aaen,HPD,Dynoport,Hotseat pipe and matched clutch kit.
5. Get a Chain tensioner on before doing ANY jumps.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. If I go to a new exhaust and pipe, then does anything else have to be matched. I already have a clutch kit, after buying a new pipe and exhaust I'm not going to be able to spend to much more at that time.

Thanks for the info.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: AIRMETZULU
Thanks for the info. If I go to a new exhaust and pipe, then does anything else have to be matched. I already have a clutch kit, after buying a new pipe and exhaust I'm not going to be able to spend to much more at that time.

Thanks for the info.
If you replace the pipe chances are your clutch kit wont match that pipes rpm range.
Best to get pipe and clutch kit at the same time.You can recoup some of your cash by ebaying the old stuff.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

widening it will make a huge difference!!i added a +3 axle in the rear and flipped my front rims around,the front rims being flipped will give you about 3" wider.unless your riding very tight trails then i say widen your whole machine,you wont believe how stable it becomes once you do.i ride some pretty tight trails and i wont ever consider going back to the stock width.being +3" wider on both ends i can do some 1 wheel donuts trying to get the machine to roll onto its side but it just doesnt happen,i get thrown off alot but the machine doesnt go over..

the only way id go with a dynoport pipe is if i wanted to stick with the stock clutch engagment,
my brother has one on his 99 sport with near stock clutching,im not impressed by it at all,my hpd pipe with their clutch kit pulls twice as hard from bottom to top,i say dont waste your money on a dynoport..

Old 01-22-2006, 03:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have wheel spacers in the rear already. However, my rims are ITP. Not sure if I can flip the front one however. If I do add wheel spacers in the front then my front is going a be a hair wider then the rear. I don't see this as a problem. Anybody see it differently?