Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500 EFI yes / no

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 11:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 EFI yes / no

I'm thinking about buying an 06 500 EFI, I've read about the problems but I'm having a hard time resisting the 0 down, free year, 3 year warrenty, $1 over invoice deal ($6250+ tax) my local guy has right now. I have to think they will get the bugs out of them? I love my 05 500 Carb and haven't had any problems with it. What do think??

Old 02-05-2006, 12:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 500 EFI yes / no

i think that the 500's have been out long enough here for the factory problems to get worked out on them, now its just the endurance bugs. as far as that, id say go for it now, just dont give up what you have, you may end up not liking it and regret selling the other ones.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider
Default 500 EFI yes / no

Indyguy, I debated over these issues also. Ended up buying the 06 700EFI instead. The two dealers near here and a couple of guys I've ridden with haven't had the problems that we've read about on the forum. I guess in your case I would base my decision on how well I trusted my dealers service department in case you do have a problem. Question the dealer to see if you can determine how they will handle a problem should one arise. Have him show you the way they read the diagnostics with the computer software. If they aren't proficient with this you may need to either find a dealer who is , consider a different model, or give them some time to work out the bugs if they do exist. I have a good dealer who I have confidence in, but the possibilities of service issues on the 500EFI and the difference in power to weight ratios helped me decide on the 700EFI. Good luck in making your decision.

Old 02-05-2006, 02:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 500 EFI yes / no

I think Fireslayer hit it on the head, being a first year they may have more issues than some of the other models, but if you've got a competent service guy I'd say go for it. I got one and am happy, with the three year extended warranty that should cover any big issues.

Old 02-05-2006, 08:24 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 500 EFI yes / no

im amazed at all the problems of the 500 efi is having w/ the efi set up. is it that much differnt then the 700 or 800 efi set up in winch i havent heard any problems like their having?

Old 02-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider
Default 500 EFI yes / no

Yes its that much different!! On the 500 efi, they went with a total different injector. Its not working properly at this point. I think they will change for 07??

Noble

Old 02-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Trailblazer
Default 500 EFI yes / no

Stay away from the 500 efi!!! Overheating, Stalling, Melting plastic !!!! What is next to come!!! By something that is proven!!!!!!

Old 02-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default 500 EFI yes / no

Thank's you the input... I'm not sure I want something as big as the 700 but I'll give that some thought.

The 3 year warrenty deal is supposed to end this month, my thinking is that this should cover anything that comes along.
This dealer replaces (they say) all the fan relays when they assemble them. They haven't seen any other issues with them.

I'm keeping my 05 500, this is a case of needing a second machine for my fleet for my wife, kids, friends to ride. The two I'm considering are the Hawkeye or 500EFI. I haven't riden the Hawkeye, but I have to think there's no way it can ride as smoothly as the Sportman does (repoted as hard riding with a 200# male) . I'm also somewhat concern about the first year issure2 of the entire machine.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 500 EFI yes / no

dont listen to stampers, hes very bitter.

as far as the hawkeye, everyone that has one loves them. there fantastic quads, probebly the best thing polaris has put out this year. but your right, its probebly not going to have the same ride as a sportsman. i say stay away from the Sawtooth though, its just a replastic'ed pheonix

Old 02-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Trailblazer
Default 500 EFI yes / no

These forums are wonderful places to share experiences and offer advice. But that said, I always try to filter out the extreme emotions brought on by bad experiences with equipment / dealers. I have no doubt that Polaris can ship bad product, one of our sleds (02 440 Pro X Fan) is a very, very frustrating machine to deal with. It's a case of a race sled being released to the general public, the jetting needs to be changes if the ambient temp varies 10F. It's getting updated to a 600 liquid this summer.

However, the 500 EFI Sportsman is another story, this thing has to account for 50%? of POO's ATV sales. If it was universally failing there would be blood all over the place and you'd be see the 500 carb storming back into the dealers. My thinking is Polaris will stop at nothing to keep the buzz positive on this quad.

One of the dealer I work has nothing good to say about this year crop of Polaris sleds (they're authorized to BUY BACK the 4-strokes), has very positive things to say about the 500 EFI.